• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Part III (Spoiler Thread)

I'm sad that when we finally got Vader it didn't work for me.

First of all they shouldn't have had an actual confrontation since the language of ANH clearly has Anakin as the learner to Obi-Wan when they last met, although I can get over that part since Star Wars contradicting itself isn't anything new. Still it would have been far better if Vader was just the scary force that feels like certain death and the protagonists always barely escape a confrontation. That would make it mean even more when Obi-Wan decides to confront Vader on the Death Star.

What really didn't work for me was how Vader could lift Obi-Wan with the Force and easily do what he wanted with him, and he could put out the fire that he dragged Obi-Wan through. Then when the woman shoots one stormtrooper and reignites the fire Vader just stands there and watches a droid slowly come and carry Obi-Wan off. He could clearly have easily captured Obi-Wan by doing any of his previous two actions again but he just watches and then walks off.

I really hope they have a way to make that make any sort of sense in hindsight since as it stands it was utterly nonsensical.

The timeline of Reva beating Leia to the end of the tunnel also felt like it made no sense.

Other than that Ewan keeps being great as Obi-Wan and Reva is still too dull to be a main antagonist. This episode had a lot more negative to it than the other two but I'm willing to try to put it behind me for now and hopefully I'll enjoy the coming episodes.

What really didn't work for me was how Vader could lift Obi-Wan with the Force and easily do what he wanted with him, and he could put out the fire that he dragged Obi-Wan through. Then when the woman shoots one stormtrooper and reignites the fire Vader just stands there and watches a droid slowly come and carry Obi-Wan off. He could clearly have easily captured Obi-Wan by doing any of his previous two actions again but he just watches and then walks off.

Honestly, this is literally the least thing that bothered me on this.
I saw this as Anakin being sure that he will eventually catch up to Obi-Wan after all this years of not knowing if he was dead or where he was.

Now he knows he is alive, knows he is close to him and will enjoy every second of Obi-Wan suffering on many levels.
Knowing that Anakin is after him, that he is stronger now than Obi-Wan and that no help will be strong enough to keep Obi-Wan from getting what Anakin thinks he deserves.

I hope Quinlan and Obi team up and go rescue Princess Leia from the evil sorcerer's castle in the lake of lava.

. . . I mean, that would probably be a little weird, in terms of canon and future events. . . but you know what? I'd be down for it. Also, I just love Vader's Mustafar stronghold, both on a visual and thematic level.

Anyway, I know a bunch of people have been complaining about Reva being one-note, and wondering when she will get to be sympathetic. My own suspicion, though, is that this is never really going to happen, and its intentional. Reva's role ultimately isn't to be a villain you feel sympathetic towards, but to be a dire warning- she ( presumably ) used to be a Jedi youngling, she fell into the hands of the Empire, and now the tortures and indoctrination of the Sith and the Dark Side have turned her into a monster. She is a living icon of what happens to innocents who fall into the hands of the Empire, and why its really really important to keep that from happening to any other Force sensitive children, specifically Leia in this context.

( As an aside, the Inquisitors being so bad at collaboration makes perfect sense to me. Not only are they wholly turned to the Dark Side, in many cases after torture and abuse as children, but the people designing their indoctrination? Palpatine and *maybe* Vader. It is frankly impressive enough that they function as an organization at all, as opposed to having long since murdered each other. )

Best scene of the series so far. Vader massacring the street and Obi-Wan's "He's coming, Master" (the meditation/Vader assembling scene) following.

EDIT: For what it's worth, this was the scene where Obi-Wan describes what he remembers of his family to Leia.

I would definitely agree that both those scenes were highpoints. I mean, sure, I can see arguments about the plot logic of the Vader/Obi-Wan fight or that it takes place in a quarry, but. . . . on a thematic level, that whole scene just worked.

Edit 2: I need someone to ask Deborah if she was trying to make a joke when she had Vader try to burn Obi by lighting sand on fire. :hehe: That was some top shelf meme humor right there.

Vader: "Don't you just hate sand. It gets everywhere, especially when its on fire."

*ducks*

I want to see Vader in the Bacta tank, having ptsd and flashbacks to killing the younglings

I mean, logically a Darth Vader show/movie/whatever *should* be one third stuff like that, if you are bothering to do it right.

