Zoe Kravitz IS Catwoman

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by James.B, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Bruce Wayne Subtle.

Oddly enough, I always thought that Anne Hathaway polling better than Michelle Pfeiffer here on the Hype had to be half the result of recency bias. Hathaway may be a good actress and her iteration a fairly comic book accurate one, but by God was it a dull performance imo.

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  2. milesmvspeterp Registered

Zoe is Catwoman. she looks talk and is naturally sexy like The Catwoman of the comics. She's not even fully Catwoman. She will get even better with time. yet she's still the best live action Catwoman.

Pfeiffer is not playing Catwoman she's just playing a cat lady with super powers, she even comes back to life with cats. Burton didn't like comics. This why we got cat lady, not Catwoman from the comics. Pfeiffer over acts too. Pfeiffer is the worst Catwoman.

Anne was ok, but she was trying to hard to be sexy. It's not nature to her. She didn't even have the claws or whip. Anne is number 2 after Zoe

3. Rick190293 Registered

I loved Zoe's Catwoman, but yeah, Anne is pretty underrated. She blew me away since the first scene, and I wasn't a fan of her casting. Her transition from scared to fierce in that introduction scene is perfect,

Quixotica likes this.
  4. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

I thought Anne was fine but not particularly memorable. I loved Zoe though. I guess I can see the criticism of her being too “good” or whatever but it’s important to remember that she’s not fully formed here. She’s not Catwoman yet and her primary motivations in this film are more personal and less about landing a big score or sticking it to rich people.

TheVileOne and WatchProtect like this.
  5. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

Hathaway gives a fine performance, but she just isn't the type for Selina. She's too Audrey Hepburn or girl next door. Selina has a danger and edge inherent to her that Kravitz and Pfeiffer have. Plus, I just think a lot of it came down to how the character was written. Not all the ensemble pieces fit into that movie as well as BB and TDK did and she kind of suffers from it.

TheVileOne and Deck Rickard like this.
  6. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Yeah I feel like Nolan’s Selina suffers from being wedged in there in the last film. She should have been introduced at least in TDK so we can see her relationship with Bruce grow. Maybe there wasn’t room for her there either but it just felt like they suddenly realized that Bruce was going to end up alone at the end of the series and fit her in there.

Rick190293 likes this.
  7. Blade Hoarder Registered

Anne was godly in the first introduction scene. But then she never reaches that high again. Not her fault. Zoe gets better and better as the film goes on.

8. Rick190293 Registered

With some more scenes, maybe an earlier introduction and a proper cowl I think she'll be almost perfect. Glad Zoe is doing good tho, she nails the fierce but a little suspicious behavior.

DKDetective and Deck Rickard like this.
  9. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

That's fine, she just needed to be better integrated. I know Nolan likes his ensembles, but the third movie suffers from having to tie the story up while introducing new things and Selina wanting the clean slate is just one of the many things going on in TDKR that doesn't quite gel in.

TheVileOne and Deck Rickard like this.
  10. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I think Anne was terrific. She worked because she has the vibe of that classic femme fatale (some of her line readings channel Hedy Lamarr who was one of the original inspirations for Catwoman), and she who can effectively mingle in high society so she can rip off gullible rich dudes. It's a smaller supporting role, but she makes the most of it. I also think it's a unique performance in Hathaway's career where I really don't see Anne Hathaway, I just see Selina Kyle, pure and simple.

Zoe was also awesome. I think her performance is about on par with Hathaway's to be honest, but she has a natural edginess to her that totally works for this Year One-inspired portrayal. She's given a lot more to do, but oddly enough I think both her and Anne play Selina as femme fatales with an inner softness and vulnerability despite being badasses. I think she will have the most opportunity to define the role as she'll be the first to get multiple films to develop the character.

End of the day, I feel kind of weird ranking the Catwomen. I think there is an inherent element of sex appeal and the male gaze wrapped up in all of that, whether people want to admit it or not. But I think we've had 3 excellent Catwomen in the films that perfectly suit the worlds they're supposed to fit into.

