The All Encompassing Zorro thread

I think it's all public domain. It's just the matter of putting down the money. Just like how anyone can make a Frankenstein or Tarzan movie but there are factors (budget and profit) that play into it. And of course, Sherlock is everywhere.

Though studios, if they could, can copyright certain imagery of public domain characters. Like Universal owns the rights to the 2 bolts to Frankenstein's neck.
I'm pretty sure Zorro is in the public domain. But it seems until now not many were interested in another take on the classic story. Fox had it for a while but let the right's pass onto the current producers. Who are doing this near futuristic take on it.

As far the Zorro being Public Domain, I'm no expert, and hopefully someone here can explain this better than I can, but I believe it's more nuanced than what some are suggesting.

I believe some rights have been extend further back (effects of Disney powerful lawyers protecting Mickey Mouse have extended to others who can show they have protected their own characters, like ZPI with Zorro).

And even then just because an original work has entered "public domain" does not automatically mean that certain aspects derived from it aren't still protected by rights holders McCulley / Gertz Zorro Production Inc.'s trademarks and other things they own.
For example I believe you have the right to re-publish and sell your own exact copies of the (1919) Curse of Capistrano (I believe several publishing houses do) as well as right to copy and publish several of the other original Zorro Argosy stories. As well as copy, and sell, your own DVDs and broadcast the original (1920)Fairbanks Mark of Zorro. Those are indeed public domain.
But that's just right to copy and disseminate already existing material.

Not necessarily produce and sell new material based on it.

Much of what the character has become and has been marketed as since then, much of the iconic imagery and tropes that constitute "Zorro" may be trademarked by Zorro Productions Inc.
ZPI still owns rights to certain material and ideas derived from those original works, including certain names, the look of things/characters, and visuals and concepts all associated with the character through materials they licence.
That also includes more modern to contemporary material they once produced and are producing, which may include things like the Disney Material and visuals, The modern Mask of Zorro with Sonny/Amblin, the Allende Novel they produced, the current Dynamite characters and stories, etc.., they license allot.

It's likely not just OK to "copy" or reference anything similar to what they are doing, material which resembles what they trade marked; Movies, Comics, merchandise etc.. You do have to get the license from them.
Or ultimately a court would have to decide where/if you crossed their line.

I'm not arguing right or wrong either way, but this was a somewhat recent article from hollywoodreporter on a case - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/judge-nixes-playwrights-bid-free-744883
The lawsuit was tossed before it even got to their argument of "trademark" protection.

I believe both Zorro films currently in production are licensing through Zorro Productions Inc.
As well as the current Zorro Dynamite comics.

Last edited:
Last update said they're eying a fall start. So anything post August.

Diego Luna would be perfect for this. Charming, Latino, has done action films. Make it happen!

His buddy Gael García Bernal has the gig instead.

Yeah it is bro. Last update was shooting begins later in the year.

Not much after that, no further castings yet.

Poor Gael.
Don't feel sorry for Gael, although here the responses has been mostly snide, he may love the idea and challenge of doing this, also working with Cuarón "owning" the character (that's reason enough), who is arguably one of the first masked Superheroes.

As for those griping that Zorro shouldn't be a legacy character or ever set in modern times, as indicated in movie serials Zorro was swinging off modern city rooftops, fighting mobsters with tommy-guns, and driving around in a black sedan before Batman even existed.
Indiana Jones and Star Wars and other "modern" adventure heroes pay homage to those popular serials in several ways as both Spielberg and Lucas were also fans.
49ed92.gif
1937)
7IreSRg.jpg
1939)

There is plenty of legit precedence to develop a modern Zorro, hopefully these guys seize on something and pull it off.:cwink:

Last edited:
Last edited:
KierseyClemons will star in Jonás Cuarón's 'Zorro' movie http://bit.ly/2sKF6wC

Kiersey Clemons will star in Jonás Cuarón’s “Zorro” film “Z” opposite Gael Garcia Bernal. The film will be written and directed by Cuarón and financed by Lantica Media.
Set in the near future, “Z” reimagines the classic legend based on the beloved masked swashbuckler. The movie is a co-production between Lantica Pictures and Mark Amin’s Sobini Films.
Sobini Films and Lantica Media are producing. Anne-Marie Ross of Pantelion International has launched sales in Berlin and UTA Independent Film Group represents U.S. rights.
Clemons was most recently seen in the Sundance pic “Hearts Beat Loud,” which sold to Sony Pictures Classics following its festival debut. She will also appear in the Jason Blum movie “Sweetheart,” bowing this year, and is still attached to play Iris West in “The Flash” at Warner Bros.
Clemons can be seen next in the TBS comedy “Angie Tribeca” and in the indie “An L.A. Minute.”

Last edited:
Gawd.. Can holy weird not leave ANYTHING alone?? Must they 'reboot' every damn franchize out there??

Gawd.. Can holy weird not leave ANYTHING alone?? Must they 'reboot' every damn franchize out there??

They apparently can't be any more creative with titles, either. Z? Get real, people.

should just have Antonio come back as old man Zorro. Logan... TDKR style...

The Gay Blade Rises

No, given enough time, there is no franchise that Hollywood won't reboot. If a franchise has brand recognition and can be "relaunched" for a new generation Hollywood will try to do it. Its good business sense, when done right, and it gives newer generations an opportunity to see franchises in new ways for the first time.

Zorro is ripe for a reboot. There hasnt been a Zorro film since 2005 and that one was a box office disappointment and has a poor 47% on RT.com. Never bringing the character back to cinemas would be silly.

I really hope it won't be set in the future. That would be stupid. How wants to see a Zorro movie like that?

Ah... The authenticity pose combined with Conservative outrage.

Luckily this attitude keeps being proven wrong again and again, because as many re-boots or new versions of old films and franchises that fail there are about the same amount that succeed.

Some things are just gonna be perennial, despite a version failing there are always gonna be new versions of some iconic characters and stories and the idea that they should stop just because someone has deep affinity for a version they grew up with is not only silly but short sighted. In this particular case Zorro is a product of American culture and a rare case of a Hispanic hero based in North America that has shown world wide appeal, and he's already been reinterpreted and redone many times already. I guess it could be asked why you hate American cultural creations so much? ;)

How about we actually see what they have to offer first before we condemn sight unseen? Or is that as always just too god damned much to ask from the modern fanboy mindset?

What is with this and the Robin Hood reboot taking place in the future? I know they're trying to do something different, but it just seems like a very lazy way to do so.

VV they just cast their female lead yesterday. I thnik the plan is to shoot in the summer or early autumn (fall).

Zorro is a story that I'm still waiting for Hollywood to get right. By far the best adaptation I've seen is the old Disney show, and even that has room for improvement (not to mention updating it a bit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"