Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
Die Hard vs Lethal Weapon

Robocop vs The Terminator

Aliens vs Predator

Commando vs First Blood Part II

Time for the last Quater Final, lets see which movie will face Aliens in the other Semi Final.

VS

This REALLY is Sophie's Choice. Going to have to weigh up seriously, back in a bit.

Robocop is a great movie, but that first Terminator movie is one of my all-time favorites. I'm one of the minority that likes it even better than T2. Aside from a few dodgy special effects (which are also present in Robocop), it is a near perfect sci-fi thrill ride that never lets up.

Definitely Terminator for me, although it has as much to do with personal connection than anything else.

More gun to my head decisions...

Okay... Robocop has more layers than Terminator. It's an action film, it's sci- fi, it has horror elements, it's about the influence of corporations as much as it is about Murphy's transformation and regaining his humanity. And of course it's also a prophetic satire on both American culture, media and how we respond to things like technology. The production values are mostly still great even by today's standards. Basil's score is a wonder and rightly considered iconic, splicing rousing traditional sounding orchestration with more synthetic approaches as well to create a musical backdrop mirroring the mixing of man and machine in the film's titular hero. The script is engaging, entertaining and eminently quotable in the extreme. The cast brings it even in bit parts and Weller is maybe the only guy who could have played this in a way that raised the bar all around.

But once again... Cameron takes this for me, no offense to what Paul accomplished in Robocop.

Robocop is an all time classic but, uh, Terminator is just that much more, um... classier? Classicer? Whatever... It's a mini masterpiece. It in my opinion was the first film that leverages the SFX infrastructure that had been practically built from scratch by Lucas and employed by Spielberg up to to that point to make a movie that was in no way like a Lucas or Spielberg film in tone or story. It wasn't trying to be like Star Wars or Close Encounters. In Cameron's vision, nuclear war IS the happy ending in this story. This is not the story of underdogs making good with some clean and clear cut victory at the end leaving you with a smile in your heart. This is a tale of barely surviving a horrific and violent event whose purpose is to steel it's protagonist against future horrific struggles to come. Equally a sci fi action film and a horror movie drawing from the slasher film tradition it is perfectly paced, acted and designed. Cameron has a pitch perfect production design for this film and it adds to the visceral and tangible reality of the story despite the sci fi/fantasy elements. The trio of the main cast, Sarrah, Kyle and the Terminator himself could not have been portrayed better by anyone else in hindsight. Hamilton embodies the average 80's young single gal to a T, which is why we feel so much for her plight. She comes into here own in the story, gradually realizing how fate has plucked her from historical obscurity to be a key figure in the continuation of the survival of the species. Biehen as Kyle just perfectly encapsulates who and what the character should be. Desperate, driven to the edge of obsession, wirey, and yet likeable enough that we fear for him because we know the odds are against him. And of course... Arnold. Just... Arnold. There are two films where Arnold is almost an absolute necessity. That if he didn't exist he would have to be created in a lab for the expess reason to star in them. The first is Conan The Barbarian. The other is this film. This isn't just about physicality and the juxtaposition of Kyle against the Terminator. Arnold has a charisma and presence so undeniable that it transcends the limited characterization and dialog of the Terminator character in the film. He is not only perfect for the role but he makes the movie as the villain. Yeah... Those close up animotronic heads have not aged well, and sure, we can quibble about the obvious stop motion at the end (because, get this fanboys... it was more often than not easy to see and know SFX was being employed even before CGI. Thst stuff isn't any more real or have more weight or is less likely to momentarily take you out of a film than the digital effects of today. Sorry to punture your collective pose of authenticity but it's true...) but that doesn't take away from the masterclass in tension, simplicity of storytelling and action that Cameron puts on here. In fact in spite of any occasional wobbly VFX this film still works til this day.

This is a hard choice but I have to give it to Cameron here. Once more I just think he edges out equally esteemed competitors who are at his level in genre work with their movies. It's just once more in this case one film is just got the edge overall.

One of the hardest polls on this forum. If it was any other film out of the eight, I'd give to Robo. But T1 is a bit more dear for me.

I think animatronic heads aged more than well. Since everything today is clean and digital, yet they don't feel palpable and imperfect, unlike rubber heads. Neither suspend disbelief enough to not draw attention.

