• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Dark Knight Rises The Truth About The Casting Rumors...No Riddler?

Mastodon123

Civilian
Reaction score
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/08/02/the-truth-about-those-dark-knight-sequel-casting-rumors/
Since The Dark Knight is headed to become the second biggest grossing film of all time (domestically), rumors have already begun as to what villains will be featured in the enevitable sequel. The latest from the rumor mill has Johnny Depp as The Riddler, Angelina Jolie as The Catwoman, and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin. Oh my!Wouldn’t Johnny Depp make a great Riddler? Yeah, BUT the truth of the matter is that Christopher Nolan has not yet signed on for a third Batman film. His brother and screenwriter Jonathan Nolan is supposedly still on the set doing work for Terminator Salvation. And who knows what David Goyer is up to. Even if he is busy penning a treatment, which is doubtful, I’m confident that casting talks won’t take place for quite some time. Nolan is also the type of guy to cast a role only when he has a script in hand. So I’m sure we won’t hear any casting announcements any time soon. But also take note that none of the actors who have played villains thus far were considered A-listers. And by that I mean, none of them alone could (at least, at the time) open a big blockbuster movie. As to which villains will be featured in the next Batman film? Goyer recently told MTV that Chris has decided on a theme for a potential third film. And anyone who has seen either of Nolan’s Batman films know that the theme is inexorably tied to the villain. And while I can easily imagine someone like The Riddler in the Nolanverse, turned into a serial killer who leaves clues behind. I can’t quite imagine a theme based on The Riddler, which would effect Bruce Wayne. And the same could be said for many of the prominent characters in the Batman franchise.And remember, Goyer and Nolan told us that with 70 years of Batman history, they are more interested in some of the “dozens if not hundreds of other characters” that “had not been in the movies before, and had not been in the sixties TV show before.” My guess is that the villain might not be anyone we expect.
So I guess you can add the Riddler to the list of characters that won't be in the 3rd film. I guess we'll be getting Black Mask and maybe a returning Two-Face

I wouldn't rule anything out right now. And these things are all done surreptitiously. Lot of red herrings were thrown during 1.5 years before the official WB announcement of DK. Lachey Hulme being the Joker, Liev Schreiber as Dent, etc. I have a very strong feeling though that Chris Nolan and Goyer are going to get together and work on an outline next month. Jonah Nolan said that Goyer and Chris began broadly outlining things for DK in September of 2005. So I expect them to follow the same plan now.

Its different this time though. There wasn't as much hype surrounding BB as there is TDK. Now you have A-List actors jumping on WB's nuts wanting to play a part in the next film as whatever character they think they should play.
Also the rumors about who were going to play the Joker, or Harvey Dent came about because even before Batman Begins came out Goyer actually revealed what they were going to in TDK with the Joker and Harvey Dent. Thats why the rumors of whose play who came about with TDK.
Now that TDK has been released Goyer has revealed much about the next film except they've picked a villian and a theme, and denied that catwoman, penguin and maybe even the Riddler won't be in the film.

Like Shane said, don't rule out anything, it's all rumours right now.

I'm glad to hear this. Although, I think the Riddler is the only villain left that could be interesting to see in the Nolanverse. No to Penguin, Catwoman, and Bane.

I hope we get the Black Mask and Two Face, that would be cool.

Nobody knows anything right now.

Don't believe any rumors, it'll be YEARS before any real info starts leaking in...

Well we know that Nolan has a Villian and a Theme for the 3rd film. Riddler, Penguin, and Catwoman won't be the villian.

So I guess the question now is what villain could personally effect Bruce Wayne like Ra's Al Ghul or the Joker did?

I'm glad to hear this. Although, I think the Riddler is the only villain left that could be interesting to see in the Nolanverse. No to Penguin, Catwoman, and Bane.

Riddler would make the 3rd film into a more psycholical and thinking mans thriller...

