• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

9 Marvel Trademarks Reveal Future Superhero Line-Ups

babykhris

Civilian
Reaction score
December of this past year a number of trademarks were filed by Marvel, and at the time things seemed rather suspicious considering just how many of these titles were related to upcoming movies, but with the news that has surfaced since the rumors first came about, this would have to be much more than mere coincidence.
All of the titles filed for trademarks are now related to a current and/or previous Marvel Studios projects:
Age Of Ultron
Alpha Flight
Black Panther
Guardians Of The Galaxy
New Warriors
Rocket Raccoon
Strikeforce Morituri
Journey Into Mystery
Irredeemable Ant Man

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/05...nal,manual,manual,manual,manual,manual#!VcRir

I am somewhat suspicious of the Alpha Flight one, as I am near certain Fox has the rights to it (after all, two members of Alpha Flight did technically appear in XO: W.)

Maybe Alpha Flight is shared and according to article Big Hero 6 is a spin off of that.

Initially I was very excited for Black Panther. I wonder if they will do a movie, or a miniseries for him too? I personally would prefer to see him on the small screen (lately for some odd reason I have been preferring superhero tv shows to movies).

However what draws my attention from BP is Rocket Raccoon. I say this because it puzzles me... Are Marvel planning on doing other things with that character movie/show wise post GotG or are they possibly going for other unknown things? I have theories, but they're probably more wrong than my initial ideas for movies/shows.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Maybe Alpha Flight is shared and according to article Big Hero 6 is a spin off of that.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's true. Sunfire and Big Hero 6 was still the first released issue of the team from what I understand. There's only like 9 comic issues total of them and 8 of those are their own. They had an early appearance in Alpha Flight 17 but that's about it. It may have been intended during writing to be their introduction but don't think it was released that way.

Be interesting if Marvel does own Alpha Flight.

Last edited:
What makes us think these trademarks are all for movies, as opposed to cartoons or TV shows? Assuming its factual, and assuming they aren't "just in case" filings.

I am somewhat suspicious of the Alpha Flight one, as I am near certain Fox has the rights to it (after all, two members of Alpha Flight did technically appear in XO: W.)

"Agents of SHIELD" referenced a Canadian government metahuman project called "Department H," the organization that sponsored Alpha Flight.

What makes us think these trademarks are all for movies, as opposed to cartoons or TV shows? Assuming its factual, and assuming they aren't "just in case" filings.

I'm sure at least some of these are for TV shows, cartoons, and animated fare (including DVD/BRs). A lot of them seem aimed at teenage or younger audiences, and could indicate kiddie shows.

I recently started collecting all of the issues of the 1980's main run and mini-series of Alpha Flight and think that it would be great if they make it to the small or big screen. Their origin was told within the X-Men books but the connection was never a vital one. I would really be surprised if FOX presently or ever owned exclusivity use rights for Alpha Flight. I'm sure they're at Marvel Studios and available for the MCU.

Give me Canadian Superheros now and later Captain Britain to boot! USA, USA, USA!!!

A lot of this seems like renewing trademarks for the sake of not allowing them to expire/allowing them to be used for upcoming comics.

For one, I don't think that Rocket Raccoon will get his own film instead of a Guardians sequel any time in the near future.

Alpha Flight is an X-Men team. I'm almost positive that Fox owns them since they already had Guardian and Vindicator in XMOW and Northstar is also an X-Man. Plus, the leaked Deadpool script included Wyre in it. I'm inclined to say that if Marvel is involved in this in any way, it's allowing Fox to do an X-Men TV show since the small screen X-Men rights are complicated and a co-production is needed. That and there hasn't been an Alpha Flight ongoing for a good long while.

New Warriors is possible but there's also the issue of Firestar who's a Spider-Man sidekick. It's probably a comics relaunch since Gazillion Entertainment said that they can't add Nova to Marvel Heroes until a certain comics event happens this year. It's probably a comics relaunch.

Guardians of the Galaxy and Age of Ultron are related to the films. Those two are certain.

Journey Into Mystery may be a comics relaunch of the title once Jason Aaron's run on the title ends or it could be the subtitle of Thor 3. It's hard to say.

Ant-Man is just titled Ant-Man for the film, this is obviously comics related, presumably for collected editions since next to nobody likes Eric O'Grady anyway.

Black Panther is probably for both film and comics since he's rumored to be part of Phase 3 or 4 and currently lacks a solo ongoing series.

Strikeforce Morituri sounds like Marvel getting the TV rights back that they leased a while back although it may be for a comics relaunch. Given that Black Panther and Captain Marvel are the films being hinted at by Feige and I don't see a Strikeforce Morituri ongoing happening when Doctor Strange and Luke Cage don't have solo titles right now, it's probably just for brand protection and regaining the TV rights.

This article is making a lot out of nothing except possibly Black Panther.

Keep in mind that if this were the slate for Phases 3 and 4, we'd ahve heard some buzz about them. The only things that we've heard from Marvel Studios for the near future that haven't begun production are Captain America 3, Thor 3 and Doctor Strange which are in pre-production along with Lou Ferigno hinting at a Hulk 2. That's probably your Phase 3 slate right there. Then there are the properties that Marvel is planning on developing for Phase 4 which have gotten name dropped. Those are Blade, Black panther, Captain Marvel and Inhumans.

Even with Television, Marvel is likely to start their second wave of TV shows with Moon Knight, Runaways and Punisher since those are popular characters.

