• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Discussion: The Spread of Fascism/Theocracy/Authoritarianism

The fact that Western elites are now relying on threatening assassinations is very much an indicator of imperial weakness.

In a statement published later Thursday night, Neighborhood and Enlargement Commissioner Olivér Várhelyi said his words had been “not just fully taken out of context but was also presented to the public in a way which could give rise to a complete misinterpretation of the originally intended aim of my phone call.”

He reiterated the EU’s call for the foreign agent bill to be dropped, and said he had been trying to warn Kobakhidze “not to enflame further the already fragile situation by adopting this law which could lead to further polarisation and to possible uncontrolled situations on the streets of Tbilisi.”

Kobakhidze also linked the May 15 shooting of the Slovak leader — in which a 71-year old suspect has confessed to having acted alone — to the intelligence services of a country “closely linked to the Global War Party.” The phrase, which references a shadowy cabal supposedly responsible for dragging Ukraine into conflict with Russia, echoes Kremlin propaganda and has been used several times by politicians from the governing Georgian Dream party in recent weeks.
Tina Bokuchava, leader of the largest opposition party in Georgia’s parliament, the United National Movement, blasted the prime minister for “promoting dubious conspiracy theories at every turn.”

“The protests of recent weeks make it clear that the Georgian public desperately desires a future at the heart of Europe. These wild allegations will do little to further those ambitions.”

Commissioner Varhelyi actually acknowledged it, though he claims to be speaking in code.

Being fully aware of the very strong pro-EU sentiment of the Georgian society, during my phone conversation I felt the need to call the attention of the Prime Minister on the importance not to enflame further the already fragile situation by adopting this law which could lead to further polarisation and to possible uncontrolled situations on the streets of Tbilisi. In this regard, the latest tragic event in Slovakia was made as an example and as a reference to where such high level of polarisation can lead in a society even in Europe.

On uniparty talking points, though these politicians are technically in two different parties, they're using identical talking points, provided to them by a single external source.

The indispensable Caitlin Johnstone points out that if Americans can't vote against genocide, then they don't have a genuine democracy.

But Trump would only allow that genocide to continue so that argument doesn't have much merit. :(

But Trump would only allow that genocide to continue so that argument doesn't have much merit. :(
That's the argument though, that Trump and Biden and Kennedy are indistinguishable on the issue of Gaza, so American voters don't get a choice.

That's the argument though, that Trump and Biden and Kennedy are indistinguishable on the issue of Gaza, so American voters don't get a choice.
That I can see, i thought they were saying a vote for Biden was a vote for genocide, but yeah, on that one topic alone, there is no choice. However a vote against Biden seems to me a vote against democracy because of the extreme positions of the other two candidates.

They may not send you to jail for having the wrong political views, but they do something worse -- they take away your university degree.

The other aspect of this is that it's further proof that Universities aren't about the students, they're about the donors.

They may not send you to jail for having the wrong political views, but they do something worse -- they take away your university degree.

The other aspect of this is that it's further proof that Universities aren't about the students, they're about the donors.
Yeah, if you've earned the degree they shouldn't have the right to take it away because of your political views. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"