Ghostbusters 3 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and why did they call it "The Real"? Cause past 1984 everyone knew Ghostbusters as 4 dudes called Venkman, Stanz, Spengller and Zeddmore. And still do.

Because there was already a cartoon on the air called Ghostbusters at the time and that was Columbia's way of spiting Filmation. :D

Or maybe cause one was insanely more popular and recognized haha.

They wouldn't have named it that if it wasn't more popular.

Or maybe cause one was insanely more popular and recognized haha.

Obviously. You didn't think that was my point though, did you? You have to be objective. You can't fault this movie for doing the exact same thing, the original did.

I'm not really faulting the film for doing the same thing or even the new cast. Which I actually think is pretty solid for the most part.

I'm criticizing it for what I have read on them changing the mythology and the world. Instead of being able to enjoy a new story in the world that's been established in numerous media over the decades, I'll be comparing the major changes and this new teams re-invention.

They were thinking about not calling the movie Ghostbusters at first because of the whole rights thing, that's also why the first poster for the movie had just the logo but no title. It wasn't until that scene outside Dana's apartment with the crowd shouting the name that they decided to stick with it.

I'm not really faulting the film for doing the same thing or even the new cast. Which I actually think is pretty solid for the most part.

I'm criticizing it for what I have read on them changing the mythology and the world.

Got it. :up: Yeah, I'm just talking about strictly the name. Everything else at this point is up in the air. I really have no expectations for this, one way or another.

Got it. :up: Yeah, I'm just talking about strictly the name. Everything else at this point is up in the air. I really have no expectations for this, one way or another.

Yeah, my expectations are gonna be low. But hopefully it's cool, and my mind is just creating the worst scenario. Like it does with most franchises haha.

So they could have a plot where dimensions merge or Ray and others travel through dimensions and go to the female-verse or vice versa. I think Ghostbuser scripts were going through drafts involving inter dimension travel

So they could have a plot where dimensions merge or Ray and others travel through dimensions and go to the female-verse or vice versa. I think Ghostbuser scripts were going through drafts involving inter dimension travel

Definitely room to do something like this down the line. Hell, there could be a sequence at the end of the movie where crossing the streams or whatever cataclysmic feat the girls try to defeat the villain opens an interdimensional window where we see Ray and Winston busting on the other side. Who knows?

Anyone watching the new Ninja Turtles cartoon probably saw the episode when they peered into Dimension X and see the 90's turtle universe. Something like that is always a possibility with Ghostbusters, too.

We so need that first trailer or first image of the equipment or girls suited up. It's tiring speculating from the very miniscule info we have. I need something new for us to be excited/angry at!

Can't speak for everyone, but I was obsessed with both and watched the cartoon cause it featured the same characters and had Stay Puft, Slimer etc. Same world, and the film impacted the whole start of that. So I disagree with you here quite a bit. If it wasn't the same world I probably would not have cared, and if it wasn't for the films success the cartoon would not have existed. That's what got the interest.

But I do agree the problem of appealing to a larger younger demo can be fixed with a cartoon featuring more characters when it comes to kids merch. Think I mentioned that in the my other comment as well. There's a crap load of potential money here that I'm sure multiple companies including Sony want to bank on.

Definitely agree that without the movie no cartoon would have existed, but I was merely pointing out that without the cartoon would we have had the 80's toyline we did? Probably not as the movie wasn't kid friendly. I was only 1 when it came out and was probably too young when I first watched it. The lines I repeated to my mother...

But the Real Ghostbusters sanitized the adult elements of the movies and focused on the ghost catching element for kids, paving way for the toys that my two little boys still play with today.

After letting it soak in, I'm not so angry at this reboot as long as it's good. I'm rooting for it.

Definitely agree that without the movie no cartoon would have existed, but I was merely pointing out that without the cartoon would we have had the 80's toyline we did? Probably not as the movie wasn't kid friendly. I was only 1 when it came out and was probably too young when I first watched it. The lines I repeated to my mother...

But the Real Ghostbusters sanitized the adult elements of the movies and focused on the ghost catching element for kids, paving way for the toys that my two little boys still play with today.

I loved the fact that TRG captured the spirit and tone of the movie without the more risque humor, but I don't think in this day and age you can have that kind of dual brand anymore, with the manner in which information is disseminated.

I remember showing my younger cousins, who were fanatics about TRG, GB1 for the first time, and they had no idea their favorite cartoon was based on a "people movie." They weren't dumb or anything, it's just that in the 1980s, you couldn't just look at your phone or at a computer and call up everything you need to know about a show you like. And parents could have more control over what movies their kids saw (a time before VOD, before DVDs, before Amazon, when VHS rentals [usually only for grown-ups] were the only way you could see a movie after its theatrical release because even a single VHS copy of a movie to keep was very expensive; yes, I am that old :().

I don't think you could have a "kid's version" anymore of a given property (Game Of Treehouses With Tyrion And Friends) because the kids now can access all the other material so easily, and then suddenly you've got the moral crusaders on your ass because your "adult version" is seen as marketing to kids.