I hope Nolan makes a 3rd Batman film. I'd like to see Black Mask as well.

I still want The riddler and Catwomen, they are the characters i care the most for.

So I guess the question now is what villain could personally effect Bruce Wayne like Ra's Al Ghul or the Joker did?

Any one of them could. It all depends on the writing, and how the villains are adapted for Nolan's Bat-world. Sometimes people's interpretations/representations of characters just plain sucks and doesn't do them justice at all, whereas another person's is just spot on. A great example is the film Batman and Robin, with Mr. Freeze's one liners and crap, and then the Batman cartoon episode Heart of Ice which is the greatest characterization of Freeze that I've ever seen. Nolan has proved to us TWICE what he can do, I trust him, and I think it's safe to say that once he signs on for a third (hopefully), we can have a collective sigh of relief.
That being said, I would absolutely love the Riddler, Catwoman, and Ventriloquist done for the big screen by Nolan.

Ok come on ,, let´s face it,,, non-comic audiences, or people who only like batman movies,, won´t go to watch a third film if the main villain is Black Mask ,, come on!!! not after having the Joker in the second one, i don´t know if you guys know what i mean, they have to put a famous villain in the the one ,,,,,,, my opinion ,, :woot:

I hope Nolan makes a 3rd Batman film. I'd like to see Black Mask as well.

I'm sure he will.

I hope they don't put The Riddler for the third film. C'mon... remember Batman Forever? I don't want to see Two-Face and The Riddler together again. It'd be better if they put the Riddler for the fourth film.

I want to see Catwoman! Black Mask sounds awesome. They should pick Jet Li as Black Mask! :woot:

Ok come on ,, let´s face it,,, non-comic audiences, or people who only like batman movies,, won´t go to watch a third film if the main villain is Black Mask ,, come on!!! not after having the Joker in the second one, i don´t know if you guys know what i mean, they have to put a famous villain in the the one ,,,,,,, my opinion ,, :woot:
Yea just like no one went to go see Batman Begins because it had Scarecrow and Ras :whatever:

Yea just like no one went to go see Batman Begins because it had Scarecrow and Ras :whatever:
Well, to be fair, they certainly weren't laughing all the way to the bank like they are now when Batman Begins came out. That film only did moderately well, but nothing spectacular by blockbuster comparison.

Well, to be fair, they certainly weren't laughing all the way to the bank like they are now when Batman Begins came out. That film only did moderately well, but nothing spectacular by blockbuster comparison.

True, Begins really didn't have much hype, but I think how succesful TDK was..people will be running to the sequels regardless of who the villain is

Well we know that Nolan has a Villian and a Theme for the 3rd film. Riddler, Penguin, and Catwoman won't be the villian.
We don't know that.

We don't know anything right now.

Folks, you have to read how the article was written. It's not Goyer saying the Riddler won't be in BB3; that's the opinion of the guy at slashfilm. Goyer never mentions ANY villain by name:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/07/21/exclusive-david-goyer-says-he-knows-the-theme-for-batman-3/

Exactly.

And even if Goyer had said so, that still wouldn't make it true. Goyer said TDK would feature the Joker in a small role and [BLACKOUT]that Two-Face wouldn't show up until BB3[/BLACKOUT]... That turned out rather differently...

Finally someone who agrees with me! :grin:

We don't know that.

We don't know anything right now.

Exactly.

And even if Goyer had said so, that still wouldn't make it true. Goyer said TDK would feature the Joker in a small role and [blackout]that Two-Face wouldn't show up until BB3[/blackout]... That turned out rather differently...

http://filmonic.com/david-goyer-rules-penguin-catwoman
He mentions Catwoman and Penguin won't be in the next film.Goyer never said the Joker would have a small role, anyways he only wrote the treatment to TDK.
Originally Black Mask and Penguin were apart of the the story but the Nolan's took them out. So far Goyer has been right about what villians were going to be in the next film. Face it, no Catwoman or Penguin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"