Sci-Fi Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

I also really didn't notice the length of this movie either, surprised to see people commenting that it's too long or it was a slow-burn. I was hooked from the beginning, to be honest.

I have no problem sitting through a 2+ or 3+ or even 4+ hour movie. Heck, I'll gladly take them--I'm look at you, extended editions of LOTR. The issue is never the length of the piece, it's the pacing, story, and character development. I thought Bell handled these elements masterfully in Kingdom.

Wes Bell was a great choice for the director. As excited as I am for his take on Zelda, I'm hoping the Apes sequels take precedence over that...

I saw @psylockolussus throw out Reign of the Planet of the Apes ... I like that one a lot. Lol I'm struggling to think of other "XXX of the Planet of the Apes" that could still be used...
Reign should have been used as the title instead of Kingdom, since its 1 syllable like War, Rise and Dawn. 🐒

Other title I could think of are:
Age of the Planet of the Apes
Fall of the Planet of the Apes
Era of the Planet of the Apes
Time of the Planet of the Apes
End of the Planet of the Apes
Queendom of the Planet of the Apes

Ooh "Age of the Planet of the Apes" sounds good too. And then maybe "Fall of the Planet of the Apes" if **** starts hitting the fan in the threequel.

A few other titles for consideration...no real story ideas behind them; I'm a novice when it comes to Planet of the Apes lore...

Legend of the Planet of the Apes
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
Survival of the Planet of the Apes
Annihilation of the Planet of the Apes

Fantastic movie. My favorite of the year so far. I watched The Fall Guy but this one definitely felt like it was kicking off the summer blockbuster season.

I think watching it on shrooms added to the intensity :nosee:

58.5m opening, putting it second to only Dawn (ahead of both Rise and War).

"It received a B CinemaScore from audiences despite plenty of glowing reviews by critics. Studio insiders aren’t overly concerned about the CinemaScore, noting that 85 percent of moviegoers gave it an A or a B. This suggests that a vocal minority dragged down the overall score by giving it a C or lower. And exit polling by PostTrak shows both general audiences and kids and parents giving the fourquel four out of five stars. Good word-of-mouth helps to explain why Sunday traffic was so much stronger than expected."

It doesn't exactly seem like a case of vocal minority to me. There are various people who didn't care much for the movie, both audience members and critics. It feels more like mostly positive, while flirting with the mixed side a bit.

That being said, CinemaScore is just one metric system and it only concerns the US. Civil War had a worse score and it still had very good legs in subsequent weeks. I think Kingdom is going to be a similar case because it mostly has a good word of mouth and many people love it enough to watch it again.

This was a bad movie, overly long and unfocused, with nothing interesting to say or bring to the franchise. Wes Ball doesn't have a vision or a unique angle he's bringing to the narrative, this is just the obligatory The characters weren't properly fleshed out, the story has no hook or originality to it. I almost fell asleep during the middle of the movie, and I never do that. Once they got to the beach I was constantly checking the time every ten minutes, I was ready for it to be over. This feels like Pirates 4 after Verbinski left, a corporate product designed to keep the brand alive and generate revenue, but lacking any creative soul.

I dread what Disney has in store for the future, and what Ball will do with Zelda.

I was nervous about how they would go about prolonging the franchise after the perfect ending of the Caesar Trilogy. But I really love the choices Ball made here. The transition from the post-apocalyptic style of Rise-War into this new epic medieval-fantasy style odyssey was a great evolution, and the world-building is fascinating to see expanded. The new ape actors absolutely live up to the legacy of Serkis and crew, while Freya Allan is easily the best human protagonist the franchise has seen.

I'm officially excited to see where it goes from here!

It doesn't exactly seem like a case of vocal minority to me. There are various people who didn't care much for the movie, both audience members and critics. It feels more like mostly positive, while flirting with the mixed side a bit.

That being said, CinemaScore is just one metric system and it only concerns the US. Civil War had a worse score and it still had very good legs in subsequent weeks. I think Kingdom is going to be a similar case because it mostly has a good word of mouth and many people love it enough to watch it again.

On this, I'll take the word of various trades reporting this same thing as they actually have access to these numbers.

Per the second, that is basically what they're saying - despite the visual optics of the score itself, the numbers behind it show - as you stated - most people liked it ergo mostly good word of mouth which (according to trades) accounts for the higher than expected Sunday.

On this, I'll take the word of various trades reporting this same thing as they actually have access to these numbers.