Does anyone here see Marvel abandoning any of those for a solo Rocket Raccoon film or Strikeforce Morituri? I certainly don't, nor has the studio name-dropped them. These are probably projects that are a long way off if they aren't related to comics since there are other, more popular properties to mine that audiences will at least be familiar with.

Even if Marvel doesn't own the rights of the "Negative Zone" for now, I'd be happy if they go explore the "Savage Land", I mean they trademarked a lot of things hopefully they explore these things into vast points of fictional areas in the MCU, Savage Land is one of the best IMO.

So no captain marvel :cmad:

Although at least black panther is there :)

Even if Marvel doesn't own the rights of the "Negative Zone" for now, I'd be happy if they go explore the "Savage Land", I mean they trademarked a lot of things hopefully they explore these things into vast points of fictional areas in the MCU, Savage Land is one of the best IMO.

I love me some Savage Land, and I'd really like to see it in the MCU in some capacity. I don't see Savage Land on the list of copyrights in this thread, though. Did I miss something?

So no captain marvel :cmad:

Although at least black panther is there :)

Don't read this article as the *only* trademarks Marvel snagged; just recent ones. "Captain Marvel" has been trademarked by Marvel for a *long* time now.

I recently started collecting all of the issues of the 1980's main run and mini-series of Alpha Flight and think that it would be great if they make it to the small or big screen. Their origin was told within the X-Men books but the connection was never a vital one. I would really be surprised if FOX presently or ever owned exclusivity use rights for Alpha Flight. I'm sure they're at Marvel Studios and available for the MCU.

Give me Canadian Superheros now and later Captain Britain to boot! USA, USA, USA!!!
Alpha Flight was the first title I collected seriously back in the early 80's so I'm sure you've been enjoying it. Byrne did a hell of a job with this team. I too would love it if Marvel Studios owned the property but doubt it's the case. I fear Fox would deviate too much to the look and feel of what mad those early issues great. As unlikely as it seams maybe one day we could get an animated version of the formation of this awesome Canadian super team.

Journey Into Mystery would be great subtitle for Thor 3 movie, exlporing magic aspects of MCU after Scarlet Witch and Dr Strange even further (Enchantress anyone?)

I find it hard to believe Marvel Studio's would own the rights to Alpha Flight when it's pretty much exclusively tied to mutants/X-Men, specifically Wolverine.

Also, if these are movie trademarks they seem a bit odd. Journey Into Mystery? Strikeforce Morituri?! Really? Talk about the most obscure of the obscure.

I find it hard to believe Marvel Studio's would own the rights to Alpha Flight when it's pretty much exclusively tied to mutants/X-Men, specifically Wolverine.

Also, if these are movie trademarks they seem a bit odd. Journey Into Mystery? Strikeforce Morituri?! Really? Talk about the most obscure of the obscure.

Its not impossible, the Inhumans and Namor are both have their own film rights rather than being part of the Fantastic Four.

Its not impossible, the Inhumans and Namor are both have their own film rights rather than being part of the Fantastic Four.

Yeah, but Namor wouldn't be part of the FF rights since he's the first hero in Marvel's 616 Universe. He'd had his own comics for 20 years before the FF were created, plus he's also both an Avenger and X-Man.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Namor wouldn't be part of the FF rights since he's the first hero in Marvel's 616 Universe. He'd had his own comics for 20 years before the FF were created, plus he's also both an Avenger and X-Man.

And in all likelihood, Marvel made an exception for the Inhumans when they were at the negotiation tables something like "You can have all characters that originated in the pages of the Fantastic 4 except for The Kree, The Inhumans, Adam Warlock, and Black Panther" was actually written in the clause.

My reading on the Alpha Flight situation is Marvel might have the rights to the non-mutant characters and to the concept (Canadian Department H Superhero team), similar to Big Hero 6. There are several Non-Mutant X-verse characters that might be split rights (Captain Marvel, The Sh'iar, Wendigo, Sasquatch.)

Doesn't Marvel Studios have the rights to Ka-Zar and the Savage Land, despite being an X-Men associated property?

Doesn't Marvel Studios have the rights to Ka-Zar and the Savage Land, despite being an X-Men associated property?

That was also when it was reported that Cable and Dazzler were being considered by Marvel Studios when those are characters that I'm absolutely positive are over at Fox. I'm not sure who owns Ka-Zar and Shanna but I'm assuming it's Marvel. As for the Savage Land itself, it's probably shared since there's too much history with the Savage Land with the X-men to not use it but there's also a ton of history with the Savage Land and other properties.

Keep in mind that these rights keep shifting with time as contracts get renegotiated. We're at a point where Fox and Marvel are going to see a lot of overlap so it'll be incredibly naive to assume that more rights won't be shared in the future, particularly since Marvel will want the Guardians of the Galaxy to be involved with the Shi'Ar and Badoon and be allowed to bring Captain America to Madrippor.

Also, I still maintain that we won't see Strike Force Morituri until we get Moon Knight and Punisher TV shows and Captain Marvel and Black Panther movies.

I love that they're considering New Warriors. I wonder if they'd treat them like a junior Avengers team.

Keep in mind that these rights keep shifting with time as contracts get renegotiated. We're at a point where Fox and Marvel are going to see a lot of overlap so it'll be incredibly naive to assume that more rights won't be shared in the future, particularly since Marvel will want the Guardians of the Galaxy to be involved with the Shi'Ar and Badoon and be allowed to bring Captain America to Madrippor.

Who owns the rights to Madripoor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"