• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Justice League Stopping a Dc shared Continuity from interfering with Solo movie.

One advantage JLA will have vs. Avengers is the lack of focus on the magic argument.

Given that Diana isn't getting a solo film until after JL, and her rogues gallery is unlikely to take center stage in a team movie the way Loki did in Avengers, WB will be able to skate by without really addressing magic in a science fiction world.

My idea for a DC movieverse is to do the exact opposite of what Marvel did. Marvel foreshadowed and set up The Avengers since Iron Man 1. There were constant references, constant characters from other Marvel titles showing up in an independent superhero's movie (Black Widow in IM2, Hawkeye in Thor), and constant plot tie-ins (Fantasy of Thor leads into the Cube in Captain America, which leads into The Avengers). For DC, don't do any of that. Have every character in his own film franchise doing his own little thing with no to very little connection that would show these films take place in the same universe. Either that or throw small easter eggs every now and then - such as a Daily Planet article in the background titled "Mysterious monster-bat creature strikes Gotham" or something like that. Then when the JL movie is released, have all the heroes come together but instead of them being brought together by a government organization like how the Avengers were, have them come together by themselves after the government and army fails to stop whatever threat the planet faces. That way, they can do a DC movie continuity without seeming too much like Marvel. Plus, it wouldn't be good to have too many cameos and crossovers in a DC universe to begin with because the Marvel universe was naturally made that way while DC wasn't.

Also, off topic but I want to see the original 7 in the JL movie :D.

I really really would prefer isolated films for the more prominent members of the league. But, if a Justice League film is on the way, well the original 7 roster would work great. And please, don't substitute Martian Manhunter for Cyborg.

My idea for a DC movieverse is to do the exact opposite of what Marvel did. Marvel foreshadowed and set up The Avengers since Iron Man 1. There were constant references, constant characters from other Marvel titles showing up in an independent superhero's movie (Black Widow in IM2, Hawkeye in Thor), and constant plot tie-ins (Fantasy of Thor leads into the Cube in Captain America, which leads into The Avengers). For DC, don't do any of that. Have every character in his own film franchise doing his own little thing with no to very little connection that would show these films take place in the same universe. Either that or throw small easter eggs every now and then - such as a Daily Planet article in the background titled "Mysterious monster-bat creature strikes Gotham" or something like that. Then when the JL movie is released, have all the heroes come together but instead of them being brought together by a government organization like how the Avengers were, have them come together by themselves after the government and army fails to stop whatever threat the planet faces. That way, they can do a DC movie continuity without seeming too much like Marvel. Plus, it wouldn't be good to have too many cameos and crossovers in a DC universe to begin with because the Marvel universe was naturally made that way while DC wasn't.

Also, off topic but I want to see the original 7 in the JL movie :D.
I agree with everything you said about how to handle the shared universe. This is exactly how it should be done.

Im not big on the original 7 for the first movie though. Just me. I'm one of those people who haven't been won over by Martian Manhunter yet, and won't until he impresses me in a movie. But everything else is right on
icon14.gif

Comics are comics. Some story elements change when comic book characters are adapted to movies for wider range of audience, as not everyone has read or reads the comics.

That being said, you could look at the DC universe already established, with the first modern day (and thats bold for a reason!!!) hero to be Batman. That doesn't mean the worlds first Superhero is not Kal-El, as Batman technically isn't a superhero.

And where was Kal-El when Gotham was being overtaken by Joker or Bane? Wherever he is hitchhiking in the teaser trailer for the MoS. (Its obvious he is doing some soul searching). Its also unclear if he knows how to fly at that point too.

Wonder Woman is in the Themyscira and Aquaman is in Atlantis. The Martian is hiding amoung humans disguised as one. Why don't Batman or Superman know about them? Should they at this point, i mean Atlantis and the Themyscira are hidden, and the Martian is hiding.

The real creativity would be introducing the Flash. I personally think Green Lantern should be left out, as i don't think the world is ready to accept him after what Ryan Reynolds did. That being said, you could leave the Flash out too. Yes they are part of the original 7, but you could introduce them later if the movie is successful.

Now that isn't too hard is it... Oh and Wonder Woman and Aquaman could also get there own spin offs if the movie is successful. This could be done straight after the MoS depending on how it turns out. And even with the Dark Knight and MoS sharing the same universe, Superman would still be the first Superhero.

I'm one of those people who haven't been won over by Martian Manhunter yet, and won't until he impresses me in a movie. But everything else is right on
icon14.gif

Have you seen the animated film Justice League: The New Frontier? To me, it helped me understand the importance of the Martian. I took wasn't a true believer in the Martian (Even after DC's epic animated series of the Justice League), but after watching this it gave me a better idea of who he is and the feel of his character. :yay:

Comics are comics. Some story elements change when comic book characters are adapted to movies for wider range of audience, as not everyone has read or reads the comics.

