• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Report: Rangers-Isles at Yankee Stadium? TSN.ca
6/28/2006 12:49:44 PM

New York Newsday reports that the National Hockey League met last week with the New York Yankees, Rangers, Islanders, city officials and NBC to discuss the possibility of a Rangers-Islanders game at Yankee Stadium next season.

If approved, the game - a longshot at best - would take place on Jan. 1, according to several Newsday sources.

"Everybody likes the idea," a source told the paper. "But there are some obstacles. The question is whether the stadium will be usable at that time of year for that purpose."

The NHL staged its only outdoor game on Nov. 22, 2003, the Heritage Classic between the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens at Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium.

More than 56,000 fans were in attendance to watch Wayne Gretzky suit up in the Oilers-Canadiens alumni game, and a 4-3 Montreal Canadiens victory over Edmonton in a regular season matchup.

"A request has been made to use the stadium for an NHL game in the 2006-2007 season," Yankees spokesman Rick Cerrone confirmed to Newsday. "The matter is under discussion."

According to the paper, one NHL team executive said that dates in December also had been presented. NBC, which will be televising NFL games on Sunday night this season, is said to be seeking New Year's Day.

While the Stadium stands as a shrine to baseball in the summer, the logistics of holding an event there in the winter may stand in the way. The plumbing and water pipes, which would be an intergral factor in creating and maintaining the ice surface, is very old and would require a lot of maintenance.

I went to the outdoor game in Edmonton; the most fun you could have in minus -30 celsius weather for seven or so hours. I know in the States that ESPN showed the game a week later. They should get a Bruins vs Rangers game instead of a Islanders/Rangers game. I know there is a rivalry with NYI, but if its in Yankee Staduim you can continue the Boston/New York one. Plus the could have alumni from the Boston teams of the late 80s/early 90s vs the early 90s Rangers (even add Gretzky). It would seem like a better fit if they played in a football staduim like they did in Edmonton, but of course that's in New Jersey. The outdoor game was amazing, more fans should be able to expierence their feet being frozen and stuck in a human river of parkas and snowpants in the concession area.

The Bruins signed both Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard today. I am quite pleased... it actually seems as though the Jackass Jacobs (Bruins owner) is going to shell out some money. They are going to be paying Chara about $7.5 million a year I believe and they will pay Savard about $5 million a year. I'm just really pleased that we didn't go out and sign old players again.

Nooooo, Savard :(

Atlanta re-signs Scott Mellanby, and signs goalie Johan Hedberg from Dallas.

Never got to see him play in person but after watching TSN's 10 Ten Moments I'm lucky to have watched most on television. The posterboy of over coming injuries and/or playing in pain and a rarity in present day sports; a great leader who stays with the team that drafted him. 22 years.

Edmonton didn't get all that much for Pronger. They did alright I suppose. Lupul is decent.

Slipknot said:
Edmonton didn't get all that much for Pronger. They did alright I suppose. Lupul is decent.

With them most likely losing Samsamov, Spacek and Peca there is very little hope for Edmonton to make the playoffs again. Of course Colorado probably has done the worst job in the offseason so the Oil might make third in the division.
What do the Avs fans think? See how these draft picks turn out in four to five years. Look what Ottawa did when they traded Yashin. They got Spezza(draft pick) and Chara (matured into what he is today; greedy giant that comes on goes come playoff time).

But the Anahiem Ducks may very well be Cup contenders. I don't know about Jay Feaster in Tampa; Marc Denis as his starting goalie? Detroit has let Huet and Gerber be signed by other teams, they either have to make a trade with Anahiem or San Jose or try one season with Osgood and Belfour.

slinger said:
Look what Ottawa did when they traded Yashin. They got Spezza(draft pick) and Chara (matured into what he is today; greedy giant that comes on goes come playoff time).
Hahaha, you seem bitter. Are you a Senators fan? A couple of pissed Ottawa fans came into the Bruins messageboard over at ESPN and said the same thing you said. Chara might be greedy... but there was a team that offered him more money, but he wanted to sign with an original six team... and I guess he liked the city. I am just very happy... whether Chara is known for being bad in the playoffs or not. We needed to improve our team badly and we did by picking up one of the elite players on the free agent market. We also got Savard who could revive Glenn Murray this year... he needs a good passer. Brendan Shanahan might sign with the Bruins too I guess. I am very surprised and pleased that the Bruins are actually spending money and going after players. Also... we aren't really going after old players like we did last year (excluding Shanahan if we do sign him). The oldest player on our team is like 32 or something. Atleast I can say that the future seems pretty good for the Bruins now.

