• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Batman Begins Batman is reckless and dumb? No.

Dope Nose said:
or simply shut down power to the train since he had access to it through Wayne Tower.
LOL. While saying this Batman is dumb might be taking things a bit too far, he's by no means the brightest... and that’s not The Bat-Man.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
And it did. Batman was trying to stop the train, but if he failed to do so Gordon would be the back upplan to make sure the train never made it across.

nice touch!, i love it:up:

Anita18 said:
Did they mention that part? All I remember was "focused microwaves" and I assumed that they'd be aimed at the water pipes. I'm no chemistry whiz so I don't even know if that's possible to do with microwaves but....whatever.

And it wouldn't be dehydrated, it would be more like, burst into steam, LOL.

I stand corrected on the second part. LOL.

I'm pretty sure Lucius Fox explained it. But still, I'm positive you can't aim microwaves.

dude love said:
I stand corrected on the second part. LOL.

I'm pretty sure Lucius Fox explained it. But still, I'm positive you can't aim microwaves.

If you can build satilites in space that can focus in on where you live and read the plate number off your car then....

Well, it is a movie. If in the movie they say they can focus and aim mircrowaves, then in the realm of the film.....it can happen, ya know? I mean, I can understand if you have knowledge of this stuff and it bothers you. But, try to brush it off. It's a movie, and more often than not....they make they're own rules.

About shutting down power to the train...

I'm pretty sure that Ra's, who tells Batman that he's infiltrated every level of Gotham's infrastructure, would have also infiltrated the place where the power to the train is generated, and have made sure to have a lot of his ninjas heavily guarding the place, so it wouldn't be that simple for Batman to just shut it down.

It's arguable that Batman could have very well realized this, but given the timing of the events, he decided that he didn't have time to rely on this plan of action. They just made the mistake of not showing him consider this as an option.

Anita18 said:
I'd like to make one thing clear: most doctors don't know crap about how to do lab work.... This is why MD/PhD programs exist nowadays - so you can be a doctor AND know how to do lab work. :oldrazz: I'd to think of Batman as being better than a doctor in that sense. :cwink:

You're right, MD/PhD is a better example for Batman.

Look ... I love, LOVED the new movie. The tumbler was rocking ... but come on. Really. Can you really imagine the comic version of the tumbler? Can you? I get the antidote ... that didn't bother too much. I wouldn't even mind the tumbler to get to downtown G-town ... but in the downtown? Flying onto buildings and disappearing because he turned off the lights?:whatever:

Let's all admit that jumping from the parking garage to the building was jumping the shark. Even Nolan/Bale would have to admit that they really liked the car and just wanted an excuse to have it in the movie.

Nolan "So we have this fast and wicked car."
Bale"Really? Can I see it. Oh MAN that Rocks!"

etc. etc. :yay:

Canadian Rider said:
Look ... I love, LOVED the new movie. The tumbler was rocking ... but come on. Really. Can you really imagine the comic version of the tumbler? Can you?
Actually, I can...

853miller-batmobile.gif

I find it ****ing funny that some people think the movie is meant to be a documentary.

It's a movie. A movie based a comic book. It's not supposed to be ultra realistic. It can have the illusion of realism....which most good comic films do, but doesn't have to be real.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
I find it ****ing funny that some people think the movie is meant to be a documentary.

It's a movie. A movie based a comic book. It's not supposed to be ultra realistic. It can have the illusion of realism....which most good comic films do, but doesn't have to be real.

I see your point, but I was trying to indicate that for a movie that spent so much time building a background and a story that would lead to Bruce becoming batman it seemed strange that rather than have a "suped" up car he drives a vehicle that is so over the top as the tumbler.

That isn't even that bad, but it was when he landed on the roof of the building that I for one experienced the "okay. We now can totally suspend reality because if he flung that vehicle at the roof of most of the buildings I have ever seen in gotham he should have crashed through the roof and dropped in on the congregrants below!" per the COMICS that the movie was based on.

You will note that the special effects started kicking in at that point in a more obtrusive way and it seemed to slide slowly towards the Burton visions of silliness.

My opinion. :woot:

PS - surprisingly the LA police department does not loose large black vehicles if they turn off their lights. Apparently their spotlights actually illuminate large black vehicles.

