• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Action-Adventure Mad Max: Furiosa Spinoff

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched it.
My reaction in 3 gifs.

5uG.gif

880ee6afe0ec6eb0d2e896b906031564.gif

9A3JOEv.gif

Last edited:
Why did you not like it?
I feel like GM tried to reinvent the wheel with this, plus it’s clearly a C19 era film, plus the over reliance on CGI… It just didn’t work at all for me and I really tried to get into it. I wanted this to succeed and I wanted to like/love it but It was just not my cup of tea.

There’s plenty of people and outlets that like/love this film and the RT/Metacritic ratings are proof of just that and to those people that liked/loved it, more power to them… that’s just what I got to say about that.

Me personally, I felt disappointed and perplexed by much of it and just wished they made something I could appreciate. Maybe on another viewing I’ll warm up to it and see it in a different light but right now those where my 2 cents.

Rotten Tomatoes
86%
(97 reviews)
Average Rating: 8 out of 10
Fresh: 93
Rotten: 15
Metacritic = 80 (44 reviews)
37 positive / 6 mixed / 1 negative
2 more 100’s on Metacritic. 10 in total now.

100 from:
- Empire
- IGN
- The Independet
- Slashfilm
- The Telegraph
- NME
- Consequence
- Observer
- LarsenOnFilm
- The Seattle Times

I'm seeing it on Sunday. I've been pretty excited overall but my expectations plummeted when I watched the Bommy Knocker clip that WB uploaded on YouTube yesterday. It was only up a couple of hours before they removed it. The comment section was overwhelmingly negative in regards to the CGI/green screen and rightfully so. It was truly awful. Something has to change in the movie industry with these overworked visual effects companies being forced to meet short deadlines because it's causing CGI to get worse and worse instead of better. I would have been fine with WB delaying the film for an entire year just to improve those effects but I simply can't imagine them being willing to do that.

I feel like GM tried to reinvent the wheel with this, plus it’s clearly a C19 era film, plus the over reliance on CGI… It just didn’t work at all for me and I really tried to get into it. I wanted this to succeed and I wanted to like/love it but It was just not my cup of tea.

There’s plenty of people and outlets that like/love this film and the RT/Metacritic ratings are proof of just that and to those people that liked/loved it, more power to them… that’s just what I got to say about that.

Me personally, I felt disappointed and perplexed by much of it and just wished they made something I could appreciate. Maybe on another viewing I’ll warm up to it and see it in a different light but right now those where my 2 cents.

Oh wow. Sorry buddy I thought you'd love it.

Ok I’ll try and elaborate further on what I saw and how I feel, positive and negatives…

This film is like a fever dream. It’s brutal, chaotic and nonsensical punctuated with some of the cast really doing their best to keep this boat afloat. Some interesting, peculiar, inventive, brutal and shocking imagery sprinkled throughout. There’s way too much CGI. It’s definitely subversive/unpredictable and it’s constantly throwing curve balls.

CH, ATJ and Tom Burke did well with the material they got to work with. CH swung for the fences in this and it paid off, he gets lost in that role and one can easily forget it’s him portraying the character Dementus who is a maniacal, brutal, heartless and bat**** crazy character and honestly he makes Immortan look like a reasonable individual.

ATJ was pretty good for the most part until she visually becomes the Furiosa that we know of and it sort goes off the rails a bit. She sells the physicality and action well and one can see why people talk so highly of her, she has the eyes, looks and range to do a lot of things well.

Tom Burke was good and brought a serious demeanor to the whole thing. I liked they way he interacted with Furiosa and performed the action stuff.

Unfortunately a lot of the good stuff is undermined by a lack of a solid and downright good vision for the film and the lackluster execution of plenty of aspects which then undermine the overall product.

The structure is all over the place, some stuff is brushed over so quickly, it’s not cohesive, is very scattered… It’s just a mess.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it, you were clearly very excited about the film.

Can't wait for Thursday, I keep remembering how special seeing Fury Road was, opening night. I think that was a formative film in my transformation from someone who liked films to a full-blown cinephile. I'm never going to forget that experience, I hope I get even a slice of that with Furiosa.

