Zimmer calls Elfman's theme "JOLLY"

No, but it still means "happily silly", which to Europeans is the pennacle of greatness.

I am european and jolly is not the pennacle of greatness - it means pleasent and harmless - happy go lucky.

Seriously though, who says "Jolly good show"?

I don't think he's dissing Elfman's theme. Maybe that's how the people asking for it call it. Even if he is dissing it...wouldn't you be pissed-off if people asked about it all the time?

I don't think he's dissing Elfman's theme. Maybe that's how the people asking for it call it. Even if he is dissing it...wouldn't you be pissed-off if people asked about it all the time?

So pissed off that I could be dissing it.

Even if people is calling it that way it's up to Zimmer to show the proper respect. And if you're on showbiz you gotta be ready to bear criticism with a less thin skin.

So pissed off that I could be dissing it.

Even if people is calling it that way it's up to Zimmer to show the proper respect. And if you're on showbiz you gotta be ready to bear criticism with a less thin skin.
Well...what if Zimmer just wants to do his thing and there are all these n00bs coming up all the time that might even think BB is connected to the old films and asking about the Elfman's theme. It surely must be annoying and I would lose it at some point too. And I think it's not about having problems with criticism...it's about having problems with dumbasses who don't let people do their job :woot:
And I too think ''jolly'' isn't something bad. Wouldn't you agree that the main march is quite uplifting?

Well...what if Zimmer just wants to do his thing and there are all these n00bs coming up all the time that might even think BB is connected to the old films and asking about the Elfman's theme. It surely must be annoying and I would lose it at some point too.

I couldn't agree more about Zimmer doing his thing. If he's going to do that, then let the man do that.

Nothing further from "doing your own thing" than keep paying attention to what other people did before.

It's nobody's fault that Elfman did such a great score that everybody keeps rememering it.

As a self-respecting artist he should get over it. People annoying him can't be the reason of him trying to put ridiculous labels to other artists.

We don't have Nolan saying "I won't do any Burton merry Bat-movies" because people kept saying Batman Begins was a prequel. And I admit that should be quite annoying.

And I think it's not about having problems with criticism...it's about having problems with dumbasses who don't let people do their job

Nobody's stopping him. By labelling Elfman score as "jolly" he only made himself sound insecure. Like if he needed to call Elfman's score "jolly" to make his own score look darker by comparision.

And I too think ''jolly'' isn't something bad. Wouldn't you agree that the main march is quite uplifting?

"Jolly" is not something bad, it's something inaccurate to call Elfman's score.

Molossus sounded much more heroic and uplifting than Elfman's theme. But who thinks "jolly" describes Molossus?

I love the BB score far more than the elfman one. Elfmans score is more memorable because it's been out for 19 Years while Zimmers has only been out for 3 years. So yeah of course it's more memorable.

Oh, well...I'm just throwing around guesses about the ''got sick of hearing about it'' thing. But I think he isn't the kind of guy to bash and disrespect others' work. Leave that to pop/rock/rap stars :woot: He just worded it poorly and got misinterpreted, in my opinion. Nobody really knows what he thinks, though. So let's leave it at that.

I love the BB score far more than the elfman one. Elfmans score is more memorable because it's been out for 19 Years while Zimmers has only been out for 3 years. So yeah of course it's more memorable.

So you think quality comes in time? The more time it's out the most memorable something is? As far as I can remember Elfman's Bat-theme become attached tro Batman instantly. Same with Williams' Superman theme. Nobody was asking Williams a different kind of Superman theme back in 1980.

Oh, well...I'm just throwing around guesses about the ''got sick of hearing about it'' thing. But I think he isn't the kind of guy to bash and disrespect others' work. Leave that to pop/rock/rap stars :woot: He just worded it poorly and got misinterpreted, in my opinion. Nobody really knows what he thinks, though. So let's leave it at that.

I didn't think Zimmer was the bashing kind of guy until I read this interview.

Nobody knows what he thinks but I know what he said.:csad:

If by "theme" the person meant the actual "Batman Theme" played during the credits, then jolly isn't an appropriate word to use. That piece of music is pretty darn mysterious.

Now, if he was talking about the score played during the movie itself, then "jolly" isn't so wrong.

Keep in mind that the villain of the film was the Joker; Jack Nicholson's Joker.

Jolly could apply to some of the compositions.

Yeah, except Zimmer just pirates all his themes from other songs he's written. Elfman's is actually unique and stands on it's own, and has really attached itself to the Batman mythos. Zimmer is just some hack who does generic sounding scores.

If by "theme" the person meant the actual "Batman Theme" played during the credits, then jolly isn't an appropriate word to use. That piece of music is pretty darn mysterious.

Now, if he was talking about the score played during the movie itself, then "jolly" isn't so wrong.

Keep in mind that the villain of the film was the Joker; Jack Nicholson's Joker.

Jolly could apply to some of the compositions.

I doubt people talking to Zimmer were refering to Elfman's Joker theme.

Yeah, except Zimmer just pirates all his themes from other songs he's written. Elfman's is actually unique and stands on it's own, and has really attached itself to the Batman mythos. Zimmer is just some hack who does generic sounding scores.

And Elfman copies himself all the time.

John Williams should have scored Begins and TDK. No problems would have been had.

Why? Because he's John F'N Williams.

Zimmer isn't really bashing Elfman per se, but he does seem to think that general style is insincere. He does refer to it as fake fantasy, and says something about how he disapproved of heroic themes except for firefighters and pure heroes.

But really I think the idea of the Begins camp bashing the older films more comes from the fans. It seems people want to **** all over elements from Burton's films just to reassure themselves that Nolan's movies are absolutely perfect. The people who are convinced Jack Nicholson is completely horrible and Ledger's performance will be the greatest in film history, despite having only seen a minute or two of it, and rant about "realistic" as the only way to do a Batman movie and anything else being a mistake.

For the most part, the actual film makers only genuinely like their ideas better. It's their supporters that make it seem malicious.

I think it's kinda fact that Elfman's score is better than Zimmer's.

What made the musical score for B'89 so riveting and epic was the fact that Burton and Elfman complimented one another so nicely. Burton's visuals allowed Elfman's score to transfix us (which is the reason Elfman's score wouldn't work well with Begins). Likewise, Elfman's music made Burton's images much more powerful and emphatic.

Descent into Mystry may very well be the best Batman sequence on film. EVER. It's simply a collection of images and musical notes that captures the essence of Batman and bottles it into amazing scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"