• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

You found posts from 8.5 years ago just like that? I need your filing/organisational skills. :D

I love one of the MoS trailers and re Snyder also loved Watchmen and 300 trailers. The whole concept of BvS (including the name itself) was a hard sell for me though and then tripled down on what I hate when hero vs hero is done wrong.
The Watchmen trailer is one of the greatest trailers of all time, IMO.

Also loved the Batman V. Superman Comic Con trailer. And I was 100% against that film prior to that.

I dont see Joker 2 getting there because there wont be the controversy behind it.

I want to believe people wont go see Mufasa because it is one of the dumbest ideas in quite some time but Di$ney will get kids to care somehow.
Joker: Folie à deux will be MASSIVE, no need for controversy.
The controversy was something only americans cared about for the first one, other markets simply loved the movie. In Europe it's even the most watched CBM ever in some markets.

Mufasa has the perfect release date. Coming off a 1.645 billion movie. It will make 1+ billion.

I'm not sure Cavill got all that much love and fame for the role, tbh. At least in my subjective experience Cavill is 100% Geralt in people's minds. That is his big role that people love him in, his Superman is only really popular in very specific CBM circles.
Really? As much as I loved him as Geralt - I don't think the show was really that big to where his recognition as Geralt eclipsed his recognition for Superman.

I feel like people loved him as Superman even IF they didn't like the films.

And maybe that's as you said - in very specific CBM circles - but I'd also argue that his popularity as Geralt is also more limited to gamer/geek circles.

After all, Joe Public knows who Superman is a lot easier than they know who Geralt is.

Really? As much as I loved him as Geralt - I don't think the show was really that big to where his recognition as Geralt eclipsed him being known for Superman.

And maybe that's as you said - in very specific CBM circles - but I'd also argue that his popularity as Geralt is also more limited to gamer circles.
It absolutely isn't, any GA member who likes fantasy stuff probably watched The Witcher. It's not like the biggest hit in the world but it was a very popular show and, let me put it this way, people being sad about Cavill not being Geralt anymore is a common refrain I hear IRL (subjective, obviously) whereas I have never heard a single person even mention Cavill not being Superman anymore.

I think his Superman made very little impression. He wasn't loved or hated. He was just there, IMO.

It absolutely isn't, any GA member who likes fantasy stuff probably watched The Witcher. It's not like the biggest hit in the world but it was a very popular show and, let me put it this way, people being sad about Cavill not being Geralt anymore is a common refrain I hear IRL (subjective, obviously) whereas I have never heard a single person even mention Cavill not being Superman anymore.

I think his Superman made very little impression. He wasn't loved or hated. He was just there, IMO.
Like I said, Joe Public knows a heck of a lot more about Superman than Geralt. I don't think if you polled a general audience that they'd say they know him as Geralt over Superman.

Even IF they didn't see the films, people are far more aware there was a Superman present in cinemas for nearly a decade over a moderate hit show on Netflix based on a game/book series.

Like I said, Joe Public knows a heck of a lot more about Superman than Geralt. I don't think if you polled a general audience that they'd say they know him as Geralt over Superman.

Even IF they didn't see the films, people are far more aware there was a Superman present in cinemas for nearly a decade over a moderate hit show on Netflix based on a game/book series.
I'm not talking about Superman as a character overall, I'm talking about the difference between a popular show and a movie series virtually no one in the GA remembers beyond it being a byword for terrible comic book movies.

Cavill was barely present in the role for that decade.

"Twisters" opens on July 19. I do wonder if filming on Superman is finished if he may have a quick chance to do some media for Twisters? I think David comes across as charming and funny in interviews, it would be a great opportunity to do double duty, as for certain, some outlets, if not most, would ask him about Superman.

Having David out and about, on tv and other media, might be the best chance to get people interested. A year early, but it would get the ball rolling.

"Twisters" opens on July 19. I do wonder if filming on Superman is finished if he may have a quick chance to do some media for Twisters? I think David comes across as charming and funny in interviews, it would be a great opportunity to do double duty, as for certain, some outlets, if not most, would ask him about Superman.

Having David out and about, on tv and other media, might be the best chance to get people interested. A year early, but it would get the ball rolling.
I did love the 3 seconds he appears in the trailer. :p

I'm not talking about Superman as a character overall, I'm talking about the difference between a popular show and a movie series virtually no one in the GA remembers beyond it being a byword for terrible comic book movies.
The Witcher was popular but still pretty niche.

And the GA knowing it being terrible (the DCEU) is a bit like Jack Sparrow's "But you have heard of me..." thing. And I think the GA/Joe Public knows about the DC films at least on an acknowledgement level more than The 'fell off the radar after Season 1 because the writing went bad' Witcher.

I would argue that the DCEU's biggest legacy for the GA are the Martha memes and Joker & Harley Halloween couples costumes.

The DCEU had a moment where it probably could have righted the ship around Wonder Woman and Aquaman. It just completely failed to do so as a result of poor decision making as well as external factors, even though I like a bunch of the movies that didn't do very well like BoP and TSS.

The DCEU had a moment where it probably could have righted the ship around Wonder Woman and Aquaman. It just completely failed to do so as a result of poor decision making as well as external factors, even though I like a bunch of the movies that didn't do very well like BoP and TSS.
WB had too many cooks in the kitchen spoiling the soup with their own ingredients.

Really? As much as I loved him as Geralt - I don't think the show was really that big to where his recognition as Geralt eclipsed his recognition for Superman.