The Red Wedding would simply be everyone getting beat up offscreen.

The Red Wedding would simply be everyone getting beat up offscreen.

"In today's episode, we visited the Red Wedding, where mean ole Walder Frey spilled cranberry drink all over Catelyn's new dress. You know, accidents happen some times, but if you say sorry, usually things work out in the end."

"And know you know. And knowing is half the battle!"

"Kiii-iing's Guard!!!! Da da, da, da da!"

The cartoon was made cause GB's already had am extremely strong kid audience though. I couldn't see it when it came out in the theatre either, but all my friends and family had it recorded on VHS and it was a pop culture phenomenon. It was marketed and talked about constantly. This was an extremely huge film. There were not 100's of heavy VFX blockbuster movies of that quality those days, so GB's really stood out.

The 80s had many movies that were not intended for kids but they saw anyways. Robocop, Predator, Aliens etc. That never really stopped them from having toy lines or cartoons either. If the film gets the interest of kids that's all they cared about. Films like Back To The Future, Ghostbusters, Indy, and Gremlins were the lighter ones (even though some had darker elements) and definitely had a heavy audience made of kids. Heck even 80s children movies were not kid friendly. Ever seen The Peanut Buttr Solution? That **** is ****ed up! Transformers had curse words and murdered all their leads, pretty much did it all for new toys.

Definitely would not have saw as much merch but TRG really only exists cause they knew it sold well with kids to start with. Can't say it's the only reason this thing worked with kids though. It's popularity originated elsewhere. Adjusted Ghosbusters is the 32 highest ranking domestic film of all time, majority of the 80s kids had to be aware of the connection. The song alone was being blared everywhere throughout the decade and they had cereal, video games etc prior to the cartoon.

Last edited:
The cartoon was made cause GB's already had am extremely strong kid audience though. I couldn't see it when it came out either, but all my friends and family had it on a recorded VHS. This was an extremely huge film. There were not 100's of heavy VFX blockbuster movie of that quality those days so GB's really stood out.

The 80s had many movies that were not intended for kids but they saw anyways. Robocop, Predator, Aliens etc. Films like Back To The Future, Ghostbusters, Indy, and Gremlins were the lighter ones actually (even thought they had darker elements) and definitely had a heavy audience made of kids. Heck even 80s kids movies were not kid friendly. Ever seen The Peanut Buttr Solution. That **** is ****ed up! Transformers had curse words and murdered all their leads.

This exactly - i was born in '83 and for some reason grew up loving Terminator 2 - playing with the action figures, same goes for Robocop, Predator (in fact any arnie film), Aliens, Freddy Krueger, Halloween etc.

I think in those days, parents didn't really see the harm - it was violent, but it was just a movie as their reaction i am guessing. In fact my dad would turn over a sex scene, but let me watch Murphy get his body blown to bits to become Robocop!

But then in the UK two children kidnapped a toddler and tortured him to death - they blamed a film they saw called Child's play - featuring a talking possessed doll and apparently what they did to the poor infant was because of what they saw in that movie and that caused an out cry and changed everything.

It would be like children having expendable action figures in the play ground or Taken 1,2,3 toys in their lunch box.

But the thing is, GB created something so iconic - the uniform, the proton packs, the car, slimmer, stay puft sailor - it caught everyone's imagination and a toned down cartoon was produced for children - not so much as a tie in, but because the concept was so good.

Let's use Predator as an example - an alien lands in a jungle and takes on an army - that's so cool for young kids, especially boys to role play. Same goes with ghost busters.

All the above mentioned movies have fantastic concepts and elements that for kids would make great role play, it's just a shame they were based off movies that featured adult elements.

So the ghostbusters has expanded from more than just a movie, it's a universe. Adults - male and female, busting ghosts, using cool gadgets, a retro car and quirky uniforms. To dismiss these elements and make a fresh 'start' movie, from what we have heard so far, is a bit foolish.

I forgot NOES, Friday The 13th and those guys were marketed to kids in the 80s as well. All that fantasy/horror/sci fi pop culture stuff hit hard regardless of rating.

Last edited:
It would be like children having expendable action figures in the play ground or Taken 1,2,3 toys in their lunch box.

Qui Gon Jinn has a particular set of skills.

I remember the Alien and Predator. I had those a good 5 years before I actually saw any of the movies.

I had completely forgotten about Terminator 2 toys. Wasn't allowed to see it, but I bought the toys. It was definitely a different time back then.

Qui Gon Jinn has a particular set of skills.

Taken: The Animated Series

Everyweek Bryan Mills must save someone who has been....taken. He gets a team consisting of a jive talking asian girl, a former MMA fighter for muscle, and a magical gnome who has the hots for aforementioned asian girl.

Walking into the cafeteria with Neeson's face on your lunch box. How cool would that be?

Kid- Is this seat....Taken?

Walking into the cafeteria with Neeson's face on your lunch box. How cool would that be?

The thing is Neeson would not be above doing that if someone asked him.

With that lunchbox, you could trade carrot sticks for a full-size Snickers and get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"