• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Supergirl Katie McGrath IS Lena Luthor!

While I agree with your general assessment of tumblr Kelly, just for the record, this was not a poll she won. These statistics were done by Fandometrics, which measures popularity based on mentions, tags, etc. so no block voting could be involved, just an extremely...active fandom, lol.

It IS kinda impressive considering the viewership here is so low compared to so many other fandoms. Those Supercorpers are nothing if not devoted. ;)

Melissa didn't do too bad either. She was 8th. Top 10:
1. Katie McGrath
2. Gal Gadot
3. Emma Watson
4. Carrie Fisher
5. Lili Reinhart
6. Zendaya
7. Kristen Stewart
8. Melissa Benoist
9. Jennifer Lawrence
10. Gillian Anderson
and
18. Chyler Leigh

https://thefandometrics.tumblr.com/post/168017030884/tumblr2017-actresses

Her accent is really starting to get out of control.

Wow! Melissa comes in 8th and Chyler 18th? I was thinking those two had far wider following on tumblr than that.

I think what the statistics actually show is just how much of a niche tumblr and the fandom that operates there are.

If you ask a random person, they would probably know who Emma Watson is... or Gal Gadot is... They might go and watch Wonder Woman 2 or even Justice League for Gal... and while Emma Watson's film career may not be quite the same thing, I think more people have seen and are fans of Harry Potter and Hermione Granger than any Katie McGrath show.

Doesn't take away from Katie's fans of course. However, I do think that the statistics doesn't reflect the actual popularity of any of these actors (and most certainly not their talent).

Last edited:
Wow! Melissa comes in 8th and Chyler 18th? I was thinking those two had far wider following on tumblr than that.

I think what the statistics actually show is just how much of a niche tumblr and the fandom that operates there are.

If you ask a random person, they would probably know who Emma Watson is... or Gal Gadot is... They might go and watch Wonder Woman 2 or even Justice League for Gal... and while Emma Watson's film career may not be quite the same thing, I think more people have seen and are fans of Harry Potter and Hermione Granger than any Katie McGrath show.

Doesn't take away from Katie's fans of course. However, I do think that the statistics doesn't reflect the actual popularity of any of these actors (and most certainly not their talent).

The fact that Melissa is #8 and Chyler is #18, BLOWS MY MIND....TOTALLY BLOWS MY MIND....apparently there wasn't a way to vote for more than one.

Again Kelly, it wasn’t a vote/poll.

They need to make the Luthors an Irish family. It will make things simpler.

We need some scenes of her in a pub with Jimmy and Kara ordering a few pints. Then she can break out into a rousing song.

Again Kelly, it wasn’t a vote/poll.

Then what the hell is it? What is the criteria, or who came up with it? Totally confused as to what it is then....I went to look at it, and I still have no clue what it is...

OK, I see it is tag searches....so, actually has nothing to do with popularity, but people simply using or searching certain tags. Ok....... even less relevant than what I thought....LOL

Oh, and sorry FC didn't see your initial post...

And yes you are correct, but I would add....fanatical, moving rapidly to stalking crazy.

Last edited:
I think it’s more interesting than a poll because it’s basically who is most-discussed/mentioned on Tumblr (as it’s not just searches, it’s mentions and tags too), and it kinda shows how Tumblr is like it’s own little planet, where people on the least-watched broadcast network (and are therefore largely unknowns to the mainstream populous) are more talked-about than people on shows and movies with 10x as many fans/viewers.

Since it’s not a poll and can’t be artificially swayed, it really is a metric of what folks are going to tumblr for. I’d be curious to see who the male actors were.

EDIT: The New York Times just did a little piece on Tumblr shipping, where Supercorp is of course mentioned - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/style/tumblr-shippers.html

And as you can see from that, it really is SO niche. Not a single one of those "most popular ships on Tumblr" is from a show or movie that would be considered "mainstream popular" at all. No Game of Thrones ships, no Star Wars ships, no Marvel ships...like I said, it's like it's own little planet.

Last edited:
I think it’s more interesting than a poll because it’s basically who is most-discussed/mentioned on Tumblr (as it’s not just searches, it’s mentions and tags too), and it kinda shows how Tumblr is like it’s own little planet, where people on the least-watched broadcast network (and are therefore largely unknowns to the mainstream populous) are more talked-about than people on shows and movies with 10x as many fans/viewers.

Since it’s not a poll and can’t be artificially swayed, it really is a metric of what folks are going to tumblr for. I’d be curious to see who the male actors were.