I'm seeing it on Sunday. I've been pretty excited overall but my expectations plummeted when I watched the Bommy Knocker clip that WB uploaded on YouTube yesterday. It was only up a couple of hours before they removed it. The comment section was overwhelmingly negative in regards to the CGI/green screen and rightfully so. It was truly awful. Something has to change in the movie industry with these overworked visual effects companies being forced to meet short deadlines because it's causing CGI to get worse and worse instead of better. I would have been fine with WB delaying the film for an entire year just to improve those effects but I simply can't imagine them being willing to do that.
I do not think this is an issue of, "needing more time" when it comes to the CGI/green screen. It's simply the way the film was shot. Some do to budgetary reasons, others to make it easier film, others to achieve different shots.

The Bommy Knocker scene looks absolutely fine to me. Is it the best CGI or green screen work I've ever seen? No. But it totally gets the job done.

I do find the conversation about the "quality" of effects in a Mad Max movie interesting. Because outside of Fury Road, it's not a series known for high end effects work. Road Warrior is all mood.

Last edited:
Rewatched Fury Road yesterday, it still rules. Also I always forget it's only 2 hours long. It's a shame nothing in Furiosa so far has gotten me super excited for it visually.

1f02ccab7bc70a7c16ba8e2361fb12b0e8748b56.gif

Rotten Tomatoes
88%
(97 reviews)
Fresh: 105
Rotten: 15
38 positive / 6 mixed / 1 negative
100 from:

- Empire
- IGN
- The Independet
- Slashfilm
- The Telegraph
- NME
- Consequence
- Observer
- LarsenOnFilm
- The Seattle Times
As predicted before the RT rating has actually gone up.

After some time digesting the film here are the conclusions I took away from the experience.
Furiosa is NOT Fury Road. Even though i was sort of prepared for some of the changes and different approach they we're going to have i was not prepared for how much more different it actually was going to be.

Furiosa is a myth. It's prone to exaggeration as its passed down through generations or simply retold from different perspectives over and over again. It's a story with a ton of flourishes, it's very big in scope and ideas, it's chocking, raw and brutal. There's a dreamlike/nightmarish quality to it and it's very much like a fever dream.

I'm 100% willing to give this film another shot and i'm gonna rewatch it with adjusted hopes and expectations. I'll make use of Immortan Joe's words with a tweek of my own to get my point across.

“Do not, my friends, become addicted to Fury Road, It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence."

After some time digesting the film here are the conclusions I took away from the experience.
Furiosa is NOT Fury Road. Even though i was sort of prepared for some of the changes and different approach they we're going to have i was not prepared for how much more different it actually was going to be.

Furiosa is a myth. It's prone to exaggeration as its passed down through generations or simply retold from different perspectives over and over again. It's a story with a ton of flourishes, it's very big in scope and ideas, it's chocking, raw and brutal. There's a dreamlike/nightmarish quality to it and it's very much like a fever dream.

I'm 100% willing to give this film another shot and i'm gonna rewatch it with adjusted hopes and expectations. I'll make use of Immortan Joe's words with a tweek of my own to get my point across.

“Do not, my friends, become addicted to Fury Road, It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence."

There have been plenty of movies I didn't like at first but then gave them another chance and ended up loving them. Plenty of movies get better upon re-watch also. Hang in there buddy and see how you feel after another viewing, even if it's at home a few months down the line.

The idea of it being very different than Fury Road honestly excites me. I'm all for directors taking swings with sequels (or prequels in this case), and while it sometimes doesn't work, it's better than playing it safe. Seeing it tomorrow afternoon!

Rewatched Fury Road yesterday, it still rules. Also I always forget it's only 2 hours long. It's a shame nothing in Furiosa so far has gotten me super excited for it visually.

1f02ccab7bc70a7c16ba8e2361fb12b0e8748b56.gif
Dude FR is a masterpiece. Imo it’s arguably the best action movie of the 21st century and likely Top 5 action movies of all time. In no particular order my 5 main picks would probably be these and it would be in illustrious company.

- The Dark Knight
- Matrix
- Fury Road
- Terminator 2
- Aliens

I see some people try to retroactively call it overrated, that it lacks story, dialogue… I don’t agree with that whatsoever and while there are some shortcomings as with pretty much every movie, the peaks vastly outweigh the valleys. I just unabashedly love Fury Road.

Rotten Tomatoes
88%
(138 reviews)
Fresh: 121
Rotten: 17
38 positive / 6 mixed / 1 negative
100 from:

- Empire
- IGN
- The Independet