WAIT -- maybe OJ should have gone for a ride at night, in a dark vehicle and turned the lights off! :wow:

Funny but I don't remember Bruce having that for daily driving in the cave. That was my point. :yay:

But it's still from the comics, though. A landmark story, actually. And, it proves that the Tumbler isn't "crossing some line that should never be crossed" either. It's just ****ing cool, man.

I see your point, but I was trying to indicate that for a movie that spent so much time building a background and a story that would lead to Bruce becoming batman it seemed strange that rather than have a "suped" up car he drives a vehicle that is so over the top as the tumbler.

but, the car is really a sign of the change the film is from the others. It's probably more of a statment that needed to be made towards what the film is all about.

That isn't even that bad, but it was when he landed on the roof of the building that I for one experienced the "okay. We now can totally suspend reality because if he flung that vehicle at the roof of most of the buildings I have ever seen in gotham he should have crashed through the roof and dropped in on the congregrants below!" per the COMICS that the movie was based on.

Well, the dashboard graphics supposedly gave Batman the buildings that could structually support the weight of the car. So, there.....that's something that would certainly make sense in the realm of the comics.

You will note that the special effects started kicking in at that point in a more obtrusive way and it seemed to slide slowly towards the Burton visions of silliness.

What do you mean exactly?

PS - surprisingly the LA police department does not loose large black vehicles if they turn off their lights. Apparently their spotlights actually illuminate large black vehicles.

Well, it was night time. The cops in Gotham suck. They didn't expect the car to suddenly go stealth (which it did).

Waitaminute....I'm pretty sure the LAPD suck too.....they'd probably lose a car the same way, and it wouldn't have to be a military vehicle built for **** like that....

Canadian Rider said:
Flying onto buildings and disappearing because he turned off the lights?:whatever:

OK, this has been brought up so many times and for so long I hoped someone would've been smart enough to bring it up but alas, it seems that the only thing some people are good at is *****ing and complaining over things they don't understand.

First of all, the tracking searchlights on helicopters are not manually operated. They work using thermal imaging that automatically track the heat emissions from the engines of a vehicle. That's why in real-life, patrol helicopters don't lose or confuse suspect vehicles on the open road.

Now when Batman engages "stealth mode" on the Tumbler, you see that only do the lights turn off, but the thundering engine also quiets down. This was explained in the leaked script that in stealth mode, the Tumbler switches to an electric engine that does not give off any heat emissions and combine that with the angular plates with RAM coating taken straight from F-117s, the Tumbler would be invisible to both thermal and radar tracking systems.

Now, as soon as Batman engages stealth mode, he immediately pulls back. Now the cops couldn't keep track on him because the helicopter searchlight lost it's focus from the Tumbler. As you know, if you immediately go from a well-lit from into a dark room, it will take your eyes some time to adjust to the lighting before you get your bearings. Likewise, earlier the Tumbler was lit up like a Dutch brothel on the freeway with the helicopter searchlight, but as soon as it went into stealth mode, it became a black dot on a pitch black freeway, where light is the only means of identification:

bmc1.JPG

bmc2.JPG

Can you see the Tumbler in those pics or not? Neither could the cops. Of course, like the example I have given above, the cops eventually "see" the Tumbler once their eyes got used to the darkness of the freeway when the helicopter broke pursuit.

Sure, it requires a little suspension of disbelief but really, it's a pretty contemporary concept and not all impossible or lacking sense like the posters in here have repeatedly claimed it to be.

Oh and for the record, steel reinforced concrete can handle about three tons of weight. Since official specs of the Tumbler put it somewhere around 2 tons, no, the Tumbler wouldn't have crashed through the roofs realistically speaking.

Wesyeed said:
Yawn, welcome to last year.

As I saw it, the whole reason people labeled his actions as dumb was because he could have avoided all the damage and potential deaths of gothams cops if he let Gordon take rachael and had alfred deliver the drugs to a specific address or whatever...