7.5 million for Chara sounds a bit steep though. Couldn't that have kept that money to keep Thornton instead?

And yeah, call me extremely disappointed over this whole Pronger trade. Lupul is a pretty good player in his own right. But honestly, our defense has extremely downgraded now. Unless Oilers trade for a defensemen before the season starts, I don't know about their playoff chances :(

Eric Draven said:
7.5 million for Chara sounds a bit steep though. Couldn't that have kept that money to keep Thornton instead?
Well... Mike O'Connell (MOC, as they call him) didn't trade Thornton because of money issues. The dumbasses basically blamed our failure on him, and only him... so O'Connell shipped him out. EVERYONE in Boston knows it was a horrible move shipping Thornton off... but that's over and done with and we have to deal with that now. They fired O'Connell and sent him packing for his moronic signings and moves in general. Chara was actually offered more money by a Western Conference team I guess. It is a lot of money... but it's worth it for a defenseman like him in my opinion. Our interim GM Jeff Gorton is doing better than O'Connell ever could and Peter Chiarelli is taking over the job officially come mid July. He was a big factor in signing Chara, although Chiarelli "officially" couldn't get involved in any of those deals because he is still under Ottawa's control until mid July. We fired Sullivan and hired a much better coach in Dave Lewis, so that's good. I think we have a pretty good future right now.

Slipknot said:

It was the best that could be done considering that situation.

slinger said:
With them most likely losing Samsamov, Spacek and Peca there is very little hope for Edmonton to make the playoffs again. Of course Colorado probably has done the worst job in the offseason so the Oil might make third in the division.
What do the Avs fans think? See how these draft picks turn out in four to five years. Look what Ottawa did when they traded Yashin. They got Spezza(draft pick) and Chara (matured into what he is today; greedy giant that comes on goes come playoff time).

But the Anahiem Ducks may very well be Cup contenders. I don't know about Jay Feaster in Tampa; Marc Denis as his starting goalie? Detroit has let Huet and Gerber be signed by other teams, they either have to make a trade with Anahiem or San Jose or try one season with Osgood and Belfour.

Don't count Edmonton out yet, they have a few up and comers who are proving their worth in the WHL.

Their defense is just looking a bit bare at the moment - Smith, Staios, Bergeron :-)down ), Greene, Syvret, and now Smid. I hope they get Spacek signed soon as well. But even then, I dunno...:(

Eric Draven said:
Their defense is just looking a bit bare at the moment - Smith, Staios, Bergeron :-)down ), Greene, Syvret, and now Smid. I hope they get Spacek signed soon as well. But even then, I dunno...:(
Atleast you guys aren't like Toronto... they went out and got Hal Gill to strengthen their line. They'll be wishing that they never went after him...

Thrashers sign Steve Rucchin from the NY Rangers.

Slipknot said:
Hahaha, you seem bitter. Are you a Senators fan? A couple of pissed Ottawa fans came into the Bruins messageboard over at ESPN and said the same thing you said. Chara might be greedy... but there was a team that offered him more money, but he wanted to sign with an original six team... and I guess he liked the city. I am just very happy... whether Chara is known for being bad in the playoffs or not. We needed to improve our team badly and we did by picking up one of the elite players on the free agent market. We also got Savard who could revive Glenn Murray this year... he needs a good passer. Brendan Shanahan might sign with the Bruins too I guess. I am very surprised and pleased that the Bruins are actually spending money and going after players. Also... we aren't really going after old players like we did last year (excluding Shanahan if we do sign him). The oldest player on our team is like 32 or something. Atleast I can say that the future seems pretty good for the Bruins now.

There is a rumour that Shanny and Dave Lewis didn't get along so we'll see how things go. Chara is from Slovakia; maybe in the off season he's been to Boston. It is a business but when you see a player go from the team that finished first in the east to one that was at the bottom and outside Pittsburgh and St.Louis was the biggest mess. But they seem to have some people now that are trying and the team is younger.

slinger said:
There is a rumour that Shanny and Dave Lewis didn't get along so we'll see how things go.
There is... but I believe TSN reported that they didn't believe there was any truth to the rumor... but who knows.
slinger said:
Chara is from Slovakia; maybe in the off season he's been to Boston.
Yep, he has... from what I read.
slinger said:
It is a business but when you see a player go from the team that finished first in the east to one that was at the bottom and outside Pittsburgh and St.Louis was the biggest mess.
Ottawa did great in the regular season... but they didn't do very well against Boston from what I can remember. I think they may have even lost the season series between them. For as bad as Boston was last year... they still had Ottawa's number for some odd reason. Ottawa always seems to do great in the regular season but fail in the playoffs... same thing with the Bruins over the past decade it seems.
slinger said:
But they seem to have some people now that are trying and the team is younger.
Yeah, I like the new managment and their moves so far. So much better than last year. I hated it when they went after all old players like Zhamnov, Fitzgerald, and Leetch. The Bruins now have a core of younger players that should definitely help the in the future.

