ZEUS - Russell Crowe

Midlife crisis? You mean the movie where the Warriors Three are killed, Odin dies, and Asgard is destroyed in the same film wasn't enough of a crisis for Thor?

The difference might be that Ragnarok was an exterior crisis while the midlife crisis is an internal one.

Definitely going for that more fun vibe. The portrayal of Zeus of a bit of a jerk isn't anything new either and it almost feels like Zeus/Olympus is for TLT what The Grandmaster/Sakaar was for Ragnarok, down to the "gladiatorial" fighting, big statues, palaces...

I've seen the new awesome trailer :)

So, the greek gods actually exist in MCU.
How can that work, logically?

Let's take a close look at the matter.
I don't think Zeus is going to be present only for the sake of introducing Hercules, with the latter as the real big thing. No, we have to take the whole greek pantheon into the equation.
It's not only Zeus but also Poseidon, Hades, Athena, Ares, Hephaestus, Apollo, Hermes etc.
It must mean the mythology is real. And these gods have been around for millennia.

Why weren't these gods ever mentioned in MCU before? The Asgardians must have known about them, or else it would be very strange.
Heimdall claimed he sees everything in cosmos? Did he know?
Not even Odin gave any hints he knew about the greek gods, which is weird considering he and Hela conquered several realms during ancient times.
Were Asgard and Olympus at odds with each other? Then why?

I hope the film will give good answers to certain things.
We shouldn't accept some poor explanations. It has to make sense with prior events of MCU

Let's say Thor didn't know about Olympus before. Then.... who told him about the place?
Or, if he knew all along, why didn't he seek help from these gods in Infinity War instead of going to Nidavellir to forge Stormbreaker? He could atleast have told them about Thanos plan, to snap away 50% of all life in the universe.

Other questions come to mind
What did the greek gods do when Malekith tried to turn the universe into darkness?
Why was the reality stone given to The Collector, who's just one guy, and not Olympus?
Thanos, and every other megalomaniac villain, would surely think twice of attacking a place where so many powerful beings would keep it safe.

And finally, what are the MCU Olympians?
Real gods?
Or just a very old race with such advanced technology it looks like magic?

Last edited:

Chris Hemsworth:
"I never thought I’d see the day where Russell would appear on screen with hints at 'Gladiator' imagery, yet with a wink—totally self-deprecating. He didn’t hold back. I’m such a fan. I have been since I first started acting. There’s such a weight and a seriousness to his performances and to him, as an individual, from afar. But meeting him, he has a great sense of humor and did whatever Taika asked on set, which was mind-blowing. And it was really fun to play with the mythology, going from Norse to Greek mythology — Taika pulls all these worlds together."

Natalie Portman:
"It was so much fun to see Russell Crowe play Zeus and have such a great sense of humor with the character. It was fun to see him be silly. I think we’re so used to him in these very strong, heroic roles, so it was fun to see him be able to let loose."

Definitely a big highlight for me. Totally unexpected but so worth it. :D

Definitely going for that more fun vibe. The portrayal of Zeus of a bit of a jerk isn't anything new either and it almost feels like Zeus/Olympus is for TLT what The Grandmaster/Sakaar was for Ragnarok, down to the "gladiatorial" fighting, big statues, palaces...

Good comparison that. :up:

I managed to go into the movie almost totally spoiler free (didn't even check out IMDB)....had no idea who played Zeus....from his first appearance to his last I had no idea it was Crowe.

I did not enjoy this performance. Could barely understand him except when he kept saying “orgy”. He played it like a mafia boss, which was weird.

I did not enjoy this performance. Could barely understand him except when he kept saying “orgy”. He played it like a mafia boss, which was weird.

Love Crowe as an actor and was excited to see him as Zeus, and while he certainly looks the part his performance fell flat. I'm not sure what he was going for, but the accent didn't work for me.

Im surprised he was hyped up so much only to.....so easily

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"