The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

Sony or WB buying Paramount is worst case scenario. Ideally, an outside party entirely would end up with Paramount. So that we don't lose a major studio. Merger of studios is bad, especially if it's Sony or WB

I enjoyed the Mario movie.

I don't know of it matters that I would not have enjoyed it had I never played the games.

Some of you are way too harsh on the Illuminati Mario movie. Could it have been better? Sure, but it really isn't THAT bad. The animation is great and it isn't a bastardization of the source material. Let's not pretend that the Mario games have some kind of vast deep lore with decades of world-building, etc. Zelda, sure, but the Mario games are purely basic fun. The one major criticism I have with the movie was the Marvelization of using pop music in so many scenes, especially at the expense of losing a far superior score that had a lot of nods to the original music from the games including a Donkey Kong Country cue that was dropped in favor of "Take On Me" in the final film for some dumb reason.
I felt a little aged out of it now, but it is exactly the Mario movie I would have wanted if I was ten years old. You know...rather than the live-action one we got at the time.

I liked it quite a bit better than the Sonic movies.

I would probably have more opinions on the Sonic and Mario movie if I was more into the lore of those, but for me I enjoy the games from the OG erad which were not exactly plot motivated at all and were basic. So they don't anger me or anything. They're just fine kids meant for small children to me. Something like Transformers I have stronger opinions on cause I grew up watching the show, and thus care about the lore more than for Mario or Sonic

I don't think the Mario movie is very good. But, it doesn't bother me that kids like it. Because let me tell you, revisiting some of your favorites from the past can be.... rough.
As I just re-learned with X-Men. :funny:

I’ll tell you one movie from the past, that’s also a video game adaptation that aged like fine wine…
IMG_9735.gif

But yall not ready for that Double Dragon conversation.

Little Shinobi wore the VHS to Double Dragon, Mortal Kombat and TMNT 90 OUT.
Duuuuuude, Mortal Kombat I love unironically. That to me is just a fun movie. TMNT has always been legit good and I don't think that's a controversial take. But I would rather watch the OG 90s Mortal Kombat movie than the new one. Easily

Last edited:
I would probably have more opinions on the Sonic and Mario movie if I was more into the lore of those, but for me I enjoy the games from the OG erad which were not exactly plot motivated at all and were basic. So they don't anger me or anything. They're just fine kids meant for small children to me. Something like Transformers I have stronger opinions on cause I grew up watching the show, and thus care about the lore more than for Mario or Sonic
I don't remember the lore for anything I loved as a kid before superheroes. Except maybe Ghostbusters, but there wasn't much "lore" there lol. Transformers, Sonic, Power Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....I remember loving those to death, but if you quizzed me about the lore, I'd utterly fail. I feel like "lore" and world-building is only something that starts to matter to us in our fictional faves as we grow up, so we only keep up with it IF we keep enjoying that property as we age. As kids, we're pretty much just focusing on the funny characters, flashy visuals and sense of adventure. Or maybe that was just me lol.

I don't remember the lore for anything I loved as a kid before superheroes. Except maybe Ghostbusters, but there wasn't much "lore" there lol. Transformers, Sonic, Power Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....I remember loving those to death, but if you quizzed me about the lore, I'd utterly fail. I feel like "lore" and world-building is only something that starts to matter to us in our fictional faves as we grow up, so we only keep up with it IF we keep enjoying that property as we age. As kids, we're pretty much just focusing on the funny characters, flashy visuals and sense of adventure. Or maybe that was just me lol.

There is something to that. One big thing for me was the toys. X-Men and Spider-Man had amazing toy lines and Transformers toys I always had fun playing with. TMNT I always loved how they looked but they stood like crap lol! Also was big into Godzilla and anything that was smash your action figures against each other type properties, and I still love that type of stuff like the Monsterverse. The Ole dinosaur part of my brain lol

At my big age, I can still recount to you the mythos of Power Rangers. From Mighty Morphin to Time Force. Throw in VR Troopers and Big Bad Beetle Borgs too.

That was my era.
The fact that you mention Time Force tells me you kept up with them for more years than I did. :funny:

I don't think the Mario movie is very good. But, it doesn't bother me that kids like it. Because let me tell you, revisiting some of your favorites from the past can be.... rough.
Don't come at me for The Pagemaster and We're Back A Dinosaur Story! :o

The fact that you mention Time Force tells me you kept up with them for more years than I did. :funny:
I remember when I gave up at In Space because I was already getting tired with Turbo. Came back out of nostalgia and liked Ninja Storm, but that's it. 😆

I did end up reading up on the series, but too much for me to actually sit down and rewatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"