That being said, you could look at the DC universe already established, with the first modern day (and thats bold for a reason!!!) hero to be Batman. That doesn't mean the worlds first Superhero is not Kal-El, as Batman technically isn't a superhero.

And where was Kal-El when Gotham was being overtaken by Joker or Bane? Wherever he is hitchhiking in the teaser trailer for the MoS. (Its obvious he is doing some soul searching). Its also unclear if he knows how to fly at that point too.

Now that isn't too hard is it... Oh and Wonder Woman and Aquaman could also get there own spin offs if the movie is successful. This could be done straight after the MoS depending on how it turns out. And even with the Dark Knight and MoS sharing the same universe, Superman would still be the first Superhero.

Christopher Nolan's Batman will have absolutely no ties to the Justice League franchise. It's finished entirely. Christian Bale said he would return to play Batman again if Nolan were behind it. Nolan has gone on record saying he will make no more superhero films.

A reboot was planned for 2015, but it is likely they will halt it in order to focus on Justice League.

Wonder Woman is in the Themyscira and Aquaman is in Atlantis. The Martian is hiding amoung humans disguised as one. Why don't Batman or Superman know about them? Should they at this point, i mean Atlantis and the Themyscira are hidden, and the Martian is hiding.

The real creativity would be introducing the Flash. I personally think Green Lantern should be left out, as i don't think the world is ready to accept him after what Ryan Reynolds did. That being said, you could leave the Flash out too. Yes they are part of the original 7, but you could introduce them later if the movie is successful.

Technically, Batman would fall under the definition of a superhero but that is a topic for another thread and I totally get what you're trying to say in this particular topic. Regardless of that, there are 2 main problems with that idea for the shared continuity:
1) No matter what happens - whether the movie sucks or not, whether the characters are portrayed well or not, whether they do or don't use Barry and/or Hal for the Flash and GL respectively, whether the movie takes place before or after the solo films - there is no way Warner Bros will allow the first JL movie to be done without Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern being in the film. Those characters are way too iconic members of the league and DC's biggest & best-selling characters (along with Aquaman, who is just a little bit behind). Flash and GL will definitely be there even if they don't use Barry and Hal.
2) Nolan's Bat trilogy is set in its own grounded-in-reality universe and is fully complete so it won't cross with Man of Steel or any future films. Had Nolan's Batman been less realistic from the start and would have ended in a different way, that might have happened but...yeah. Won't work out at this point.

Other than that, I love the way you envisioned the timeline for the DC movieverse. I always envisioned the timeline in the DC comics to be exactly the same. The DCAU's timeline was the same too minus the pre-modern stuff with the JSA, which didn't exist in that universe. First you had the Golden Age of superheroes with the JSA in the 1930's/40's/50's followed by period in which superheroes are absent. Decades later, Batman appears in Gotham a bit earlier than before Superman appears in Metropolis but the reason this doesn't bring the superhero era back is because Batman doesn't have powers and is thought to be more of a mythical monster than a superhero/vigilante. Then Superman appears not too long after Batman and gives birth to the modern age of superheroes. All other superheroes come right after that. A few years later is when superhero teams like the JL and the Teen Titans are formed. And then everything else that takes place in the future (Legion of Superheroes, Batman Beyond, etc.) follows long after that.

It would have been nice to do the DC movieverse that way but Man of Steel is coming out next year and by the time the Batman reboot comes out (in 3 - 5 years), there will probably be another DC superhero film being released or soon to be released. You can still do the timeline like that by having the Batman reboot set before MoS but it would have been awesome if you could have watched the events in the DC movieverse as they happened in order just like in the DCAU (minus Batman Beyond) :(.

I have already outlined the problems in my 1st post

It was for creative reasons.For example The creators said Thor had to be a scifi film to fit the same shared universe with Ironman and co.It had nothing to do with bugdget.

Didn't you know that the Nazi's were waist deep in the occult. The gods references in Captain America weren't out of place. :huh:

Nazi and the occult
[YT]up2A8JzD2WY[/YT]

Karl Maria Wiligut thought that he was a descendant of Thor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Maria_Wiligut

Actually it would be less lacking.For example if they had gone the fantasy route,we would have a shapeshifting loki with a varety of magicalpowers instead of what we got-a Loki who can only do a few illusion tricks.
By going sci fi they cldnt fullu utilize thepotential of the source material.Dont get me wrong Thor wasnt bad-I felt it wld have been better without the neutering

That had more to do with money and resources. Thor 2 will have tons of fantasy and magic mixed with Sci-fi just like the comics.
thor209e.jpg

A lot of elements mix together in the comic. I don't get the big deal when people get upset by some of the mythos crossing over in the solo movies when they actually cross over in the comics. Like the fact that Tomar-Re tried to prevent Krypton from exploding but he fail in his task. The Green Lantern corps also prevented baby Kal-El from being captured by the Man Hunters during his journey to earth.
http://www.dcuguide.com/glcorps/profile.php?name=tomarre
Superman #257
TOMAR-RE_krypton_062111_zps48907679.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back