Slipknot said:
There is... but I believe TSN reported that they didn't believe there was any truth to the rumor... but who knows.

Yep, he has... from what I read.

Ottawa did great in the regular season... but they didn't do very well against Boston from what I can remember. I think they may have even lost the season series between them. For as bad as Boston was last year... they still had Ottawa's number for some odd reason. Ottawa always seems to do great in the regular season but fail in the playoffs... same thing with the Bruins over the past decade it seems.

I think ownership has played a bigger role in Boston's direction than in Ottawa's. Which sucks for Bruins fans, since the team won't be sold for awhile.
It was close, Ottawa didn't dominate the Bruins like they did the Leafs.
http://www2.ottawasenators.com/eng/stats/redirect.cfm?sectionID=hockey/hockeyGameResults.cfm

4 wins, 3 loses, 1 shootout loss

slinger said:
I think ownership has played a bigger role in Boston's direction than in Ottawa's. Which sucks for Bruins fans, since the team won't be sold for awhile.
Ownership has played a pretty big role indeed. Jeremy Jacobs sucks... he even earned himself a spot at #7 in ESPN's 2005 list of "The Greediest Owners in Sports." Jacobs bought the team in 1975 and we have never seen a Stanley Cup won under his ownership. He is hated throughout New England... probably one of the most hated owners ever in Boston/New England sports. But maybe Jacobs has finally realized that if he isn't going to pay players then he will never get the attendence figures he wants and they won't make the playoffs, where he makes quite a bit of money during those games.
slinger said:
It was close, Ottawa didn't dominate the Bruins like they did the Leafs.
http://www2.ottawasenators.com/eng/stats/redirect.cfm?sectionID=hockey/hockeyGameResults.cfm

4 wins, 3 loses, 1 shootout loss
Yeah... I knew it was close. So we basically broke even throughout the season series? Not bad.

Slipknot said:
Ownership has played a pretty big role indeed. Jeremy Jacobs sucks... he even earned himself a spot at #7 in ESPN's 2005 list of "The Greediest Owners in Sports." Jacobs bought the team in 1975 and we have never seen a Stanley Cup won under his ownership. He is hated throughout New England... probably one of the most hated owners ever in Boston/New England sports. But maybe Jacobs has finally realized that if he isn't going to pay players then he will never get the attendence figures he wants and they won't make the playoffs, where he makes quite a bit of money during those games.

Yeah... I knew it was close. So we basically broke even throughout the season series? Not bad.

Well from that list you can be happy you're not a Blackhawks fan. That has got to hurt. I remember when the IHL or AHL's (can't remember if it was before the merger) Chicago Wolves were outdrawing the Blackhawks.
These cheap owners seem to from time to time go after a player, over pay him, he doesn't meet expectations and the team lets him go and doesn't spend for awhile.

slinger said:
Well from that list you can be happy you're not a Blackhawks fan. That has got to hurt. I remember when the IHL or AHL's (can't remember if it was before the merger) Chicago Wolves were outdrawing the Blackhawks.
Yeah... that's pretty bad. Bruins fans still come to see the games and I believe they actually drew more fans this year and had a better attendence record than the year prior to the lockout... which is odd.
slinger said:
These cheap owners seem to from time to time go after a player, over pay him, he doesn't meet expectations and the team lets him go and doesn't spend for awhile.
I think Chara will meet expectations in Boston. The Bruins will have a great defense this year. Chara, Mara, B. Stuart, Tanabe, Alberts, M. Stuart and Jurcina isn't bad at all on defense. We will also have a good core of forwards. Sturm, Bergeron, Murray, Boyes, Savard, Donovan, Axelsson, and possibly our first round draft pick from this year... Phil Kessel.

Pronger traded to Anaheim?! ......rough

It's already a ten month sport, from the training season to the Stanley cup.

I think a break is needed in the discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"