11. Sawyer High King

12. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

13. Quixotica Registered

She was a perfect gritty Year One Catwoman. Hope she comes back and evolves to be more of the rip-off high society Selena as her Catwoman persona also becomes more fully formed.

TheVileOne, Iceman and Deck Rickard like this.
  14. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

Kravitz was phenomenal as Selina, and I could honestly see her becoming my favorite with more films and appearances. I loved Hathaway as well, and I feel like she never really got enough recognition, especially for how well she did in her only film as the character. Pretty underrated honestly. Michelle Pfieffers is obvious iconic, for good reason, but I always appreciated the fact that Hathaway was closer to what I wanted in the character. So for now, it's a tie between Hathaway and Kravitz. I can see Kravitz getting the edge over time though because she's gonna be appearing down the road. Her chemistry with Pattinson was one of the highlights of the movie.

Deck Rickard and chintai80 like this.
  15. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Question for ya’ll given the way the movie ended and how much some of us would like a Catwoman spinoff movie or series. Should Selina appear in The Batman 2?

The obvious answer seems to be “yes, absolutely” BUT I wonder if she should have her own adventure while Bruce is doing his own thing and then return in part 3. I guess because
    Selina leaves town at the end and spends most of the film trying to get out of Gotham. So perhaps having her immediately come back might cheapen that? Should some time pass before we see her again?

The downside of her not appearing in TB2 is (of course) not having the lovely Zoe’s presence and that could feel like a big loss. It also would likely mean a new female lead/potential love interest who may not be received as well. Thoughts?

TheVileOne and VonRomberg like this.
  16. VonRomberg Registered

Really good point.

The risk they run if she isn’t included but there’s another love interest is there’s going to be comparison between her and the new arrival, and it’s pretty stiff competition.

The dynamic between Pattinson and Kravitz was a standout for me, and most other source material relationships fall short of Batman’s dynamic with Selina so it’ll be a tough act to follow if they go for Vicky Vale or something like that.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  17. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

There's no way she's not in the sequel.

Deck Rickard and SwordOfMorning like this.
  18. chintai80 oh hi.

the dynamic between zoe and rob in this is maybe as good as the romance story between bruce and andrea in motp.

this beats out all the other live action batman romanctic subplots.
    it's one of the things that separates it from the pack.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  19. Frodo Registered

Pffieffer and Newmar are still my favorites overall, since, I prefer Catwoman as a much more ambiguous character, to her being an out and out ally, as she's most recently been portrayed and characterized in alot of different media.

Between Kravitz and Hathaway, I give Kravitz the edge.

She had much more to work with, her version was much more compelling, and the chemistry she had with her Batman was electric.

Still, Hathaway did well with what she had, though, I think she's overlooked .
    Hardy's Bane is such a pop culture icon from that film, that it overshadows her.

20. milesmvspeterp Registered

Yes, she's the most important Catwoman in the films. It's a reason she in the first Batman film and not the 2nd or later films. Zoe killed it, she will be in part two and get a tv show or film.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  21. Bruce Wayne Subtle.

Why is she the most important

22. VonRomberg Registered

I mean depending on how one interprets the ending of TDKR Hathaway’s Selina is the most “important” Catwoman in film.

Depending on where they go with Kravitz’s version she might be, but that hasn’t been determined yet.

I’d wager she’s the Catwoman with the most screen time though possibly.

TheVileOne likes this.
  23. Daltonio Avi Arad's Sidekick

Best part of the movie for me - hands down

Deck Rickard likes this.
  24. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

This casting went so well. I couldn’t have imagined it going much better and look forward to more.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  25. Neno_Kos Registered

Given how dynamic and story worked in first movie I dont see how she isnt back for sequel in some capacity. Maybe not in big important role, but as extended cameo or sub storyline where it's hinted she is back in Gotham for one or two reasons. And Batman wanna find out why for obvious reasons, but he keep missing her.

Deck Rickard likes this.