13 year old fires off AK in Middle School

JLBats

The boney king of nowhere
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/09/missouri.school.ap/index.html

JOPLIN, Missouri (AP) -- A 13-year-old student wearing a mask and a long, black trenchcoat fired an AK-47 into the ceiling at his school Monday morning after confronting a pair of students and administrators, telling them "please don't make me do this," officials said.
No one was injured, and the boy, who police said was following a well-thought out plan, was taken into custody.
The seventh-grader pointed the gun at the two students, Principal Steve Gilbreth and Assistant Superintendent Steve Doerr, telling them "not to make me do this," Superintendent Jim Simpson said.
He then fired the shot into the ceiling, breaking a water pipe, and said again "Please don't make me do this," Simpson said.
Doerr and Gilbreth persuaded the youth to leave the building, and he was confronted by two police officers who had their weapons drawn. The student dropped the rifle and was taken into custody, Simpson said.
"It was a very close call," he said.
Police Officer Curt Farmer said officers found a note in the student's backpack indicating that he had placed an explosive in the school, which has about 750 students. Students were moved to nearby Joplin Memorial Hall to be picked up by their parents.
The backpack also contained military manuals, instructions on assembling a bomb and detailed drawings of the school.
"This was quite well thought out," Farmer said. "He had been planning this for a long time."
Farmer said police believe they know where the student got the weapon but would not disclose those details. He said it was not uncommon for people in the area to own high-power firearms.
The student, whose name was not released, was wearing a T-shirt over his head with holes cut out for eyes, Farmer said.
The school was closed while police and Missouri State Highway Patrol officers searched the building with bomb-sniffing dogs.
Simpson said authorities did not know whether others were involved, and school officials said they could not discuss a motive and would not have access to the student's records until the search was completed.
Police searched a home in the area and officers were seen leaving the house carrying two rifles, The Joplin Globe reported. Police roped off a half-block area around the house and would not reveal specifics about the search.
The shooting happened about 7:45 a.m., 10 minutes before the start of classes.
"A lot of the kids were scared," said eighth-grader Deron Moore. "After they said on the intercom that there was someone with a gun, I kind of went into shock."
A woman who was dropping her son off at the school said she saw Gilbreth "waving crazily" and police cars pulling up behind her.
"Police were heading into the school with weapons drawn, and the principal was pointing to the east side of the school," Blake Spivak told The Joplin Globe.
Spivak, former advertising director for the newspaper, said she and her son, Cooper, stayed in the car while Gilbreth walked back into the school flanked by armed officers in protective jackets. She said an officer told her to get down or get her car away from the scene.
Joplin, which has about 40,900 residents, is in southwest Missouri, about 140 miles south of Kansas City. It is about 10 miles from the small town of Riverton, Kansas, where five high school students were arrested in April and accused of plotting a school rampage there.
Schools across the country have been on alert since three deadly school shootings in three states in the span of a week, and several schools have been locked down or closed entirely during the past two weeks because of threats.

So, is this thing epidimic yet?

They said it was the fourth shooting in a month.

Wow.

(I smell Jack Thompson coming)

I'd also like to ask everyone:

Why do you think we're having this rash of school shootings?
Is there a way to stop it?
Does the problem start at home, the media, the culture, elementary school, as late as high school?
Is the solution in re-orienting our views and the atmosphere at schools, or implementing new security measures?

I think that cruel school kids are doing this. Seriously, middle school and high school can be cruel years. If a kid takes it wrong, and just takes things out of context, he may be crazy enough to get dad's AK and show it off at school.

I think that new security measures will be taken at every school. We may be looking at metal detectors in every school in a few years.

What the hell?How did a 7th grade get his hands on guns and bombs?

Messed up kid.He needs to talk to a counseler.

Would everyone be okay with metal detectors in schools?

It would significantly change the atmosphere of a place of learning.

Wow, what is happening to the kids of today...

Punch the parents in the forehead. It's a good place to start. :cmad:

JLBats said:
Would everyone be okay with metal detectors in schools?

It would significantly change the atmosphere of a place of learning.

better then being dead or shot and the problem are parents.

EDIt: i thought the article said he got the gun from his dad.

WHA??!?!
Even though I'm about to go to work, just thought I'd share this...

Wisconsin teacher (I think) says the solution to stop these shootings is...

..to give teachers guns.

Morons. :wow:

Just imagine if that armed weapon gets in the hands of the wrong teacher?

What the hell is wrong with people!? Seriously! this is getting out of hand!

How the hell does a 13 year old aquire a AK?

Is this thing contagious? I don't really think there's any way we can stop it, unless we introduce security measures like metal detectors etc. But in most cases that would be really impractical.

So, I guess it has to start with the parents.

Perhaps home schooling isn't going to remain so dorky-seeming after all.

It seems like school has turned into hell not just the gateway :(

I don;t know I can only speculate.
I know a friend took her kids out of public school due to teasing. It seems kids teasing has become much more vicious in then in my day. *reference poor webhead's thread being threaten more then once. But these kids are totally acting on emotion there's no rational. :csad: Maybe the schools should provide some sort of mental health counseling and that **** should be mandatory,clearly it's needed.

Of course many an adult could stand for some mental health counseling.

Don't make me...shoot a hole in the ceiling?
whadda dweeb.

BTW, this kid was 13, so don't worry. He knew what he was doing and it was for the best. :up:

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Don't make me...shoot a hole in the ceiling?
whadda dweeb.

"I'll do it, I swear!!:ninja:"

NOT THE ACOUSTIC TILES!!!! NooOOOooo, calm down, let's talk about this.

Kids today don't have the tough skin against bullies.

zzp20.jpg

You can't say **** to anyone these days, as everyone is a powderkeg. The only safe place to crack on someone is the internet, and even then if they have hacking skills....

Kids should start bringing guns to school to protect them from the kids bringing guns to school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"