‘I Wanna Dance with Somebody’ | Whitney Houston Biopic

I don't know who that is but it sure doesn't look like Whitney Houston but some random woman doing lip synch.

I don't know who that is but it sure doesn't look like Whitney Houston but some random woman doing lip synch.
Did Rami Malek look exactly like Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody? Did Taron Egerton look exactly like Elton John in Rocketman? Did Austin Butler look exactly like Elvis Presley in Elvis? Did Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon look exactly like Johnny Cash and June Carter in Walk the Line? Did Chadwick Boseman look exactly like James Brown in Get On Up?

It's extremely rare that you'll find anyone who looks exactly like the person they're playing in a biopic.

Well, to be fair, Malek looked a heck of alot like Mercury, Egerton looked pretty close to a 70s era Elton ,and Butler certainly looked alot like Elvis .

So , I wouldn't use those 3 in particular as the best examples.

That said, while she doesn't look all that much like Houston facial structure wise, that doesn't mean , she can't knock it out of the park acting wise.

If she can do that, that will go a long way in helping the film connect with people.

Now , I'm part of the generation who grew up with Whitney being everywhere, so inevitably, people my age are gonna make comparisons look-wise, fair or not.

At the end of the day, I'll give the actress a chance and see how she does.

That was a pretty good trailer.

How involved is Clive Davis in this? I find him to be quite an icky man (like most powerful execs), and this looks like it's making him out to be some hero.

Well, to be fair, Malek looked a heck of alot like Mercury, Egerton looked pretty close to a 70s era Elton ,and Butler certainly looked alot like Elvis .

So , I wouldn't use those 3 in particular as the best examples.
They looked like them because of the hair and makeup department. You put a wig/glasses/mustache/fake teeth on the actors and of course they're going to look more like the people they're playing.

I'm still not a big fan of this production and the casting, but Jesus that trailer made me miss Whitney.

To this day, still my favorite singer of all time.

I'm still not a big fan of this production and the casting, but Jesus that trailer made me miss Whitney.

To this day, still my favorite singer of all time.

She had such an incredible voice. Just astounding how some prominent Black figures called her “Whitey Houston” because her voice was different.

They looked like them because of the hair and makeup department. You put a wig/glasses/mustache/fake teeth on the actors and of course they're going to look more like the people they're playing.

I would say even beyond the wigs and make up they bare a resemblance to their counterparts facial structure wise, particularly Raimi.

But even putting that aside, you asked was whether or not they looked exactly like their counterparts.
You didn't qualify it bringing up make up.

If you're point is that before make up ,they didn't strongly resemble their counterparts, I would still disagree with you even then, but I could understand that argument.

Either way, it doesn't matter , ultimately, I think we agree that just because Naomi isn't a dead ringer, doesn't mean she couldn't do a good job.

I would say even beyond the wigs and make up they bare a resemblance to their counterparts facial structure wise, particularly Raimi.

But even putting that aside, you asked was whether or not they looked exactly like their counterparts.
You didn't qualify it bringing up make up.

If you're point is that before make up ,they didn't strongly resemble their counterparts, I would still disagree with you even then, but I could understand that argument.

Either way, it doesn't matter , ultimately, I think we agree that just because Naomi isn't a dead ringer, doesn't mean she couldn't do a good job.
My point is that regardless of makeup, it's extremely rare that an actor will completely resemble the person they're playing in a biopic.

My point is that regardless of makeup, it's extremely rare that an actor will completely resemble the person they're playing in a biopic.

I got that point ,( and this is the last I'll say about it because, I agree with you on that point overall,) but my point, was that the first three actors you mentioned happened to resemble very much , their counterparts .

So asking if they resembled their counterparts weakened the point you were trying to make because those particular choices did look alot like their counterparts.

I agree with you with Phoenix and Cash, and I would throw in there , Lou Diamond Phillips playing Richie Valens, as another example of someone who didn't resemble their real life counter part, and Ian Hart playing John Lennon , and that's if we're talking just music biopics.

I agree with you, it isn't always easy to find an actor who resembles a real subject of a biopic .

How involved is Clive Davis in this? I find him to be quite an icky man (like most powerful execs), and this looks like it's making him out to be some hero.
Yeah I can see them sanitizing or glossing over the "rougher edges" to Whitney's life and give unrealistic portrayals to the likes of Clive Davis.

Just watched Whitney’s rendition of the American National Anthem for the first time as I was born in the mid 90’s, beautiful stuff!

Naomi Ackie sounded pretty much like Whitney Houston’s regular speaking voice to me. I’d believe it just fine.

Are they going to show Houston already into drugs prior to Brown showing up?

I saw this today.

morgan-freeman-falling-asleep.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"