( The other thirds would be "Terrifying force of unstoppable evil" and "Oddly humanizing look into the lives of those in his orbit who he *doesn't* hate" )

I was confused as to why Vader let Obi-Wan escape at the end. Surely a little bit of fire wouldn't stop him from getting to his greatest living rival. I'm hoping there's a motivated character reason for it and it isn't just a plot contrivance, but the show so far has not instilled in me that much confidence.

My theory right now is a combination of "I want to continue crushing his hope, and he is still trapped on the planet with me", along with "He just got help from other parties, I will prioritize tracking down them".

ff464a35e3b37f762ef471629c55454761c843ad.gifv

aa82d329adda2b8d3810f136e8b2ef3f1cf0a8f8.gifv

I was kind of hoping to see some backstory on Kenobi. Maybe while he is meditating he thinks back to his training under Qui-Gon Jinn. Then he could think back to how he trained Anakin. We could get some unseen things that in hindsight would look different now to Kenobi.

I'm sad that when we finally got Vader it didn't work for me.

First of all they shouldn't have had an actual confrontation since the language of ANH clearly has Anakin as the learner to Obi-Wan when they last met, although I can get over that part since Star Wars contradicting itself isn't anything new. Still it would have been far better if Vader was just the scary force that feels like certain death and the protagonists always barely escape a confrontation. That would make it mean even more when Obi-Wan decides to confront Vader on the Death Star.

This is becoming the show's biggest problem with fans and it shouldn't be. It was never said that they wouldn't see each other again until ANH. Again, watch ROTJ. Lucas and Marquand set it up there. There was a meeting before ANH where Obi-Wan tried to save Vader. Not the Mustafar meeting where he was trying to save the Jedi Order by killing Vader.

I was kind of hoping to see some backstory on Kenobi. Maybe while he is meditating he thinks back to his training under Qui-Gon Jinn. Then he could think back to how he trained Anakin. We could get some unseen things that in hindsight would look different now to Kenobi.

I really hope this happens.

For all the fan service, you think they’d have a flashback to the Clone Wars with Anakin and Obi-Wan as “brothers”. Also, it would let Hayden actually show himself fully lol you’ve got the two of them looking relatively the same, they could do it and people would go nuts!

This is becoming the show's biggest problem with fans and it shouldn't be. It was never said that they wouldn't see each other again until ANH. Again, watch ROTJ. Lucas and Marquand set it up there. There was a meeting before ANH where Obi-Wan tried to save Vader. Not the Mustafar meeting where he was trying to save the Jedi Order by killing Vader.

In ANH Vader is clearly saying that last they met Vader was but the learner and the circle is finally complete as they face again with him now being the master. The only way they could meet in between again, with the ANH line still working, is if Vader is not powerful enough to be called the master at that point either, but he's obviously way above Obi-Wan in this episode and as strong in the dark side as we've ever seen. Hence that event of closing their circle with Vader finally being the master has already happened in this show, many years before ANH.

Since RotJ was way before Lucas wrote the prequels it's far more likely that Vader's line there refers to that he imagined that Obi-Wan tried to save Anakin when he turned dark, but failed. That works perfectly with the line in ANH, while the show's version doesn't. That Lucas ended up writing the confrontation differently in the prequels just goes in line with all the other times he made them inconsistent with the OT , as continuity clearly wasn't among his main concerns and thus the PT is useless as a tool to derive what Lucas thought while making the OT.

Lucas just clearly changed his mind about a lot of things over the years, hence a few of the changes we see in the Special Editions have nothing to do with previous technical limitations and him just changing stuff for the hell of it. Unfortunately those changes just made things worse.

I mean, never forget that Ewan was the one that had to remind Lucas that Obi-wan has to steal Anakin's saber.

In ANH Vader is clearly saying that last they met Vader was but the learner and the circle is finally complete as they face again with him now being the master. The only way they could meet in between again, with the ANH line still working, is if Vader is not powerful enough to be called the master at that point either, but he's obviously way above Obi-Wan in this episode and as strong in the dark side as we've ever seen.

Vader isn't stronger than Obi-Wan in the show. Obi-Wan is cutoff from the Force still in Episode 3. Once he reacquaints himself with The Force we'll see the "Rematch of the Century" McGregor promised. Vader is VERY strong now, yes. Once Obi-Wan gets his power back, Vader won't be throwing him around like a ragdoll. And since we know Obi-Wan will survive the rematch you can continue to say Vader remains but the learner and still not the master.

