• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

BvS A Non-spoiler Speculation (Theory) on Why the BvS RT Score (NO SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogbngp

Snyderverse supporter
Reaction score
This thread is intended for people like me who have not yet seen the film and are feeling deflated about the BvS opening due to the abysmal RT score thus far. Please post no spoilers (not even wrapped). If you have seen the film and wish to comment I realize that it may be tough to do without spoiling. But please respect that many people still want to see the film with hope that it may yet be a great picture. Please grant them that experience. If it is not that, then it will be what it will be.

I have yet to see BvS (can't do so until Monday) but I'm wondering if the RT critic reaction is actually very predictable in hindsight. It may basically just be an intensification of a phenomenon we have already seen with MoS.

As we know, many critics took umbrage with Zack Snyder's treatment of Superman in MoS. Some fans and critics have argued it is because of poor filmmaking and storytelling. But there is also a camp that regards the film as excellent and to many even a masterpiece. The fact that enough fans believe the latter supports the position that MoS is, at least for some, a great film that many simply cannot accept the very premise of. It is this presumably because MoS broke a lot of rules and conventions about who Superman is.

Myself, I think in MoS Snyder is actually using Superman as a first example of a broader mythological approach to superheroes that examines superhero mythology itself from a contemporary postmodern perspective. (I can elaborate if asked.) And for many fans that is a rather radical shift, actually. And I think it stirs a very harsh, often powerful, and perhaps even visceral reaction in people that don't want that done to heroes that they cherish.

Is it really suprising then, that a film that adds Batman to the mix... an even more popular superhero than Superman... and pits these two cherished icons against one another ideologically!... that the same dynamic will be intensified? In other words, my speculation is that the tendency for same negative reactions that was elicited by MoS are now being tweaked and intensified even more powerfully, as the greater project of re-envisioning and reinventing superhero mythology continues with Snyder. As that controversial project develops, expands, and deepens, that is. I.e., that many critics either do not get what Snyder is doing, or simply reject his aesthetic. But it is an aesthetic that many of us fans have come to appreciate and enjoy tremendously.

This is the hope that I am holding onto as I wait to see what may yet be one of the most brilliant comic book movies ever.

So this is what I have to offer demoralized fans who have been waiting breathlessly to see BvS, hoping it will be all that they have dreamed for three years now. Lol, it is Saint Crispin's Day my brothers and sisters.

[YT]bvFHRNGYfuo[/YT]

:cwink:

Yes, things look dark right now. But this can still be a wonderful, brilliant film that we will cherish for years to come. Take heart! If you loved MoS have faith!

Last edited:
I agree. Haven't seen it yet but I can't believe that the follow up to MoS is not brilliant.
Reviews seem perfectly in line with that guy that posted those points like;
-loved MoS will love this
-redeems ending
Etc

I honestly think the tone is what basically hits people in the face and the story telling, like Watchmen, really challenges you to think. And that doesn't bode well for wide audience appeal which RT measures.

A lot of critics either did not 'get'--or at least profoundly disagreed with--what many of us loved about MoS. Especially when they are mainstream film critics and not CBM nerds like us. It actually makes perfect sense to me that if this film intensifies that same basic approach to the superheroes, the reaction will be all the more negative.

It might even be a kind of reverse barometer for what we know we already like. Who knows--if their reaction is that much more negative, our reaction might be that much more positive, lol!

Last edited:
People need to make their own minds up its as simple as that. People saying things like they want a refund, Snyder needs to go, etc need to stop acting like sheep and think independently for a change. Sure if you were one of those unsure on the film anyway and the reviews aren't selling you then fine I can understand negative reactions. But the overreactions from people who haven't seen the movie need to stop.

People need to make their own minds up its as simple as that. People saying things like they want a refund, Snyder needs to go, etc need to stop acting like sheep and think independently for a change. Sure if you were one of those unsure on the film anyway and the reviews aren't selling you then fine I can understand negative reactions. But the overreactions from people who haven't seen the movie need to stop.
This.

