• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Federal Judge Orders Halt To Warrantless Wiretapping

jaguarr said:
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/9695327/detail.html

Judge Orders Halt To Warrantless Wiretapping

POSTED: 12:59 pm EDT August 17, 2006
UPDATED: 1:14 pm EDT August 17, 2006

DETROIT -- A federal judge ruled Thursday that the government's warrantless wiretapping program is unconstitutional and ordered an immediate halt to it. U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor in Detroit became the first judge to strike down the National Security Agency's program, which she says violates the rights to free speech and privacy as well as the separation of powers enshrined in the Constitution.

"Plaintiffs have prevailed, and the public interest is clear, in this matter. It is the upholding of our Constitution," Taylor wrote in her 43-page opinion.
The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit on behalf of journalists, scholars and lawyers who say the program has made it difficult for them to do their jobs. They believe many of their overseas contacts are likely targets of the program, which involves secretly listening to conversations between people in the U.S. and people in other countries.

The government argued that the program is well within the president's authority, but said proving that would require revealing state secrets.

The ACLU said the state-secrets argument was irrelevant because the Bush administration had already publicly revealed enough information about the program for Taylor to rule on the case.

"By holding that even the president is not above the law, the court has done its duty," said Ann Beeson, the ACLU's associate legal director and the lead attorney for the plaintiffs.

The NSA had no immediate comment on the ruling.

Taylor dismissed a separate claim by the ACLU over data-mining of phone records by the NSA. She said not enough had been publicly revealed about that program to support the claim and further litigation could jeopardize state secrets.

WOOHOOO!!!! :up:

jag

Yes best news this year! :up: :up:

Future Prez said:
I know it'll be taken to the Supreme Court, who, because they're in Bush's back pocket, will rule in his favor.

I'm pretty sure it will get appealed up to the Supreme Court, but I'm not so sure that it will be overturned, to be honest. There are some prety sound legal underpinnings for it to be shut down like this judge did.

jag

Addendum said:
dick_vermeil.jpg

:up:

Don't **** with Vermeil!:up:

Darthphere said:
What are we waiting for?

Lazur, Fred Fury, or Jonty telling us that these liberal judges who make laws from the bench support the terrorists.

Oh, and Celldog is going to post a picture of Captain America.

Matt said:
Lazur, Fred Fury, or Jonty telling us that these liberal judges who make laws from the bench support the terrorists.

Oh, and Celldog is going to post a picture of Captain America.

yeah, i'm waiting for the bush-apologists to come here and try to claim that the nsa program wasn't illegal. where'd they all go? they were so cocky about being right before.

Future Prez said:
Anway, would you really want Dick in the Oval Office?

Isnt that what clinton saod to lewinsky?

funny that, actually. dick in the oval office got clinton impeached.
buch getting impeached would mean dick in the oval office.

bored said:
I... is Rummy checking out Spidey's package?

Rummy knows what he likes when he see's it.

jag

There is SO much repressed homosexuality in that picture.

maxwell's demon said:
yes.

also, cap is checking out rummy's.:dry:

Spidey's got his arm around Rummy, so there are no innocents in that picture. :csad:

jag

"around"?

follow the trajectory. he's massaging the Moons of Rumsfeld. :disturbed:

maxwell's demon said:
"around"?

follow the trajectory. he's massaging the Moons of Rumsfeld. :disturbed:

Maybe he was using his Spider-Sense to give Rummy his yearly prostate exam? :huh:

jag

I love that Bush isn't getting his way on this. His spells and potions must not have worked at Bohemian Grove this year! Poor Molech worshipper.

jaguarr said:
Maybe he was using his Spider-Sense to give Rummy his yearly prostate exam? :huh:

jag

If that's true, Cap is using his shield to cover up his *****.:(

Alpha and Omega said:
If that's true, Cap is using his shield to cover up his *****.:(

He always was pretty resourceful.

jag

jaguarr said:
He always was pretty resourceful.

jag

I have a nagging suspicion that those three attended a covert post-celebration gala filled w/ unnatural Greco-Roman wrestling.

Alpha and Omega said:
I have a nagging suspicion that those three attended a covert post-celebration gala filled w/ unnatural Greco-Roman wrestling.

I'll bet it was at Bohemian Grove.

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"