Will Marvel pull a Rebirth/Watchmen style 'shocker' now that they own Miracleman?

Milk Tray Guy

70s Man of Action
Reaction score
About 8 years ago Marvel purchased the rights to the character Miracleman (created in the 1950s by Mick Anglo as Marvelman, a Captain Marvel/Shazam analogue). Since then they've published - in single issues and in collected editions - Anglo's original tales, along with Alan Moore's acclaimed 80s reboot of the character (during which time the name was changed to Miracleman following a fear of legal action from Marvel Comics) and some of Neil Gaiman's run which followed directly on from Moore - with a promise that Gaiman will finally get to finish his Silver Age/Dark Age story arcs.

It's been suggested a few times that with their purchase of MM Marvel finally have their own 'Watchmen' with speculation online over whether Marvel will one day incorporate Miracleman into their main comics universe, in effect paralleling DC's Dr Manhattan/Rebirth. Personally I wouldn't have thought they would (but then I never thought DC would do it with Watchmen either).

However this had made me wonder...

"I’m kind of conflicted in terms of the central twist that is revealed there [in DC's Rebirth], because philosophically as a fan, I kind of feel like that work [Watchmen] is a complete work, and I’ve liked the fact that people have stayed away from it, except in really recent memory, and let it be its own thing. On the flipside of that, as the guy that does all this publishing for Marvel, I know that if that book [Watchmen] was in our back catalogue, there would definitely have been interaction by this point, and it probably would have happened much sooner. So I can’t fault them for doing exactly what I would do, at least in the abstract, if I had the publishing rights."

Tom Brevoort

https://io9.gizmodo.com/if-marvel-had-owned-watchmen-that-big-dc-rebirth-twist-1779494831

So do you think Marvel just might be planning to 'break the internet' with a Miracleman reveal in their main universe at some point? And if so, when? If they do my guess is it won't be until Gaiman finally gets to finish his outstanding story.

Last edited:
I hope not.

I love the Miracle Man stuff as it is. It's a fantastic series and all but if they tried to bring him into Marvel then they'd dilute the character into just another Sentry/Hyperion/Superman rip-off.

Or worse.

Give him to Bendis.

Yes! Let's give him to Bendis! Then we can strip away all that made the character interesting and give him quips! Jokes! And then we'll make him Jewish!

:whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"