There and back again: Over the pond.

Eggyman

The Oval Avenger
Reaction score
Before I get going, I'd like to say that I made a similar thread this time last year. I felt it was important then; I feel it is important now. Here we go:

This Hype thingdangle is a great place, where I have conversed with a lot of wonderful people (far too many to mention). We discuss a varied amount of topics -- much deeper than any outsider would expect having seeing the name above the door of the place. But having said that we do have our disputes, which indeed we should, because of the nature of the place. But there is also a lot of good feelings spread through these boards, and I'm sure that the regular posters round here will agree, that other sites to post have their place, but it is the Hype! that we all call home. Anyway . . .

So what's it all about eggyman? I hear you say. Well, other Thanksgiving threads may pop up over the next couple of days, but this thread is dedicated to sending peace across the pond to my friends in America, who are due to celebrate a holiday that us Brits don't know much about. So, this thread is here for the main purpose of international good will.

I for one think it sounds like a great tradition -- an excuse to meet up with your family and get stuffed, being thankful for the times you have with the ones you love. To me this sounds like a pure holiday compared to the manic, shopaholic nature that xmas has turned into.

So please, whatever you have to be thankful for, say it, and if you're not in the states, send your love to our brothers and sisters who are. :heart:

Peace. :cwink::word::hyper:

good sentiments EggyEggyBoBeggy...but I'm sure they'll be lost amongst the sarcasm that SHHers love to give more than receive.

Good to have you back Eggy, I wish us brits had something like Thanksgiving, Best wishes to all you guys across the pond.

Good to have you back Eggy, I wish us brits had something like Thanksgiving, Best wishes to all you guys across the pond.

That's the spirit ;)

Good to be back. In fact, I haven't been anywhere -- just watchin' the wheels :)

I Like The Idea Of Thanksgiving But Eggyman You Sound So Stereotypically Posh Brit I Dont Know If You Are Or Not Just Thought You Might Wanna Know

I Like The Idea Of Thanksgiving But Eggyman You Sound So Stereotypically Posh Brit I Dont Know If You Are Or Not Just Thought You Might Wanna Know

Yeah, I'm really posh . . . everyone at my three jobs thinks so too lol! This thread's here to spread the love, dude. If that's the extent of your ability to share good vibes then be careful of the door on your way out. Don't drag it down man, it's here for a reason.

It's funny, but I thought if I was gonna get any stick, it would be me being called a hippy or summat hahahahaha -- not a 'posh brit'.

Yeah, I'm really posh . . . everyone at my three jobs thinks so too lol! This thread's here to spread the love, dude. If that's the extent of your ability to share good vibes then be careful of the door on your way out. Don't drag it down man, it's here for a reason.

It's funny, but I thought if I was gonna get any stick, it would be me being called a hippy or summat hahahahaha -- not a 'posh brit'.

Why would people call you a hippy?

Why would people call you a hippy?

Coz I've made a thread about spreading the love and good vibes lol! Why the hell would they call me a posh brit lmao?

BRB -- just goin for some cucumber sarnies and a pot of tea ;)

I Wasn't Saying You Were I Was Just Saying That's How You Came Across In Your First Message And Don't Get Me Wrong This Is Slightly Hipacritical As I Live In A Suburb In Hampshire But I Just Thought Id Mention It

Coz I've made a thread about spreading the love and good vibes lol! Why the hell would they call me a posh brit lmao?

BRB -- just goin for some cucumber sarnies and a pot of tea ;)

A bit of love, peace and harmony on this site would be good, too much *****ing and griping. Btw how's the queen pip pip.

My all time hero is John Lennon, a man who truly belived in peace. Something i really wish there was in the world, guess that makes me a hippy.

If I weren't so cranky I might be receptive to the love. :csad:

nice thread eggyman.

I don't know much about your Holiday other than you eat alot of food, watch american football and thank indians for sharing food with the settlers I think?, but anyway have a good thanksgiving.

nice thread eggyman.

I don't know much about your Holiday other than you eat alot of food, watch american football and thank indians for sharing food with the settlers I think?, but anyway have a good thanksgiving.
The basics:
The English settlers who came to America encountered one hell of a winter in a land they were unfamiliar with. These early American settlers befriended a local group of Native Americans/Indians, who shared their food, and dined with them. We give thanks for those settlers making it through the winter (with a little help from their friends), and give thanks for all the good stuff we have in our lives.

The cynical truth:
A group of religious nut-bags who wanted to change the Church of England were kicked out of the country, and fled to the American colonies, miles away from the more industrious settlers of Jamestown. As a result, they were left alone and cold in one hell of a winter. When a group of Indians came by and offered them food, the religious nut-bag settlers took the food, and killed the natives who offered to help them. We celebrate this forgotten page in history by eating way more than any person ought to, watching holiday specials & football, and stabbing our fellow shoppers in retail stores the next day to get to '50% off' designer clothing.

^
Out of curiousity
how do Native americans feel about Thanksgiving by the way?

:whatever:

Well, thanks for trying anyway, Eggyman. Nice sentiment and I for one appreciate it. :yay:

And you're right about it being a great holiday. For most people I know, it is their favorite, in part for the very reasons you cited. It's nice to take a moment from the harried life that so many of us Americans lead and get together with people we love and remember all the things we do have to be thankful for. :up: (plus there's the turkey and stuffing)

And btw, I see nothing wrong with sounding like a posh Brit. :huh: It's miles better than sounding like a chav.

:whatever:

Well, thanks for trying anyway, Eggyman. Nice sentiment and I for one appreciate it. :yay:

And you're right about it being a great holiday. For most people I know, it is their favorite, in part for the very reasons you cited. It's nice to take a moment from the harried life that so many of us Americans lead and get together with people we love and remember all the things we do have to be thankful for. :up: (plus there's the turkey and stuffing)

And btw, I see nothing wrong with sounding like a posh Brit. :huh: It's miles better than sounding like a chav.

Innit -- wiki wah :D

Tar babs :)

Nice sentiments, eggy. My best wishes to you and yours. :up:

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"