• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Official Green Lantern: "Emerald Knights" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread

Breogan

My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey
Reaction score
Nathan Fillion will be voicing Hal Jordan in the GL DTV talks Green Lantern and a Ryan Reynolds -
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Exclusiv...n-1028960.aspx

Filllon ---offered the voice role of DC Comics superhero Green Lantern in the DVD movie Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, due June 7 from Warner Bros. Animation. Emerald Knights is a series of vignettes about the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic police force. Fillion plays Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern of Earth's space sector, who mentors Arisia, a new recruit played by Mad Men's Elisabeth Moss.

120207mag-green-lantern1.jpg

First Image, Cast Details For "Green Lantern: Emerald Knights" Animated Feature - http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php/news.php?action=fullnews&id=961

Looks like they went with the same art style from First Flight.

http://worldsfinestonline.com/WF/dcuam/greenlanternek/01.jpg

Interesting that they went with fan favorite Fillion to play Jordan.
Jason Isaacs as Sinistro is great! Looks like they are following the English accent from the movie.

This DTV will also feature an original Abin Sur flashback story, to bad they couldn’t get Temuera Morrison. Although Arnold Vosloo is a great choice.

Cast :
Hal Jordan (Nathan Fillion)
Sinistro (Jason Isaacs)
Abin Sur (Arnold Vosloo)
Arisia, (Elezabeth Moss)
Kilowog, (Henry Rollins )
Bolphunga [the guy who hunts Mogo] (Roddy Piper)
Laira (Kelly Hu )
Deegan. (Wade Williams )
Guardian, Ganthet (Michael Jackson )

Last edited by a moderator:
From DC Universe: The Source - http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/02/10/green-lantern-emerald-knights-dc-direct-sinestro-statue-unveiled/

GREEN LANTERN: EMERALD KNIGHTS DVD SINESTRO MAQUETTE
SCULPTED BY ROBERT LYNDERS
SIX LEGENDARY GREEN LANTERNS. SIX INTERLOCKING STORIES.
ONE GROUNDBREAKING FILM. DISCOVER THE ORIGIN OF THE CORPS.
With stories by acclaimed writers including Geoff Johns, Alan Burnett and Dave Gibbons, this DC Universe Animated Original Movie explores the rich mythology of the Green Lantern universe through six interlocking chapters. While awaiting a battle with Krona, an ancient enemy of the Guardians of the Universe, Earth’s Green Lantern Hal Jordan, Kilowog, Sinestro and other members of the Green Lantern Corps recount their greatest adventures to new recruit Arisia – everything from tales of the first Lantern to the ominous events that led to the Corps’ Blackest Night! The power-packed voice cast includes Nathan Fillion, Elisabeth Moss, Jason Isaacs, Henry Rollins and Arnold Vosloo.
This hand-painted, cold-cast porcelain maquette of SINESTRO is based on art from the highly anticipated Warner Home Video made-for-DVD animated original movie GREEN LANTERN: EMERALD KNIGHTS which will be released on June 7, 2011.
Measuring approximately 11.6” high x 4.75” wide x 4” deep, the statue is packaged in a 4-color box.

emeral_knight_sin_maquette-240x300.jpg

Sweet looking maquete.

Stories by:
-Geoff Johns
-Alan Burnett
-Dave Gibbons

Awesome!

In the books Arisia’s first mission was in the epic Tales of the GL Corps that first introduced Nekron, it also featured the return of Krona and an army of dead, and was really one of the first huge battles featuring the entire Corps.
This looks like it borrows at least some themes from the original and some of the basic framing devices - the intro of Arisa as she joins and meets the Corps, origin flash backs to Hal, Abin Sur, the history of the Corps and finally Krona. It could lead to Nekron (who was first introduced in that story) and potentially an army of dead GLs- which judging form the quotes they are somewhat alluding to with Blackest Night, at least thematically and by name.

... While awaiting a battle with Krona, an ancient enemy of the Guardians of the Universe

...everything from tales of the first Lantern to the ominous events that led to the Corps’ Blackest Night!

If you haven’t read it already, you really should...
GreenLanternTOTGLCorps.jpg

From: Tales of the Green Lantern Coprs. - it's been reprinted here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/1401221556/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

Arisia’s first mission and appearance, she is given a sort of flash back tale when she meets Hal & the Corps - at least to Hal Jordan’s origin , and then to Krona’s and the history of the Guardans , the Corps etc… At this huge gathering with all the GLs we (and Arisia) are also for the first time introduced the Honor Guard.
All this right before Krona and an army of dead attack and decimates many in the Corps, destroying the Central Battery and leaving the survivors with only their last ring charge and 24 hrs. to save the universe.

It turns out Krona and his army of dead have been resurrected by Nekron (this was Nekron’s first appearance) hence the possible tie in to Blackest Night, at least in name and theme.