I'm seeing the movie tonight, but I gotta tell ya. I'm not the least bit surprised with this RT score. Sad to say, Snyder just isn't a good storyteller :-( he cares way more for visuals than with substance and it's a damn shame. Really disappointed, I was hoping Snyder would up it with this one, but it sounds exactly like I was expecting.

I'm seeing the movie tonight, but I gotta tell ya. I'm not the least bit surprised with this RT score. Sad to say, Snyder just isn't a good storyteller :-( he cares way more for visuals than with substance and it's a damn shame. Really disappointed, I was hoping Snyder would up it with this one, but it sounds exactly like I was expecting.

Mind you, that is the same basic narrative that has been running in the minds of a lot of folks about MoS as well. But as mentioned, there are many of us that have a very different experience of that film. We find the storytelling to MoS to be at least good to great to excellent. For those of us with that particular taste, BvS may be as great or an even greater experience of cinematic storytelling.

I said this in the RT thread, but something about Snyder's movies just seem to rub critics it wrong way. However, what critics dislike about them I either see the opposite or don't see their criticisms at all.

Both MOS and Watchmen got mixed responses, yet for me both are in my top 15 CBMs of all time. Snyder's movies get called emotionless by critics, but even years after they have been eleased moments in both nearly have me in tears. And I still watch them even years after they were released. That's telling for me.

I often agree with critics, yet with Snyder's movies, we totally disagree, and I think the same will occur with BvS.

the critics just did not get it!! they want a marvel movie with its balls cut off I mean what happened to these critics!!!???!!! this movie was great!!! its finally the batman we have been waiting for onscreen. and superman was great toO!!! I thought it was refreshing to see him dark - hes troubled. guess what critics when you feel like crap or your upset or sad your not skipping aroung dancing!!!! your going to feel like its raining inside and that's what was made here!!!!!! do not be discouraged!! great movie!!

I am not deflated. In fact, it's the opposite. For every movie the critics hated, I ended up thoroughly enjoying.

Bring it on!

The only legit things that I've read so far are the pacing issues and that Bats' and Supes' motivations are not fleshed out enough. I need to see it myself before I can give my two cents on that aspect. Apart from that? A big bunch of BS. Too philosophical, too dark, not enough humour, too many oscar winners, too self-serious, too Snyder-ish? Ridicolous.

the pacing issues in my opinion were so minimal!!! as per their motivations being not fleshed out enough??? wait till you see the movie!!!! they totally had motivation!!! its all a (killer) croc of ish!!!

I'm watching BvS 21 hours from now. I'm hoping this movie will give me the same feels that I had with MoS.

Gonna watch it in 30 hours. "Critics" reaction only made me want to watch the film more. Because it's such a big difference between what I saw in trailers and what they say about the movie.

Honestly, at the end of the day, if critics hated it, it'll probably be one of my favorite movies ever. They have no idea what they're talking about. Everything has to be funny and light now and I just have no interest in that. Most people who are functional adults want to be challenged in a movie theater, not pay hard earned money to see a 2 hour toy commercial with talking animals.

Man of Steel and Watchmen are both masterpieces in my eyes and nobody liked either of them except for fans. People just don't get Snyder. Plain and simple. The dude is a genius who gives us the same philosophical depth and complexity as Nolan (maybe moreso).

And not even Nolan is safe. We saw the signs with The Dark Knight Rises and then it got uglier with Interstellar. America is ADD. We need fast food, fart jokes, and Walmart or we're bored. Half this country is voting for Trump. Did anybody really believe that paid critics would respond positively to a film depicting modern day Greek mythology with Christian allegories as opposed to a raccoon with a bazooka and a talking tree?

Regarding critics and RT scores and to add to the point I made earlier, Avengers 2, Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 all have better critic scores on RT than MOS or Watchmen.

Yet both MOS and Watchmen are at least 20 places above all 3 of those movies on my personal Best CBM list. So really RT scores don't always match up with how we view movies.

Thor 2 with a better score than Watchmen. Oh you critics are so, so talented.

This thread is superfluous and unnecessary. Critics didn't like it simply because they did not like it. There is nothing to speculate over and the other RT thread certainly isn't so overflowed with spoilers that you cannot reassure yourself...ahem...make excuses...ahem....speculate, yes that's better, there. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"