Per the second, that is basically what they're saying - despite the visual optics of the score itself, the numbers behind it show - as you stated - most people liked it ergo mostly good word of mouth which (according to trades) accounts for the higher than expected Sunday.
Yeah, CinemaScore is occasionally useful for determining GA-appeal for mass-market hits. It's laughably bad with anything else - Hereditary famously got a D+, only to be considered one of the greatest horror films of this century, and it still went on to make 8x it's production budget anyway.

But even for blockbusters, it's a strange system that can't really be reliably used for predictions. Current predictions are calling for a 55-60% drop, but as we saw Sunday, it's overperforming. Only time will tell how it actually holds up.

Yeah, CinemaScore is occasionally useful for determining GA-appeal for mass-market hits. It's laughably bad with anything else - Hereditary famously got a D+, only to be considered one of the greatest horror films of this century, and it still went on to make 8x it's production budget anyway.

But even for blockbusters, it's a strange system that can't really be reliably used for predictions. Current predictions are calling for a 55-60% drop, but as we saw Sunday, it's overperforming. Only time will tell how it actually holds up.

It can also be confusing due to statistics. It took me a while to figure out what the trades were saying (it leans towards a B+).

A B can be arrived at by a shared number of A's, B's, and C's or mostly B's with the A's and C's being of equal number or etc.

Thus, while a B isn't the greatest - it's on the better side of a B, leaning towards B + which is at least somewhat better than just a B or leaning towards B-. Which, granted is a spin, but (to sound like Spock) still statistically sound.

Just got back from seeing it.

I thought it was pretty good, even though it didn't pack the same punch as the Caesar trilogy. I'd rank it just below Rise.

I'd probably rank it higher had Raka stuck around a little longer. I really found myself missing him in the latter half of the movie. :csad:

All of the performances were great and the CGI was spectacular. It just makes me sad that this probably will be the fourth Apes movie in a row to lose the Best VFX Oscar because I can't see it taking it away from Dune 2.

Just got back from seeing it.

I thought it was pretty good, even though it didn't pack the same punch as the Caesar trilogy. I'd rank it just below Rise.

I'd probably rank it higher had Raka stuck around a little longer. I really found myself missing him in the latter half of the movie. :csad:

All of the performances were great and the CGI was spectacular. It just makes me sad that this probably will be the fourth Apes movie in a row to lose the Best VFX Oscar because I can't see it taking it away from Dune 2.

Check out what the end credits sound is.

Hoping it means something.

Check out what the end credits sound is.

Hoping it means something.
There was something similar in the post credits of Dawn where it sounded like Koba crawling out of the rubble. It gave me hope that he'd turn out to be alive for the third movie but it unfortunately didn't happen. Not that War wasn't great anyway, but something always seemed off about Koba's death in Dawn to me, like it was a little too ambiguous.

Last edited:
Yeah I have heard similar. Marketing budget isn't accounted for in the movie budget you see (afaik) and also cinemas keep part of the profit from tickets so a 200 million dollar movie has to make something like 400 (at least) to break even and you don't spend 200 million to break even so you want some return on that.

Domestic
208M - Dawn
180M - 2001
176M - Rise
146M - War
101M - Kingdom 🐒
32M - 1968
18M - Beneath
12M - Escape
9M - Conquest
8M - Battle

Worldwide
710M - Dawn
490M - War
481M - Rise
362M - 2001
237M - Kingdom 🙈

Domestic
208M - Dawn
180M - 2001
176M - Rise
146M - War
101M - Kingdom 🐒
32M - 1968
18M - Beneath
12M - Escape
9M - Conquest
8M - Battle

Worldwide
710M - Dawn
490M - War
481M - Rise
362M - 2001
237M - Kingdom 🙈

Right because matching totals with the second week makes perfect sense.

If you want people to take the second part seriously - give second week for all (not total lifetime gross) and what countries they were open in by that point in time.

Per drops:

Rise = 59%
Dawn = 62%
War = 73%

Thus, not only did it open higher than Rise and War - it also has the smallest drop out of all three films.

Last edited:
I hope they don't give up on the franchise. I was hoping that with a bit of a smaller budget this time around the decision for further sequels wouldn't hinge on the box office as much.

I hope they don't give up on the franchise. I was hoping that with a bit of a smaller budget this time around the decision for further sequels wouldn't hinge on the box office as much.

Um, why would they give up on a franchise that had the second highest opening and the smallest second week drop of all three films?

It was clear from the start to industry execs that Dawn was an outlier. Rise and War performed basically the exact same, establishing an easy to see pattern and forming expectations for Kingdom. If anything, Kingdom is currently exceeding those expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"