Inevitably while the others force Krona and his army of dead back, Jordan sacrifices himself to seal the rift between the dimension of the living and the dead, using the guiding spirit and will of all the past dead GL’s (this is probably how all the interlocking chapters come together in one unifying story) to defeat Nekron.

The now depleted and dying Hal Jordan is eventually guided out of the rift by the souls of Abin Sur and the past GLs. And he is returned to the living Corps survivors.
They go back victorious to Oa to rebuild, where Hal for his bravery becomes the first human given the mantle of the Honor Guard.

TalesGLCorps.gif

Although I’d love to see it done justice, it seems like Tales of the GL Corps is way to big of a story to tackle in just one vignette. I wonder how much they will refrance it? Or are they just making up their own version entirely?

Last edited:
Box art......

Images removed due to hotlink from CBM site

~~Morg

Last edited by a moderator:
just saw this and all i can say is i loved it, i hope for more stories about the corps, i loved the art style as well. i won't go into any further detail since it hasn't been seen by everyone yet.

I gotta say. This movie was awful. It's no secret that DC owns Marvel in the DTV market, and 99% of their movies have been amazing, but this one...wow. Just like "gotham knights" this movie bored me to tears from start to finish. The animation was solid, but seriously, Henry Rollins as Killowog? Terrible.

Nathan Fillon deserves to voice Hal in a sequel to "First Flight." Not some poor attempt to cash in on the movie. This was just awful.

they always change up the voice actors mostly because of scheduling, so i am used to hearing different people voice the same characters from movie to movie. but if you didn't like it that's cool, just wasn't your thing. i just hope we get more glc movies.

I do too. I loved "first flight" and would LOVE to see them make a movie based on the Sinestro Corps and Blackest Night arcs. This one just did not do it for me AT ALL. Killowog had absolutely NO weight to his voice at all. He sounded like some regular guy off the street. Same goes for the other aliens in the movie. Terrible casting.

Again, love the animation, but the stories were so boring. When it comes to GL, most people want to see Hal, Sinestro, etc. Not one off stories that don't go anywhere. I get what they're trying to do, but in my opinion, they failed miserably.

Go back to what works. The characters/stories we want to see adapted into movies.

yeah i would love to see a movie about the sinestro corps war, its my favorite of the new gl stuff that was told. i also really like seeing the various aliens and different members of the corps. i like to see how they wield the gl power. i like the variety, but yea if you are just into hal and sinestro then i can see why you didn't like it. for me though i really like the glc more than any one lantern. i like stories about any member of the glc.

i thought it was ok but it was nowhere near as good as first flight
would of been better if they continued the story on

I preferred it to First Flight. I enjoyed all the little stories.

To prep for the upcoming live action Green lantern movies I decided to re watch the 2 recent DC Animated GL movies.

I still like First Flight better but EK has grown on me a bit more. I love that GL theme in FF. I think my favorite segment in EK may be the one with Abin Sur.

On think I also wanted to do was compare the two movies: FF vs EK. When I first saw the art from the EK film months ago I was hoping it was a sequel to FF. But its in its own continuity. I have a feeling they reused some of the model designs from FF to save time so the EK film could be ready to debut just before the Martin Campbell GL film; somewhat similar to the situation with Brainiac Attacks (only EK turned out much better than Brainiac attacks).

I'm not one of those people that NEEDS EK to be in continuity with FF but it would have been cool and could have been done with some minor changes to EK's use of characters. With bit of geekery that said they're still both good movies.

I thought Henry Rollins(and I love the guy) was miscast as Kilowog. Madsen was better in First Flight.

I agree.

I also missed Victor Garber from First Flight as Sinestro and preferred him over EK's Jason Issacs but Issacs is good. But I think I liked Arnold Vosloo more as Abin Sur.

This was great. The short stories all tied together and this was fun to watch.

I agree with Rollins being miscast as Kilowog, his voice was sounding off.

The fighting scenes were excellent. The progression of showcasing fights in animation surprises me, and there are moments where it's better than those in live-action.

Just got around to checking this out and really enjoyed it. The creators really delved into the mythos of the Corps, at least enough for a handful of interconnected stories. I wish the film had done as much in that regard.

I believe I still prefer First Flight, but I should get around to adding this to the library at some point.

As much as I think both Kilowog and Henry Rollins are badasses, that just wasn't a good match. Glad to see that just wasn't me.

Perfectly enjoyable film... but I always prefer the focus to be on Hal Jordan.

Certainly didn't surpass First Flight for me.

I thought this movie was absolutely amazing. From beginning to end. The overall story was better handled than First Flight IMO, a lot better. Some stories were a bit weaker but enjoyable nonetheless. I found far better than most comicbook movies these days. And the big plus in my book (added to the absolutely stunning designs and the great stories) was thea-ma-zing animation! :up:
In fact I really would not mind a second film about different aspects of the corps with elements like the Red lanterns or Larfleeze, just to continue what they are doing, the way they are doing it, just taking other elements inthe serie.
Top-notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"