Dark Crystal’ Prequel Series in the Works at Netflix

Yes, in the TV show I think they explain something about the UrSkeks "experimenting" with the crystal causing their division into Skeksis and Mystics and the Skeksis cracking the crystal soon after. It's more complicated and Star Wars does stuff like that too when filling in the story with prequels, TV shows etc.

Yeah, I didn't mind the changes in how the story of the cracking was reported, after all, it was a thousand years ago !
My biggest grip is that no manufacturer (Funko ReAction Super7 ) restocked the figures they made for the first movie ( they cost way too much on ebay now for what they are ).

Yeah, I didn't mind the changes in how the story of the cracking was reported, after all, it was a thousand years ago !
My biggest grip is that no manufacturer (Funko ReAction Super7 ) restocked the figures they made for the first movie ( they cost way too much on ebay now for what they are ).
I wanted to get a Landstrider a few years back and it was quite expensive. It would be a great time to re-release them.

I've been listening to the soundtrack a bit these past few days, and I gotta admit there wasn't much that I took notice of while watching the show (except that theme that plays every episode during the title logo, which is amazing), but now that I can sit down and listen to the music on its own there are actually a couple of really nice bits there.

Trial By Stone podcast - Producing A Resistance; Interview with Halle Stanford

On this episode of Trial By Stone, Philip chats to Halle Stanford, President of TV at The Jim Henson Company and an executive producer on The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance.

Halle talks about the early years when she became part of The Jim Henson Company, her involvement bringing The Dark Crystal back in the early 2000's with Power of The Dark Crystal, the animated series and now with Age of Resistance.

So that's a no then.

The fact that Netflix develops sequels to everything! Did this just not get the views they wanted to warrant the budget? How do they decide?

The fact that Netflix develops sequels to everything! Did this just not get the views they wanted to warrant the budget? How do they decide?

They decide on viewers to my knowledge. I think typically the first 30 days are the real determining factor? But this was always going to be towards a niche audience so I can only imagine that it didnt hit the number they wanted out of the gate despite glowing reviews. Shame since I love this universe.

I Really hope we get a second season of this.

Maybe they could continue it somewhere other than Netflix like Apple. AKA the bargaining stage of the five stages of grief. I don't know the IP details.

Inside Netflix's Surprising TV Chief Shake-Up | Hollywood Reporter
The ouster of longtime exec Cindy Holland to promote Bela Bajaria arrives as co-CEO Ted Sarandos aims to increase its focus on global expansion.

"The buck stops with Ted but I'm sure he will try to blame Cindy," a person with ties to Netflix says of the talent spending spree. Holland also, per sources, delivered a series of pricey misses including The Dark Crystal (an "expensive disappointment," per one source connected to the streamer).

Syfy Wire - Emmy Contenders: Lisa Henson explains what's next for Netflix's Dark Crystal show & taking inspiration from Star Wars

Last edited:
Well that ****ing sucks, but at least we have an official announcement now instead of going through all this damn guessing and hoping. I enjoy the Dark Crystal movie, but its this series that made me love the property and its a shame that we won't be getting more seasons, because this really had the potential to be something different and innovative for Netflix, but if enough people don't see it than there's no point in sinking more money into another season.

I thought it was a 1 season event anyways.

Unfortunately with the pandemic and executive shakeups that a lot of companies are undergoing there's a lot of stuff being cancelled that were renewed let alone stuff on the bubble.

In the case of Netflix they've been making moves to be even more of an international company (with controversial imports like that children twerking movie and a tons of stuff they're just dubbing in English) where the U.S. market is de-emphasized. People outside of the U.S. probably cared less about puppets unfortunately. It was their highest quality fantasy show regardless.

Sad that it is officially cancelled. I think this would be better on say BBC or HBO MAX then Netflix. Hopefully we get another series in this world sometime down the line.

It's a crime that this show didn't get more viewers, it was amazing, and probably the most visually spectacular thing Netflix has ever produced.

Not that I care about the Emmys, but it won (or co-won) the Emmy for outstanding children's show the other day.

Billboard - Here Are All the Winners From the 2020 Emmy Awards

Outstanding Children's Program – (tie) Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix); We Are the Dream: The Kids of the Oakland MLK Oratorical Fest (HBO)

Perhaps they also delayed the announcement for so long so as not to damage its chances in the awards competition.

children’s show? tell that my nightmares about that hunter...

I'm still glad even if it was only season.
children’s show? tell that my nightmares about that hunter...

At least it was less scary than the Tim Burton's Alice movies :)

A bit disappointed it is no renewed but on the other hand I'm glad it was even made, I've been waiting a long time for a something related to The Dark Crystal movie.

I thought it was a 1 season event anyways.
I believe it was mentioned before the premiere that they had ideas ready for several seasons, possibly leading up all the way to the movie.

The fact that this happened at all with the budget it did is a small miracle in itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"