Robocop is about as close to a perfect movie in it's execution of it's ideas as you can get, much like Die Hard and it's execution of it's central concept. It nails the tragic story of Murphy which gives the film it's heart, it harpoons modern media with it's biting and funny satire, the SFX and performance of Weller bring the sci fi concept of the character to life beautifully, and Verhoeven's action is cleanly shot and precisely edited while being visceral and exciting.

The Terminator doesn't juggle quite as much as Robocop but it's sc fi action/horror chase movie premise is again perfectly executed, with the pacing allowing you to breath and invest in Kyle and Sarah inbetween the bursts of ballistic action as the duo desperately try to stay ahead of their relentless hunter. In the T-800 Arnold and Cameron created one of the most fearsome movie villains of all time, something forgotten in the 35 years since due to the almost parody levels that the latter films took the character to. Arnie, much like Weller, does a fantastic job of portraying this killer cyborg with his mannerisms and movements on top of his sheer physical presence. Cameron's film is industrial and gritty and makes you fear for the two heroes, but never loses sight of some hope, and much like Verhoeven he stages, shoots and edits his action to the highest level, watch either of these movies and compare them to many action films and you can see action is an art form just like every other aspect of filmmaking, and the SFX work here on the T-800 still holds up pretty well to this day for the most part.

So for me it comes down purely to which did I enjoy more and that's why I voted for The Terminator, the amount of times I've seen it vs the amount of times I've seen Robocop is the key for me, I think both are great films, but The Terminator is one of my all time favourites.

Battle of the Cyborgs eh - tie of the round this one for me.

For me it will have to be Robocop, one of the first 18/R rated films I saw, totally blew my mind, to this day the torture scene of Murphy is horrific and unmatched in terms of shock value. The 80's satire, the better action than T1, the best performance from Weller as half-man, half-machine is unmatched by anything in T1, as good as that is but I am more of a fan of T2 to be honest anyway.

Robocop defined the action scene of the 80's for me, it had everything, action, horror, ultra-violence, comedy, blood squibs Tarantino would be proud of and touched on theme's other similar sci-fi films tried to go into but failed to reach in what it means to be human (only Bladerunner is better perhaps or at least even with it in that regard). A unique film that I doubt we will see anything quite like ever again.

Such a shame to see what both these franchises have been turned into over the years though considering their lofty starts, sigh.

Anyone who eats baby food and can still kick that much a** deserves my vote though, so Robocop defeats the T-800 for me. One of my favourite films EVER, period. Heck there was even a comic run of Robocop v The Terminator which was great as well. To be fair I think both these films deserve to go through to a semi-final but alas there must only be one.

PS: the 30th? anniversary blu-ray special edition is incredible which means it still looks great today.

Terminator
And i thought Robocop was great.

Robocop vs. Terminator is such a big deal they even made a game about it.

After much deliberation, gonna plump for Robocop.

Terminator for me

giphy.gif

I loved Robocop, it was great & is equally a classic, but T1 was just more of a classic.

This is an insanely tough choice. Both are brilliant for very different reasons. I'm going to err slightly towards Terminator as that's the one I've rewatched more and subconsciously must have a preference for it, but it's a very close thing - like 49%/51%. It's got slightly more tension and fear I think. Helped that Arnold was a pretty unknown quantity then too in terms of acting.

LongMellowChafer-size_restricted.gif

Both of these are among my favorites, but I have a softer spot for Robocop in this battle. But, it's by a slim margin.

I'm actually surprised by how close the poll is, especially considering how much of a blowout what was it Die Hard vs Lethal Weapon(?) was.

I thought this was going to be another landslide for Terminator, even though I did like Robocop I thought there would have been a lot more that liked T1.

I would imagine it's coin-toss for most of us. There is barely a cheese cracker between them in terms of the quality of the films.

This was a close one, just 3 votes in it, but in the end the T-800 had a bit too much for Robocop.

1524773707440342084.gif

So the Semi-finals are set!

Die Hard vs Commando

Aliens vs The Terminator

Awesome. I know who I'm voting for in both.

Terminator for me, as I watched the **** out of that as a kid! Was blown away by the SFX, cinematography, cast, score, script, etc. Still holds up for the most part, aside from this moment! Lol!

F066955C-96A8-4B28-BC34-38EB20E26841.jpeg

RoboCop is just as great for these reasons, though! Really tough decision, but I grew up on Terminator 1 and 2!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"