And maybe that's as you said - in very specific CBM circles - but I'd also argue that his popularity as Geralt is also more limited to gamer/geek circles.

After all, Joe Public knows who Superman is a lot easier than they know who Geralt is.
Audiences were blatantly indifferent to Cavill’s Superman. They embraced him as Geralt. If he hadn’t been Geralt, he would’ve faded into obscurity with everyone except The Cult by now.

Joker: Folie à deux will be MASSIVE, no need for controversy.
The controversy was something only americans cared about for the first one, other markets simply loved the movie. In Europe it's even the most watched CBM ever in some markets.

Mufasa has the perfect release date. Coming off a 1.645 billion movie. It will make 1+ billion.
I dont think Joker hits $335 million in the US...so unless it expands its total abroad I think it will fall short. It will be massive that I don't doubt I just think getting to a billion is harder than you are giving it credit for.

Prequels are interesting things, and I just don't think anyone cares about a Mufasa Origin Story. There is no nostalgia for it (which The Lion King Copy Cat...errr Redo had) so I think you are over-estimating its appeal. We will see though kids movies could go either way. Again it will make a ton though either way.

Yeah, they definitely need to go all out with the marketing for this film. Guest appearances on the more popular TV shows should be treated like an event. That new DCU logo better be eye-catching AF. (The addition of 'Studios' was actually a step in the right direction since casual viewers are unlikely to remember a name consisting of just two letters.) Ultimately, you've got to engage your audience and endear them to these characters. That's partly why the MCU formula worked so well in the beginning until Disney shot themselves in the foot by killing off too many fan favorites. :funny:

Superhero fatigue is undeniably real. But, you know what? Worrying about things you can't control is pointless. You just have to make the best product you can, promote it like crazy, and hope for the best.

I don't know anyone who thinks of him as Superman. Hell most people I know wouldn't know him as Geralt either. He never really caught anyone's attention for anything en masse.

Here's the way I think Superman can make around the same or potentially more than The Batman.

Adjusted for inflation opening for recent Superman films + every Gunn CBM :
SUPERMAN RETURNS 80,014,651.60
MAN OF STEEL 154,394,990
GUARDIANS 1 122,880,186
GUARDIANS 2 184,343,206.37
GUARDIANS 3 118,414,021
THE SUICIDE SQUAD 26,205,415

Take the average of that, which would be: $114,375,411.76

Legs for Gunn's Guardians films.
Guardians 1: 3.54
Guardians 2: 2.66
Guardians 3: 3.03
Average: 3.076666667

And depending on the international/domestic splits, here are a few different scenarios basing on the MoS DOM/INT split and the Guardians films splits:
MAN OF STEEL SPLIT
SUPERMAN (GUARDIANS 1 LEGS)
920,202,176 100%
404,888,958 44%
515,313,219 56%

SUPERMAN (GUARDIANS 2 LEGS)
691,451,353 100%
304,238,595 44%
387,212,758 56%

SUPERMAN (GUARDIANS 3 LEGS)
787,630,676 100%
346,557,498 44%
441,073,179 56%

SUPERMAN (AVERAGE LEGS)
799,761,402 100%
351,895,017 44%
447,866,385 56%
GUARDIANS 1 SPLIT
941,602,227 100%
404,888,958 43%
536,713,269 57%

707,531,617 100%
304,238,595 43%
403,293,022 57%

805,947,669 100%
346,557,498 43%
459,390,171 57%

SUPERMAN (AVERAGE LEGS)
818,360,504 100%
351,895,017 43%
466,465,487 57%
GUARDIANS 2 SPLIT
899,753,239 100%
404,888,958 45%
494,864,282 55%

676,085,767 100%
304,238,595 45%
371,847,172 55%

770,127,773 100%
346,557,498 45%
423,570,275 55%

SUPERMAN (AVERAGE LEGS)
781,988,926 100%
351,895,017 45%
430,093,909 55%

GUARDIANS 3 SPLIT
964,021,328 100%
404,888,958 42%
559,132,370 58%

724,377,608 100%
304,238,595 42%
420,139,013 58%

825,136,899 100%
346,557,498 42%
478,579,402 58%

SUPERMAN (AVERAGE LEGS)
837,845,278 100%
351,895,017 42%
485,950,261 58%
Average for all those results is: $809,489,028

So yes I think it can make as much and more than The Batman if the marketing plays its cards right and Gunn makes a film as crowd pleasing and four-quadrant as his Guardians films (which I think he will)

Last edited:
I dont think Joker hits $335 million in the US...so unless it expands its total abroad I think it will fall short. It will be massive that I don't doubt I just think getting to a billion is harder than you are giving it credit for.
This movie is Joker + Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn. The movie will be this year's Barbie for Warner.
Guess we'll see who's right 😉

Even if Joker doesn't cross a billion there is a 0% chance it isn't the highest grossing movie DC puts out for the foreseeable future. It's the only one that might do a billion and will at the very least push it.

This movie is Joker + Lady Gaga as "Harley Quinn". The movie will be this year's Barbie for Warner.
Guess we'll see who's right 😉
Arthur may be an unreliable narrator, but that isn't Harley Quinn unless she's a psychiatrist! :argh:

With Supergirl getting a confirmed release date of June 2026 it is safe to say Supergirl will be the 2nd movie in the DCU slate of films since Superman is set to come out July 11th, 2025

And with that I hope we do get a mid or post credits scene in Superman that builds towards Supergirl which would make sense because you build up excitement towards a shared universe that way

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"