The CW developing "The Tomorrow People" remake

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/gre...uce-cw-adaptation-of-uk-show-tomorrow-people/
Greg Berlanti & Julie Plec To Produce CW Adaptation Of UK Show ‘Tomorrow People’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

The co-creators/ executive producers of the CW‘s two top-rated series, Arrow and The Vampire Diaries, have teamed for a new project at the network — a series adaptation of the cult British 1970s sci-fi series The Tomorrow People. Arrow‘s Greg Berlanti and The Vampire Diaries‘ Julie Plec will executive produce the project, written by Phil Klemmer (Chuck). In the vein of X-Men and Heroes, Tomorrow People is the story of several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, possessing special powers, including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together they work to defeat the forces of evil.

Created by Roger Price, The Tomorrow People, ITV’s answer to BBC’s Dr. Who, ran on the commercial broadcaster for eight seasons from 1973-1979 (watch its opening credits below). It developed a strong cult following and was a favorite of Berlanti and Plec, who are good friends from college. They had been chasing the rights to Tomorrow People for more than a decade, finally tracking them down to FremantleMedia, which rarely licenses its formats to other studios. But, given the level of auspices and Berlanti and Plec’s passion for the project, the company made an exception and will co-produce the adaptation with Warner Bros TV and studio-based Berlanti Prods. Berlanti, Plec, Klemmer and Berlanti Prods’ Melissa Berman executive produce, with SVP Scripted Programming Tony Optican overseeing for Fremantle. This is not the first attempt to reboot The Tomorrow People. ITV tried it in the early 1990s, with the new series running for three seasons.

Berlanti has credited Plec with convincing him to go back to writing when he had given up on his Hollywood dreams after a year of odd jobs and a string of rejections by agents and studios. Years later, the two briefly worked together on Dawson’s Creek and sold a feature, Her Leading Man, to Universal, with Dawson’s Creek creator and The Vampire Diaries‘ co-creator/exec producer Kevin Williamson attached to direct. Klemmer recently worked with Berlanti Prods on Berlanti’s USA drama Political Animals as well as the company’s midseason CBS series Golden Boy. Berlanti and Plec are with WME.
I can dig it.

Never saw the original, but was a huge fan of one of the remakes that aired on Nickelodeon in the early 90's. And with Plec and Berlanti running things, I'll be all over this should it make it to air.

I wonder just how much Berlanti and Plec will have to do with the writing, though. If this goes to air, and has the pace and structure of TVD, I'd be quite pleased...

I am hoping they keep TIM, the alien A.I. ship that help the group out. I am also wandering if they will keep the "Jaunting" (their term for teleporting would be an innate ability or will still use technology to jaunt around like their belts or wrist-bands. Yes I know show cause it was one of my favorite shows in the 70's/80's. :p

Never saw the original, but I quite fondly remember the 90s version when I was a kid. Definitely giving this a shot.

I got to thinking about the remake/reboot and the how should the the teleportation be shown? should the homo-superiors stand while jaunting or should they do more action based teleporting like in Jumper or Nightcrawler in Last Stand? Also should they still be pacifists or have some martial arts style they does not do much harm to their opponents? What do you think?

I use love the one on Nick back in the day. God the 90's were full of so much win.

Given that two of the people behind this are behind the two biggest shows on The CW right now, I'm betting this at least gets a pilot.

I wonder if it'll draw some inspiration from whats been done in the X-Men films (the good ones, at least), as opposed to stuff like Heroes and Alphas. Obviously, it'll draw inspiration from the original series, but Arrow has drawn just as much inspiration from Batman as it has from anything Green Arrow-related.

I got to thinking about the remake/reboot and the how should the the teleportation be shown? should the homo-superiors stand while jaunting or should they do more action based teleporting like in Jumper or Nightcrawler in Last Stand? Also should they still be pacifists or have some martial arts style they does not do much harm to their opponents? What do you think?

Why can't they do both? Stand & port and also Jump & port?

Martial arts styles??!?:wow::huh: Keep them as normal people, 1 or 2 with fighting skills, the rest as strange loners

Hope this turns out good. But jeez will we ever know the fate of Amazon? They are STILL casting?

It's on hold until next season now. They want to take their time to get things right, which I understand. Still don't know why they would've jumped the gun with casting calls if they were going to chicken out at the last minute...

I didn't even realize Noamie Harris (Skyfall, 28 Days Later, Pirates Of The Caribbean) starred in the 90s version until recently.

[YT]xZ5yEKWzkLw[/YT]

^Yup I had a huge crush on her back in the day.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/31/vampire-diaries-julie-plec-interview/
The CW also just ordered a pilot of the show you’re developing with Greg, an adaptation of the ’70s British sci-fi series The Tomorrow People. How did that come about?

He and I both watched it on Nickelodeon when we were kids, because they aired that right before You Can’t Do That on Television. [Laughs] And I could never find another person who had ever even heard of it, except for Greg in college once, so we were kindred spirits from the get-go. He calls up and he said, “Remember that show that you and I talked about all the time, and how nobody else that we knew had ever seen it, but we always said we wanted to make it into a TV show?” And I said, “Yep.” And he said, “I just got the rights, and you’re a producer now.” And I said, “Well, that’s the easiest job I’ve ever got in my life, so thank you very much.” It’s so great. He’s been so busy for the last seven, eight years, and I’ve been so busy for the last seven, eight years that we haven’t had a chance to do what we used to do, which is sit around over a bowl of Chinese food and talk about stories. It’s been really fun to get to play with him a little bit again.

Nice to know it is being produced by people who were fans of the original.

It's definitely helpful. I haven't watched the original series, but I'd be interested to. Wonder if this makes it to series, if they might decide to release both previous series on DVD.

The Tomorrow People - SpoilerTV CW pilot preview
Posted by Tariq Gamei at Thursday, February 07, 2013 9 Comment(s)
Pilot Shows

The CW's pilot The Tomorrow People is basically X-Men set in high school where mankind has begun mutation into two different types of people 'The Tomorrow People' who basically all have the same powers; Telekinesis, Telepathy and Teleportation but have different specializations, and another mysterious race that predates the tomorrow people.

The series is lighter in tone than CW shows like "The Vampire Diaries' filled with CW high school drama and love triangles. It explores the mutants' struggle with their powers, the conflict between the two factions and the government's dealing with their existence. There isn't really much original about this script, the CW basically asked for 'X-Men' in high school, word is the CW is eyeing this as a possible companion for 'Arrow' next season.

Eh, I'm kind of less excited now. lol

Possible companion for Arrow?! What does that mean for Supernatural?

Probably time to end the show anyway. It hasn't been the same to me since season 5.

Minor subplot aside, the new season has been pretty great IMO.

Eh, I'm kind of less excited now. lol

Eh, doesn't sound great, but it's a pretty vague description. I trust the writers on board enough to make this worth seeing. Plus, "X-Men in high school" doesn't sound any worse than "Twilight on TV" and that's pretty much exactly what TVD started out as, and now that **** is gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"