The All Encompassing Zorro thread

How cool is it that there are two Zorro movies happening? I love this character. Here's hoping there's another TV show on the horizon.

Ricardo de Montreuil Eyed To Direct
Peruvian helmer Ricardo de Montreuil, who came on Hollywood's radar with his short film "The Raven," has emerged as a contender to direct "Zorro Reborn" for 20th Century Fox.De Montreuil is set to direct the screen test for the pic's likely star, Gael Garcia Bernal, though there is no deal in place for him to direct the film.
Futuristic film aims to radically reinvent the Zorro mythology by having the protag act as a masked vigilante bent on getting revenge against an evil tyrant and his gang of mercenaries.
Several scribes including Glenn Gers have had a hand in the script, with "Harker" scribes Lee Shipman and Brian McGreevy penning the most recent draft. Mark Amin, Cami Winikoff and David Higgins will produce for Sobini Films.
Universal acquired the rights to expand "The Raven" into a feature film back in 2010, when Mark Wahlberg came on to produce the Justin Marks-scripted pic alongside Steve Levinson.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR11...ews&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

His Raven Short

i don't know why but when i read "Zorro Reborn" i always think in "The Cape".:csad:

Not much, but Bernal mentions the upcomming Zorro from February 11, 2013 New York Magazine -

-"Fox’s planned big-budget reboot that takes the masked swordsman out of 1800s Spanish California and deposits him in a post*apocalyptic future? “I’ve never done a big studio movie like that,” says García Bernal, reportedly attached to play the lead role. “So I’m kind of curious to see what it is like. It looks kind of fun. Why not? Just to see how it is, you know?”

Again just in case, that is in reference to Fox's supposed post-apocalyptic future "Zorro Reborn" that Bernal is confirmed to star in as Zorro.

The other film is the supposed Sony produced Zorro which this thread first began about- the potential reboot of the classic Zorro origin set in 1800 Los Angeles. Is based on the original McCully story and the Allende Zorro novel.

zorro1-4.jpg

Not that there should be two threads, just trying to distinguish between the two movies being discussed :word:

Last edited:
I used to think Zorro was so cool. I even dressed up as him one Halloween when I was younger. Not really interested in a new movie, though.

I'll always love Zorro, so here's hoping both projects turn out to be good.

I think this will stay in Development Hell. And I also think Bernal could do better than this - it sounds awful.

I think this will stay in Development Hell.
I also thought/hoped that Sony's more serious straight origin tale would have pushed through first. Especially since his full origin has never bean told on film, it seemed like a good incentive.

Future Zorro although fun, is a pretty cliche pedestrian idea, picture the meeting - Zorro in the future? .. But with all the modern tec. why would he still use a sword and ride a horse? He needs to be able to ride through the dusty canyons and into the horizon chasing outlaws... Did we say future, we meant post apocalyptic future. ....OK go!

But now with Bernal attached it might have some legs. And even though I think he might be wrong for Diego De La Vega(there are several better choices in this thread), Diego De La Vega is not actually who he'd be playing, but likely a great-great descendant.

As per-
7992959.jpg
small_Zorro_Generation_Z%201.jpg
Zorro%20Generation%20Z%20-%20Fearsome%20Four.jpg

That said Zorro being a legacy character has been a well established part of the movies, as far back as 1925, with Fairbank's sequel called Son of Zorro
. This was followed by several of the Republic movie serials where legacy characters grand children, men, woman etc. take up the role, see the famous truck stunt which inspired Indiana Jones, first done with horse and carriage, then repeated with a truck where Zorro rides in a modern city , jumping from city rooftops etc. http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=22778951&postcount=439) .
Also in Fighting Legion Zorro caries a more modern retractable sword, with Lucas having borrowed so much from that film, Zorro eventually having some "lazer" sword seems fitting.
And of course the Hopkins Banderas version followed the same pattern, passing the mantle to a new younger version is really an established part of the character.
It predates Batman Beyond doing it or the Phantom or Green Hornet etc. doing it.
So I'm not that opposed to having a new Zorro taking up the mantle in some bizarre barren future, it seems fitting.

Hellish or not, I am still curious to see how this potential train wreck develops:oldrazz:

Last edited:
Future Zorro could be set in a virtual world where he goes by the code name z0‫‬‫‬яя0 and he could have a sword made of light and instead of a horse he'd have a digital bike !

A Zorro with a lightsaber? Sure, I'd be game.

image.php
Future Zorro could be set in a virtual world where he goes by the code name z0‫‬‫‬яя0 and he could have a sword made of light and instead of a horse he'd have a digital bike !

Heh, madness...
ZorroTronized.jpg

Last edited:
I've thought from the start, that a post apocalyptic Zorro story would be flat out dumb.

But that little test footage there? I see potential if handled properly. Consider me cautiously optimistic about such a setting. Hopefully it'll get picked up.

Apparently some concept art -
rMUOx3C.jpg

YUDHIc4.jpg

Not so crazy about the name, or the mask, but also can see the potential there.
They should just revive the name De La Vega, or just Vega.
I think the character translates well enough to this post-apocalyptic setting, while still making recognizable homage to the classic.

It looks fun, this is a post apocalypse world, so keep the horse but also add a beat up motorcycle if the setting allows for it, the high-tech vibrating sword makes sense, and can be bad ass.

Those complaining Zorro's not a legacy character passed down to the future, I've already posted how Zorro was that well before Batman or the Phantom.
:)

That said, I hope someone is still working on the more classic Zorro, origin movie.

Last edited:
A Zorro reboot set in a post apocalyptic world. Nah not having that. :barf:

I did love watching the cartoon as a kid though and the two movies were fun to watch.

Thought it probably won't work well with the future type setting, they gotta keep the hat and cape. Can't leave those out.

Bernal is not a terrible option for the sci fi version. The risk of hiring a foreign born Latino actor with zero experience in English wasn't a risk Fox was willing to take. Sony will do the same: hire a Hispanic actor (probably foreign born) who has a ton of experience in American movies.

Zero experience with English? Are you talking about Banal? He hasn't done a big American tentpole film yet but he's done plenty of roles where he spoke English; From Science of Sleep to The King to Letters to Juilet.

And BTW who was Antonio Banderes when he did the Mask of Zorro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"