Just a last note to all the batman begins worshippers who watch begins every night and kiss their dvd before bedtime: the movie has its flaws. That's it. When I saw it, I enjoyed what I enjoyed in it, but to me it wasn't the holy grail of comic book movies that people online hyped it to be. That's probably the way it is for a lot of people who watched it. Just live with that fact, be glad it wasn't full of rubber nipples and butts, and hope for better in TDK.

thank you for your time and goodnight.

you have to admitt it was much better then Superman Returns... :oldrazz:

also for you people who say the tumbler dissappears is crap and yadda yadda yadda can i remind you of Harry Houdini? Well he wasn't like today's magicians who are only interested in television ratings. He was an artist. He could make an elephant disappear in the middle of a theater filled with people, and do you know how he did that? Misdirection. Misdirection. What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes... it can be possible for him to disappear :woot: :word:

Fenrir said:
OK, this has been brought up so many times and for so long I hoped someone would've been smart enough to bring it up but alas, it seems that the only thing some people are good at is *****ing and complaining over things they don't understand.

This is exactly the feeling I had when I started this thread. Thanks for explaining the stealth mode and lack of roof crashing.

Although there ARE flaws to the movie (I have my own criticisms, as I said), a lot of "flaws" the movie is criticized for are unfounded.

Wow.....Fenrir.....that's some great info. Great pics too. Thanks for getting us in the "know".

Leon the Professional said:
About shutting down power to the train...

I'm pretty sure that Ra's, who tells Batman that he's infiltrated every level of Gotham's infrastructure, would have also infiltrated the place where the power to the train is generated, and have made sure to have a lot of his ninjas heavily guarding the place, so it wouldn't be that simple for Batman to just shut it down.

It's arguable that Batman could have very well realized this, but given the timing of the events, he decided that he didn't have time to rely on this plan of action. They just made the mistake of not showing him consider this as an option.
Exactly!

Seriously, that WINS as the least logical argument I've ever seen against BB. Hey, look, I won't dispute it's flawed. Never have. But this is just getting to the point of stupid here.

I'd like to add something - even assuming Bruce could have gone in and told them to shut off the power and they did it, no questions asked (yeah, that would've happened) the power would not have shut off straight away. It runs on a rail, it's not like a light switch and the train is a large, heavy object moving at speed. It. Would. Not. Stop. Right. Away. It'd probably keep going for a number of yards and the damage would've done. No, it wouldn't be exactly what Ra's wanted, but he would still have had people going nuts.

But wouldn't he have got there before Ra's loaded the train? Possibly, but unlikely. Batman wouldn't even be down there to try and hold them up so, arguably, the whole thing would've proceeded faster without his interference.

Lol, and the detractors are saying BB is illogical...

Once again, word, dude. I'm actually concerned about TDK not because I don't think it'll be good but because nobody seems even remotely willing to give a Nolan a chance.

Yes, great, lets get another director because that worked out *so* well for X-Men 3.

Dude......no matter what, Nolan earned his chance, and he's getting it. And he's got most Bat-fans backing him up.

I said most Bat-fans. Most Bat-fans. Most Bat-fans.

Don't want anybody mis-reading my posts, alot of people do that around here.

ChrisBaleBatman said:

Yeah, like the countless number of dumb posters who keep replying to "Begins was a great film, the best comic book movie yet" with "it's not perfect, it's not without it's flaws". Well d'uh, when did we say otherwise? :rolleyes:

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Dude......no matter what, Nolan earned his chance, and he's getting it. And he's got most Bat-fans backing him up.

I said most Bat-fans. Most Bat-fans. Most Bat-fans.

Lol, it's not you, I was just being my usual pessimistic self. Don't mind me at all.

Yeah, like the countless number of dumb posters who keep replying to "Begins was a great film, the best comic book movie yet" with "it's not perfect, it's not without it's flaws". Well d'uh, when did we say otherwise?
They think by saying that they're busting our bubbles or something. It's a bit lame, really.

No, I just had to repeat that "Most Bat-fans were backing up Nolan"......that way, I don't get some Fantastic Four fanboy, or Web-Head, or X-Men fan posting saying "(your hero affiliation) fans aren't backing him up"..........people often forget to read on these boards.

Which is funny.....b/c.....well.....reading is the most important part of being in a messageboard.

Or maybe not. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"