McGregor, Chow and the people at Lucasfilm wouldn't have gone forward with this show if it directly contradicted the Star Wars canon Lucas established. They're just filling in the gaps. 19 years is the biggest gap in between episodes so this story always made sense to me vs just having Obi-Wan sitting on his ass on Tattooine for almost two decades.

Honestly, nothing frustrates me up more than that terrible overhead shot of Anakin in ROTS getting the suit on and his mouth/lips are not down onto the harmonica-looking mouth piece.

This show at least didn't mess that up.

Vader isn't stronger than Obi-Wan in the show. Obi-Wan is cutoff from the Force still in Episode 3. Once he reacquaints himself with The Force we'll see the "Rematch of the Century" McGregor promised. Vader is VERY strong now, yes. Once Obi-Wan gets his power back, Vader won't be throwing him around like a ragdoll. And since we know Obi-Wan will survive the rematch you can continue to say Vader remains but the learner and still not the master.

McGregor, Chow and the people at Lucasfilm wouldn't have gone forward with this show if it directly contradicted the Star Wars canon Lucas established. They're just filling in the gaps. 19 years is the biggest gap in between episodes so this story always made sense to me vs just having Obi-Wan sitting on his ass on Tattooine for almost two decades.

It just feels like bending over backwards to try to make it fit. If Vader and Obi-Wan have a close fight it makes no sense for Vader to look at that as him being "but the learner" since they are clearly at least equals unless Obi-Wan flat out defeats him and makes him seem clearly inferior (which he already couldn't do until the terribly contrived "high ground"). It didn't make much sense in RotS either but at least there you can hang on to the bare thread technicality of Anakin having a lower rank in the Jedi Order, even though Obi-Wan says outright that Anakin is at that point already more powerful than he will ever be.

Lucasfilm has already contradicted things with their new films, as well as actively diminished the OT by rehashing the same conflicts and making sure that things like Anakin's sacrifice didn't mean much more than a few years of calm. Why would they automatically be different this time around? They also don't have to contradict things on purpose, they could just do a poor job like George Lucas did in the prequels. It's not like the ending to this last confrontation makes any sense at all (yet).

It just feels like bending over backwards to try to make it fit. If Vader and Obi-Wan have a close fight it makes no sense for Vader to look at that as him being "but the learner" since they are clearly at least equals unless Obi-Wan flat out defeats him and makes him seem clearly inferior (which he already couldn't do until the terribly contrived "high ground"). It didn't make much sense in RotS either but at least there you can hang on to the bare thread technicality of Anakin having a lower rank in the Jedi Order, even though Obi-Wan says outright that Anakin is at that point already more powerful than he will ever be.

Lucasfilm has already contradicted things with their new films, as well as actively diminished the OT by rehashing the same conflicts and making sure that things like Anakin's sacrifice didn't mean much more than a few years of calm. Why would they automatically be different this time around? They also don't have to contradict things on purpose, they could just do a poor job like George Lucas did in the prequels. It's not like the ending to this last confrontation makes any sense at all (yet).

I mean, you could just see it as Vader talking ****.

See: "My powers have doubled since last time we met".

I mean, you could just see it as Vader talking ****.

See: "My powers have doubled since last time we met".
Also, notice how Obi-Wan talks to Vader in ANH: "Only a master of evil, Darth."

It never sat well with me that after slicing off his three remaining limbs and leaving him to cook in the river of lava, he'd be a prick to him and mock his "Darth" title.

The reaction he had in the show to facing Vader was PERFECT. "Look what you have become." with nothing but conflict in his speech. Not antipathy.

Obi-Wan regrets what he did to his best friend in this show. In ANH he's over it because he sees the bigger picture. He knows Vader is "more machine now than man. Twisted and evil."

I really hope this happens.

For all the fan service, you think they’d have a flashback to the Clone Wars with Anakin and Obi-Wan as “brothers”. Also, it would let Hayden actually show himself fully lol you’ve got the two of them looking relatively the same, they could do it and people would go nuts!
I wouldn't mind a flashback to the clone wars animated costumes in live action.

Reva tells Grand Inquisitor that Kenobi has a connection to Bail Organa, so she used Leia to draw Obi-Wan out. This asks a fairly large question that I'm not convinced this show will resolve:

How come no one else tries this in the years after this, since it clearly works? It got Obi-Wan out of hiding. Vader still seems to think Obi-Wan is alive in Rebels. How come he or anyone else hasn't tried this, since then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"