EDIT: The New York Times just did a little piece on Tumblr shipping, where Supercorp is of course mentioned - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/style/tumblr-shippers.html

And as you can see from that, it really is SO niche. Not a single one of those "most popular ships on Tumblr" is from a show or movie that would be considered "mainstream popular" at all. No Game of Thrones ships, no Star Wars ships, no Marvel ships...like I said, it's like it's own little planet.

If it were from a combination of several areas of social media, yes it would be interesting. But, knowing what I have read from tumblr, and seeing those same posters on twitter. It is a **** hole of psycho stanning of actors like Katie, and if I were her....I would be distancing myself from that **** as much as I could.....which it looks like she has done since she has absolutely no footprint of her own on social media. The only thing she knows about any of this is what Melissa has told her....she herself has said that.

But to me, I really see no difference than the block voting that goes on on sites that do popular vote polls. Most of the shippers have the ship name ALL OVER their tumblr and twitter feeds, in every post they post, whether it is about Supergirl or not and they obsess over it relentlessly just as they spend an enormous amount of time on twitter searching for every poll that #Supercorp or Lena or Katie is on against other Supergirl actors ships etc to make sure they win to SHOW THOSE WRITERS that they are right and the writers are wrong... And OMG......after the MTV interview fiasco during SDCC this past summer, tumblr EXPLODED with the #Supercorp hashtag....it was like they kicked a hornets nest and ant bed at the same time and the place went crazy. So I would venture to say it was that that put them over the top in numbers of hits, hashtags and searches. They were searching the hell out of Melissa to hit every single post she made that was on tumblr, Instagram and Twitter to troll the hell out of it. Just total madness....The ships you are going to find there are from "The 100", "Wynonna Earp" etc...

Last edited:
If it were from a combination of several areas of social media, yes it would be interesting. But, knowing what I have read from tumblr, and seeing those same posters on twitter. It is a **** hole of psycho stanning of actors like Katie, and if I were her....I would be distancing myself from that **** as much as I could.....which it looks like she has done since she has absolutely no footprint of her own on social media. The only thing she knows about any of this is what Melissa has told her....she herself has said that.
That was from an interview a while back - I think it's safe to say after the meet and greets at the Paley event, SDCC, etc. she knows A LOT more about it now, not just from Melissa. But yes, I agree it's wise of her to stay off of social media and away from the whole thing.

But to me, I really see no difference than the block voting that goes on on sites that do popular vote polls. Most of the shippers have the ship name ALL OVER their tumblr and twitter feeds, in every post they post, whether it is about Supergirl or not and they obsess over it relentlessly just as they spend an enormous amount of time on twitter searching for every poll that #Supercorp or Lena or Katie is on against other Supergirl actors ships etc to make sure they win to SHOW THOSE WRITERS that they are right and the writers are wrong... And OMG......after the MTV interview fiasco during SDCC this past summer, tumblr EXPLODED with the #Supercorp hashtag....it was like they kicked a hornets nest and ant bed at the same time and the place went crazy. So I would venture to say it was that that put them over the top in numbers of hits, hashtags and searches. They were searching the hell out of Melissa to hit every single post she made that was on tumblr, Instagram and Twitter to troll the hell out of it. Just total madness....The ships you are going to find there are from "The 100", "Wynonna Earp" etc...
It's not the same as block voting because that's an organized effort to produce an artificial result. This is literally a statistical measurement of how much they talk about something. That's not fake, it just is what it is. But yes, I think you're correct that the SDCC mess had a lot to do with it this year.

Doesn't really mean anything. I think the ScreenRant article was more amused that an actress that was the star of one the most successful, most praised superhero movies ever was beat out
in anything by a supporting actress on a low rated TV show. Even if it was a poll where the ballot box was being stuffed, that Katie was have such a fan base she would have stuffers is significant.

822075.jpg

c76c95d49fe885024d14d8e58ae4396b--katie-mcgrath-katie-omalley.jpg

If they ever introduced the character (maybe from a different Earth?) Kate could definitely portray (a) version of Wonder Woman for the DCCW.

If they ever introduced the character (maybe from a different Earth?) Kate could definitely portray (a) version of Wonder Woman for the DCCW.

A short version. :oldrazz:

Haha 5'6 isn't incredibly short but as talented as I find McGrath to be and as awesome as she is, I'm not sure I see her as WW. I'd be willing to give it a shot if it happened but that's not the first character I'd think of her portraying. Imo, someone like Zatanna would be a more suitable fit.

Please, please, please dress Lena as a normal business woman.....seriously.

LOL, did you see the roundtable discussion with Katie on Lena's wardrobe? I think y'all are on the same page on that one.

Last edited:
Please, please, please dress Lena as a normal business woman.....seriously.

Seconded. If anyone is paying attention... We don't need another bad Luthor just because!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"