90 Church - Breaking Bad Writer Adapting Narcotics Squad Story

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/universal-sets-breaking-bads-george-mastras-to-script-90-church/
Universal Sets ‘Breaking Bad’s George Mastras To Pen Cop-Mafia Clash ‘90 Church’
By MIKE FLEMING JR

Universal Pictures has set Emmy-nominated Breaking Bad writer/producer George Mastras to adapt the Dean Unkefer book 90 Church: The True Story Of The Narcotics Squad From Hell to be directed by its Snow White And The Huntsman director Rupert Sanders. The project will be produced by Huntsman’s Joe Roth and Palak Patel, who’ll produce with Deborah Giarratana.

90 Church refers to the address of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics when it was formed in New York City to combat organized crime and drug traffic in the mid-1960s through early ’70s. While the FBI refused even to acknowledge organized crime, 30 agents stood alone against a well-organized Mafia and vicious drug cartels. To survive against impossible odds, the agents used incredibly brutal and cunning tactics to make cases and bring the war to a stalemate. Using an ever-expanding network of criminal informants held together by secret immunity deals, the sinister reputation of 90 Church grew along with the rising body count. The book is fictionalized but based on true events, written by one of the agents who worked in the Federal Bureau of Narcotics. That bureau later merged with another and became the DEA. The studio bought the book preemptively last summer.

Mastras, who was Emmy-nominated for writing the Dead Freight episode in Breaking Bad‘s final season, is repped by CAA and manager Dan Halsted.
Breaking Bad writer + Narcotics agents doing shady **** to get stuff done? I'm in.

It's a great little book, the whole time I was reading it I was thinking it would make a great movie. You basically see an honest guy who believes in truth, justice and the American way joining with the best intention, become a product of the Bureau's environment. Really interested to see how they adapt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"