Zoe Kravitz IS Catwoman

For me, Pfeiffer still edges out the win since she was fully Catwoman, the look is iconic, and she had some iconic moments.

Kravitz is still a kitten, still loved her but i want to see a fully-fledged Catwoman.
Pfeiffer is definitely most iconic for me (easier with having so much more time to secure her place). Zoe has the advantage in terms of being able to return and solidify her legacy though unlike the either film Catwomen. A shame Anne didn’t get another chance as I think she had a lot of potential and she just wasn’t the focus of TDKR.

I really hope they give Kravitz a HBO Max series following her on her travels through Bludhaven and possibly even abroad. She then returns for the sequel or third movie as a fully formed Catwoman. The potential here is exciting and, like others, I'm glad this won't be a ''one and done''.

I need to see it again, but she definitely surpassed Hathaway for me. Felt like she just had more to do. I suppose it all depends what you want out of your Catwoman.

Last edited:
Kravitz is my favorite iteration of Catwoman onscreen. I never really liked Ann Hathaway’s version (to me she was annoying and I couldn’t really find any vulnerability to her character). This new one made me a fan though.

Catwoman has been consistently great on film, Pfeiffer is Pfeiffer and Hathaway has always been criminally underrated in my opinion but Kravitz is easily my favourite. Probably the best character in the movie for my money.

I do kinda wish they were more explicit about her bisexuality, though. Annika is clearly her girlfriend (she is calling her baby repeatedly on the phone, right?) and I wonder if there is some cut stuff that confirms it outright. Might have wanted to avoid the often
distasteful dead lesbian trope
, but I would have trusted Reeves to handle it more tastefully than a lot of directors would.

Don't have an issue with her describing her as her "friend", mind you, it's not like she's gonna volunteer super personal information about her private life that fast to Batman.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Selina bisexual in the comics too?

I thought she was bisexual in The Dark Knight Rises too?

It is often heavily implied, but I can't off the top of my head think of anywhere it was made explicit. It's probably happened though.

Just saw it and Zoe is easily my favorite Catwoman of all time. She’s absolutely perfect. Give her a series or her own spin-off movie; I’m HERE for it.

Also, I loved the little nod to Year One Selina at the end (her outfit when she goes to see Falcone).

Storm Reid would make an excellent Holly Robinson for Zoe’s Catwoman.

Just saying.

I knew I would love Zoe as Catwoman, but wow she was absolutely amazing. I didn’t really think Michelle would be topped, but Zoe did it for me. She hit all the right marks. An absolute perfect portrayal of the character and just knowing that there’s more growth ahead has me even more excited about how she will evolve. I have not a single disappointment.

Did anyone else catch the fact Selina is 22 in this movie?

Kinda depends on what year the movie takes place. She's either 22, 23 or 24. It isn't abundantly clear the movie takes place in 2019, necessarily

I thought the Bat-Cat dynamic was excellent and I really hope we get more. One of my favourite scenes was Selina wearing the eye lenses in the club with Batman directing her.

I’m also so glad we’re in an era now where you have the opportunity to do spin-offs etc., as you just can’t cover everything and give these characters room to grow in a movie trilogy.

I think it was also a good choice
to have Selina never interact with Bruce Wayne, only Batman, and for her not to find out who he really is by the end of the movie. Until now, Batman’s identity has been revealed to every love interest he’s had on film (Other than his fake girlfriend in B&R) so this was a refreshing change and it allows for interesting interactions in the future once she does find out. Because she needs to if they’re ever going to sleep together lol.

Well. I guess Bruce could always go the Vigilante route and keep the mask on.

0DNBhPX.jpg

While I appreciate this new spin, I can't call her Catwoman because she wasn't her in this film. She was Selina Kyle year one

I don't want to make any definitive sounding statements during the honeymoon period where I've only just seen the movie for the very first time, but at this point I'm thinking I liked her more than Hathaway, but less than Pfeiffer.

In a way though, you can't really compare that Kravitz/Hathaway model to Pfeiffer's. Pfeiffer's was more classically villainous, and where it counts, ultimately on the side of evil. And that's even despite her sympathetic backstory and obvious mental instability.

Kravitz and Hathaway are much more in the anti-hero mould who will engage in petty crime (that's pettiness relative to what else is going on in their respective movies lol), but do so for genuinely altruistic reasons.

I hate ranking things, but I think there's some recency bias here.

Pfeiffer's performance is just...she had some decent material, but she absolutely elevated it. She was serious, playful, nervous, hammy, seductive, broken, there was just an ethreal edge to her performance that hasn't been matched in my mind.

Zoe plays Selina Kyle, who will be Catwoman. Pfeiffer played Selina Kyle AND Catwoman. Two very different personas. It should be no contest from a performance standpoint. Zoe's is arguably more faithful to the modern comics than Pfeiffer's was to the comics of her time, but her performance is nowhere near as nuanced or layered, and the character and her arc aren't really, either. She's a hodgepodge of the damsel in distress/femme fatale noir trope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"