• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party - - - - - Part 20

Carson is uninformed.

Divorce is already very difficult. It can be traumatic for the partners, and will be traumatic for the children involved. The legal fees can be prohibitive, particularly when one side decides to abuse everything from the district court to CPS to harass their ex. You can have a pyramid filled with grain for your life savings, a custody battle will drain it to zero regardless.

Where divorce is probably easier is among the wealthy, which is no doubt what Carson has in mind as I'm sure that's who makes up his world.

Carson is uninformed.

Divorce is already very difficult. It can be traumatic for the partners, and will be traumatic for the children involved. The legal fees can be prohibitive, particularly when one side decides to abuse everything from the district court to CPS to harass their ex. You can have a pyramid filled with grain for your life savings, a custody battle will drain it to zero regardless.

Where divorce is probably easier is among the wealthy, which is no doubt what Carson has in mind as I'm sure that's who makes up his world.

He's really not, though. No fault divorce is what he is complaining about. Where there doesn't have to be a "divorcable offense", and where only one spouse needs to consent to the divorce. They hate no fault divorce because it gives too much power to women to just end an unhappy marriage.

He's really not, though. No fault divorce is what he is complaining about. Where there doesn't have to be a "divorcable offense", and where only one spouse needs to consent to the divorce. They hate no fault divorce because it gives too much power to women to just end an unhappy marriage.
I know, that's the legal status, what I'm rejecting is his framing. From the article:

“For the sake of families, we should enact legislation to remove or radically reduce incidences of no-fault divorce,” Carson writes in “The Perilous Fight,” released Tuesday.

He's assuming that divorce is an easy-to-implement decision. In reality, and unless you're wealthy, it's not. It will often be a very risky decision as well as an expensive decision. Poor and middle class women will have to consider whether they can actually afford to leave, pay a separate rent, car payment, health insurance, etc.

In the case of families the state will often force the parents to remain in significant contact. Even if one spouse is abusive, joint custody (which requires substantial communication and collaboration) is the default in most (all?) states, and moving away from that can take years and hundreds of thousands in legal fees. More from the article:

“The reason this matters is that no-fault divorce legally allows marriages to end much more quickly than in previous decades. When there are relatively few legal or financial consequences connected with divorce, it’s natural for people to gravitate toward that option when their marriage hits a rough patch,” he adds. “What those people often don’t consider, however, is the harm — both present and future — inflicted on their children once a divorce is finalized.”

The financial and legal consequences can be inmense, and I reject the assumption that most parents "don't consider the harm" the decision will have on their children.

Tldr, - divorce can be extremely difficult, and Carson has no idea what he's talking about.

I know, that's the legal status, what I'm rejecting is his framing. From the article:

“For the sake of families, we should enact legislation to remove or radically reduce incidences of no-fault divorce,” Carson writes in “The Perilous Fight,” released Tuesday.

He's assuming that divorce is an easy-to-implement decision. In reality, and unless you're wealthy, it's not. It will often be a very risky decision as well as an expensive decision. Poor and middle class women will have to consider whether they can actually afford to leave, pay a separate rent, car payment, health insurance, etc.

In the case of families the state will often force the parents to remain in significant contact. Even if one spouse is abusive, joint custody (which requires substantial communication and collaboration) is the default in most (all?) states, and moving away from that can take years and hundreds of thousands in legal fees. More from the article:

“The reason this matters is that no-fault divorce legally allows marriages to end much more quickly than in previous decades. When there are relatively few legal or financial consequences connected with divorce, it’s natural for people to gravitate toward that option when their marriage hits a rough patch,” he adds. “What those people often don’t consider, however, is the harm — both present and future — inflicted on their children once a divorce is finalized.”

The financial and legal consequences can be inmense, and I reject the assumption that most parents "don't consider the harm" the decision will have on their children.

Tldr, - divorce can be extremely difficult, and Carson has no idea what he's talking about.
It won't solve the issues with families. Adultery will soar and probably homicides as some people will just kill their way out.

Oh my gosh, dumb **** doesn't care about what preventative care is.

Last edited:
He also says that rich people should have the best healthcare. Contingents better healthcare on people's ability to pay.

What these free market clowns don't realize is that private health care costs are what's contributing to America's economic decline.

American health care is more expensive, which means that American workers are more expensive to employ, and also means that they end up with less effective take home pay.

China spends 7% of their GDP on health care.
Canada spends 12% of their GDP on health care.
The USA spends 17% of its GDP on health care.

All of America's major economic competitors have socialized health care. And that is easy to understand from economic first principles: insurance pools are more efficient when they're larger.

If you're immunocompromised for any reason, North Carolina is a state you should avoid for the foreseeable future, I guess. :(

If you're immunocompromised for any reason, North Carolina is a state you should avoid for the foreseeable future, I guess. :(
I can see why my sister wants to move out and go to Maine.

My wife and daughter are both immunosuppressed due to medication they have to take to tamp down rejection issues. My daughter had leukemia and needed a bone marrow transplant. My wife's issue has been under control for quite some time, but, for the life of me, I can't understand what kind of idiot would pass a law like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"