• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ESPN Page 2 - 18 Greatest Teams that ended up Collapsing

Although you can make cases for both, I'd say the '07 Mavs would take the cake... they were a 67-win team that lost to an eighth seed they should have swept. But Golden State did have Nellie, and he coached the Mavs forever.

Everyone down here thought the Mavs would roll on thru to the finals. I was the only person who expected the Warriors to beat the Mavs.

I still say the Commies. Probably the biggest upset of all time. And it ended the Cold War because we won.

I would have to agree with that.

Everyone down here thought the Mavs would roll on thru to the finals. I was the only person who expected the Warriors to beat the Mavs.

Actually The Riddler, New York Spider, & Myself also thought the Warriors were going to beat Da Mavs.

2001 St. Louis Rams

The team of the century. The team on the verge of a dynasty. The team that started the Patriots we know now.

what about the 07 Mets, weren't they the best team in the NL for pretty much the entire season?

with one of the best offenses:

Reyes, Delgado, Beltran, Lo Duca, Wright, Alou

and one of the best closers:

Billy Wagner

and solid pitching performers:
Tom Glavine, Oliver Perez, El Duque, John Maine and the returning Pedro.

The '98 Vikings tore my heart out. :(
VikingsCheer.jpg

There is a transvestite in the middle. Mercy..

It's like the old Robert Palmer video.

the Rams seemed to die when Kurt Warner was slammed to the turf and injured his thumb. Ever since then he was never the same, the greatest shown on turf came to an end, and the Rams really never returned to the success they'd had in 1999-2001. Except a couple of second round playoff exits.

We beat Seattle 3 times in 2004 I think. 2-0 in regular season, and beat them at Qwest Field. What a nice win :):up:

We beat Seattle 3 times in 2004 I think. 2-0 in regular season, and beat them at Qwest Field. What a nice win :):up:

yeah, one game i remember the Seahawks led by like 20 points or something and i went upstairs to have dinner figuring the game was over. I come back down and the Rams are driving on them in OT about to win. I could not believe that.

This isn't a very good list. I don't think a collapse should entail teams that acutally made it to championship games. A collapse is losing early or losing to a clearly inferior team.

...How did they collapse? And how were they a great team?

they were a great team.....compared to the Dolphins

Mavericks choked...but thats my team...therefore its hard to vote for them in this...I went with the 01 Mariners and a couple others

Waaaait....

2004 Yankees??? They were up 3-0 over the lifeless Red Sox. What about the 2001 yankees as well! After 9/11, they were "America's" baseball team, and destined to win the world series.

I know those picks show my red sox bias, but still, those are huge choke jobs.

I couldn't believe the 2004 Yankees weren't up there either. I was at Game 2, which the Yankees won, and we just had them. It was the most pathetic collapse I ever witnessed.

I wouldn't put 2001 up there, though. They came back from 0-2 to beat the A's in the ALDS, beat Seattle who'd won 116 games in the ALCS, then came back and won those 3 games in NY. Watching Mo blow it at the end was crazy, but the fact that they were there at all was too good to be true anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"