42's Chadwick Boseman is James Brown

From now on, Boseman only gets to play real life people. Black Panther is off the table.

Actually James used to wear capes, so Boseman is playing both a real person and a superhero.

god i hope this movie is good. i love james brown so much. Boseman looks like he's actually doing pretty good with those dance moves...which are no easy task!

Youtube James Brown's full performance on the T.A.M.I show...it's insane!

I have nothing to say other than I live about 40 minutes away from a statue of James Brown in downtown Augusta.

The fourth wall will be broken...

http://www.slashfilm.com/chadwick-boseman-james-brown-first-look-get/

fawefawe_large-550x386.jpeg

Ha, Akroyd looks classic.

I dug it. I know they had to cut a lot of stuff and speed up production but Boseman gets the job done. James Brown did not act like the parody everyone seems to view him as, so this is accurate.

please let this be good...please let this be good...

Will the movie depict him as being the wife beater and suspected rapist?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brown

For the remainder of his life, Brown was repeatedly arrested for domestic violence. Adrienne Rodriguez, his third wife, had him arrested four times between 1987 and 1995 on charges of assault. In January 2004, Brown was arrested in South Carolina on a domestic violence charge after Tomi Rae Hynie accused him of pushing her to the floor during an argument at their home, where she suffered scratches and bruises to her right arm and hip. Later that year in June 2004, Brown pleaded no contest to the domestic violence incident, but served no jail time. Instead, Brown was required to forfeit a US$1,087 bond as punishment.[107]

In January 2005, a woman named Jacque Hollander filed a lawsuit against James Brown, which stemmed from an alleged 1988 forcible rape. When the case was initially heard before a judge in 2002, Hollander's claims against Brown were dismissed by the court as the limitations period for filing the suit had expired. Hollander claimed that stress from the alleged assault later caused her to contract Graves' Disease, a thyroid condition. Hollander claimed that the incident took place in South Carolina while she was employed by Brown as a publicist. Hollander alleged that, during her ride in a van with Brown, Brown pulled over to the side of the road and sexually assaulted her while he threatened her with a shotgun. In her case against Brown, Hollander entered as evidence a DNA sample and a polygraph result, but the evidence was not considered due to the limitations defense. Hollander later attempted to bring her case before the Supreme Court but nothing became of her complaint.[108]

Last edited:
I may be in the minority here,but I still wish Spike was doing this.So far this doesn't look bad.I hope they do James Brown justice in this film.

[YT]fLLeG49d52o[/YT]

Trailer 2. I dig the energy Boseman is putting into this man.

What real life historical figures will be featured in the film? Brown knew various folks over time, especially during his heyday. Will this include the night he "saved Boston"?

I wonder how much of the 70s and 80s will be dealt with?

Regarding rhythm & blues-derived music:

The 70s had the rise of psychedelic funk acts like Parliament - Funkadelic and Earth, Wind & Fire.. not to mention disco later in the decade.

The 1980s had the explosion of Michael Jackson and Prince, as well as the rise of rap.

Looks like a good movie, but the release date concerns me.

so...this movie is out now....its kind of a let down....chadwick was great though...i cant believe they screwed up the T.A.M.I. show....ugh.

Yeah, Boseman stole the flick as he should. He was flashy when he needed to be, and emotional the same. He got some range on him.

As expected the Black Bloggers over on Shadow and Act are furious that this film was made by white people.

And Brits at that. :oldrazz:

And Brits at that. :oldrazz:

Not all of them. Brian Grazer and Tate Taylor are American.

But they are furious nonetheless.

I wonder what the black posters here think about white people telling this black story? Or any black story? That blog site "Shadow and Act" gets upset whenever white people start to tell black stories. They would be enraged if Martin Scorsese did a film about Marvin Gaye or Jimi Hendrix or Steven Spielberg did a film about Jesse Owens or Jack Johnson.

As an Asian American, if white people started to tell our stories, I would be fine with it as long as they respect the Asian culture. I have no problems with Martin Scorsese directing Silence, because well...it's Martin Scorsese and the main protagonists are white anyways, even though the film is set in Japan. I didn't care much for 47 Ronin, because it didn't look good to begin with. I was fine with the Last Samurai being directed by a white director, because it was a really good movie.

Last edited:
FInally saw this. It was really good but mostly for the performances. Boseman is incredible if he isnt at least nominated for Best Actor I'll be shocked.
Nelsan Ellis was really good too as Bobby Byrd. Really good, mostly understated performance.

The problem with the movie for me is the editing. I didnt like how it jumped back and forth. An ambitious idea, but it didnt pan out. Also the breaking of 4th wall was a good idea, I liked when they did it. But I dont think they balanced it right. It wasnt in the movie enough to justify them using it imo.

Anyway, this isnt a great biopic. I dont think it'll be remembered as well as say Walk the Line or Ray. But the performances, especially by Boseman will last.

7/10

Would this film had done better at the box office if it wasn't released in August?

Probably. I didnt even realize that this wasnt doing that well. I did think this was weird to release it in August

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"