“Pluto” Anime Adaptation coming to Netflix in 2023

TheWiseGuy487

Feelin’ good (Undecided/still figuring out)
Reaction score

A synopsis of the manga taken from Wikipedia:

The series is based on Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy, specifically "The Greatest Robot on Earth" (地上最大のロボット, Chijō Saidai no Robotto)story arc, and named after the arc's chief villain. Urasawa reinterprets the story as a suspenseful murder mystery starring Gesicht, a Europol robot detective trying to solve the case of a string of robot and human deaths.

I own and have read the manga, and I loved it. When they first announced this 6 years ago, I got super excited at the potential. If this trailer is any indication, this is going to be quite the experience.

I literally cannot wait for this to come out. The art style and character designs looks like they were literally copied and perfectly translated straight from the manga. That’s how much I’m looking forward to this.

A synopsis of the manga taken from Wikipedia:

I own and have read the manga, and I loved it. When they first announced this 6 years ago, I got super excited at the potential. If this trailer is any indication, this is going to be quite the experience.

I literally cannot wait for this to come out. The art style and character designs looks like they were literally copied and perfectly translated straight from the manga. That’s how much I’m looking forward to this.

Bruh that looked fantastic and I will definitely watch. I known about the manga for years but never read it but after I watch this I just might.

Bruh that looked fantastic and I will definitely watch. I known about the manga for years but never read it but after I watch this I just might.

Do it! And you don’t even need to be familiar with or have knowledge of the original manga by Osama Tezuka, which contains the original story that this is based on, in order to enjoy it. It’s a pretty self contained story. I bought all eight volumes on a whim some years back from hearing really good things about it and pretty much breezed right through it.

Better jump on it quick, though. I was just looking on Amazon and RightStuf and there’s a limited quantity left, and some are out of stock on each site, and I’m not sure if they are still printing it or not. Would probably run you up about $90 - $100 or so total, but if money isn’t as much of an issue for you, I’d say go for it. Definitely worth every penny.

I can’t believe I’m getting even more excited for this project because of and over new art drawn by the original manga creator for a poster, but here we are. :funny:

Wish we would get a more specific release date for this as soon as possible.

This. Looks. F**king. Fantastic.

Holy s**t, this looks great! The design of the characters and the settings are on point. The animation is practically anime movie quality. You can tell this was a labor of love that had a lot of time and work invested into it from everyone involved and took a few years to make. This is probably one of my most anticipated anime adaptations ever, and it’s so surreal that it’s finally going to be released in a few months.

October 26th. The wait for this is going to be torture. :funny:

Netflix's Pluto Announces Episode Count
Wow 8 episode count around sixty minutes each. Can’t wait.

And the manga itself is eight volumes long with 65 chapters/acts. That would mean about an average of eight acts adapted per episode, so about one act adapted every eight to nine minutes or so. Or, looking at it another way, the length of an average anime episode is around 20-ish minutes long. Each each episode of Pluto is an hour long, so one episode of this is equal to about three anime episodes. That’s about the equivalent of 23–24 episodes for the entirety of this. Basically, the length of a two-cour anime.

From what I can remember from reading it sometime ago, that’s a pretty perfect length for this. The chapters themselves aren’t super long but pretty dialogue heavy, which balances itself out. One thing that really stuck out and stuck with me about the manga when reading it was that it was pretty atmospheric at times. There were times where it would just let you sit in the moment and take it in.

Just for reference on why I am not worried about this, Monster, another anime adapted from a manga by Naoki Urasawa, was 74 episodes long adapted from 162 chapters. Doing the math, that’s about 2-3 chapters per episode, which is pretty much the same as Pluto. From the episodes that I’ve watched of Monster so far, it’s pretty dialogue heavy and seems to cover quite a bit of ground per episode, yet still somehow manages to pace itself really well, is pretty atmospheric and at no point ever feels rushed.

This anime is going to be fine and is in good hands.

This was freaking brilliant. Such a great bend on a few genres made this a deeply emotional and thought provoking mirror to our world. Easily might make my top 10 favorite anime of all time.

Last edited:
This and Blue Eye Samurai are far and away the best animated shows out right now. I never really got into Astro Boy when I was younger, but I really loved the mature/darker tone of this show.

The world-building is excellent too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"