• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Elon Musk: Robots will take your jobs, government will have to pay your wage

hellified

Civilian
Reaction score
According to Musk, there really won't be any other options.

"There is a pretty good chance we end up with a universal basic income, or something like that, due to automation," says Musk to CNBC. "Yeah, I am not sure what else one would do. I think that is what would happen."

In a country with universal basic income, each individual gets a regular check from the government. Switzerland considered instituting a universal basic income of 2,500 Swiss francs ($2578) a month this summer. Voters ultimately rejected the plan, but it sparked a broad, global conversation.

While society is slowly mulling over the idea of a basic human income, technology is rapidly changing the global workforce.

For example, in the future, semi-trailer trucks will be able to drive themselves. And though that won't become the status quo for a while, it will mean that there won't be a need for quite as many truck drivers, says Musk.

Some drivers will transition to fleet operators, responsible for monitoring the status of a fleet of trucks, not any one individual truck. If a truck appears to be having issues, then the fleet operator would come in remotely and solve the problem.

"Actually, it's probably a more interesting job than just driving one [truck]," says Musk.

It's likely those truck drivers who no longer have a job might see the situation differently.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...l-have-to-pay-your-wage/ar-AAjUyJK?li=BBnbfcL

People keep saying its like horse and buggy to cars or the industrial revolution or the electronic revolution...this is different from that.

Past revolutions made major shifts in things but they actually CREATED jobs in and of themselves...The industrial revolution brought with it mass manufacturing which meant building factories and machines and hiring people to operate that stuff...in fact you had to hire people to make the material that was needed to make the factories and machines. People didn't need to acquire new skills as much as redirect the skills they had for a new function.

A guy that used to till the land with a team of mules and hoe is now sitting in a machine to do it but HE's still on the farm tilling the land. In the robot/AI age he's not even in the machine on the farm anymore..And the computers (programmed by someone else) knows how to farm as efficiently or better than he does because they don't need breaks and don't have to worry about injuries and work place hazards. So where does that leave him?

Well he'll just figure it out or someone will come up with new way...and if they don't then what??

Not everybody can code and not everybody WANTS to code. Technology is moving faster than its even been....much faster than it was during the industrial revolution. The biggest difference is before machines were created to do more work but PEOPLE had to operate the machines...today machines are created to more work and the machines can operate THEMSELVES.

So where does that leave people who can't make that pivot? And theres going to be MILLIONS of people who can't make that pivot.

This next leap in tech and cultural revolution MAY open up a way for national basic income....I mean people/cargo moving is some of the most basic labor jobs most people have or can get. Hell Uber showed that ANYONE can be a cab driver... and that also tends to be the job many immigrants get and if those jobs get replaced with AVs (automated vehicles) whats going to happen to those millions of people? What thing is on the horizon that can compensate for the lost labor??

There may be no choice but to either expand welfare or create a basic income entitlement.

Didn't they implement universal basic income in an African village and find extremely successful results?

tumblr_inline_o1mwe6Hs841qgp297_500.gif

We're headed for driverless cars in the 2030s, countless jobs will be automated well before that, in the past few hundred years we've been able to counter technological advancements by generating new industries, but that's going to dry up with automation. Something does need to be done, even if it isn't what Musk is saying.

That's a good idea, take these robots for space exploration and building up colonies in other planets.
Just don't spend my money on it.

Many futurists have been saying this for a while.

Will robots take away our jobs in the future? Probably, said inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil.

But that’s really no big deal, he added, since we’ll just make new ones.

It’s happened before. Machines have taken over human jobs “many times,” said Kurzweil, who, in addition to receiving the National Medal of Technology, is the director of engineering at Google.

Take agriculture. The percentage of U.S. adults working in the industry today is a fraction of what it was a hundred or so years ago, thanks to the invention of sophisticated farming machinery. Luckily, there’s a flipside to this equation: technological advancements have also created jobs. The overwhelming percentage of Americans employed in information technology today, for example, all have jobs that didn’t exist 100 years ago.
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/272212

we-asked-an-australian-futurist-about-jobs-that-dont-exist-yet
VICE: Ross, let's get right to the point. Are we going to lose our job to robots in the future?
Ross Dawson: That's a big question. There are many jobs of today that will be replaced by automation. The big question is: Will we be able to create new jobs as fast as we are losing them? Throughout the history of humanity, we've destroyed jobs and we've created new ones. Now, the pace of job destruction is increasing

What jobs are we losing?
Straightforward mechanical tasks, mainly. We've already lost a lot of blue collar work to automation, though more skilled trades are safe for some while. Now, we're starting to see white-collar middle manager jobs replaced.

Eventually we might reach a point in which the there aren't enough jobs for the working population.

I think every other Asimov or Philip K. Dick story has focused on robots basically becoming the Mexicans of the future.

They say this every few years. [New technology] is going to make [old jobs] irrelevant and we will have too many people without jobs and it will ruin society.

I feel really lucky that I'm a creative. No machine could take my job. :)

So, we don't have to work and get more money a month than I make now for free?

Where do I sign up?

Many futurists have been saying this for a while.
Even I said that more than once.

It's basic logic if androids do start to take on jobs that no one wants to do, unemployment will grow like crazy.

There is also other problems, like selling and buying products from other countries, since we all will be self-sufficient and self–reliant.
Poverty will grow exponentially in countries that will not be able to keep the pace, since those countries will be totally dependent on others to survive (even more than now) and prices will go even higher (unfortunately, we are *******s like that).
Then there is the suicide problem. The less jobs we have, the less we do anything, the less depression will hit us; lack of motivation and apathy will "rule" and suicide is just a step away.
The world is messed up like this.

Bottom line, we can't just, one day, say "let's give this job to robots".
Things need to be well thought out and planned.

Haha, I can always depend on the master of the slippery slope.

I dont know why "universal basic income" is not a thing, even without the robots.

Do people just want to se the unemployed suffer?

Musk is right. This is going to happen whether we like it or not, and we'll almost certainly start to see this happen on a mass-scale during our lifetimes. Hell, it's already happening in many ways.

I dont know why "universal basic income" is not a thing, even without the robots.

Do people just want to se the unemployed suffer?

What motivation is there to work when you get a paycheck for doing nothing? Honest question.

Secondly, who funds this? The robot tax payers?

Soon this will become a reality!

[YT]H4IbfEI6UfM[/YT]

What motivation is there to work when you get a paycheck for doing nothing? Honest question.

Secondly, who funds this? The robot tax payers?

People make the same complaint about welfare but the vast majority of those on it are working poor. Even people who collect social security tend to get jobs as well.

So the reality of a universal basic wage is something that most likely won't be retiring on. But it will cover things like rent or utilities or food.

This thread and your use of Data gifs reminds me of that old Star Trek comic I read of a traveler popping into the Starship Enterprise, talking about how people on his planets went very soft after robots took jobs away from them and served their needs and desires (except sex).
Then his brother destroyed buildings and enslaved everyone, cause he was handed control over the factory of robotics.

I have no idea who the artist or the writer are, I know I read it translated, they scratch credits out in translations.

Data is of course... Fully functional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"