A Sequel to John Woo’s Hard Boiled is in Development

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/08/a-sequel-to-john-woos-hard-boiled-is-in-development/#more-21994

John Woo’s production company Lion Rock Entertainment is developing a big screen sequel to the classic 1992 Hong Kong action film Hard Boiled. Screenwriters Jeremy Passmore (Special) and Andre Fabrizio (upcoming John Carpenter film The Prince) are penning the adaption of the Woo-produced 2007 video game Strangehold, which was an official sequel to Hard Boiled and featured star Chow Yun-Fat reprising his role as hard-boiled cop Inspector “Tequila” Yuen. I assume the film being developed for American audiences, as American screenwriters are attached. Which makes me wonder if this would be a real sequel to Hard Boiled, or a stand-alone film which could function as a sequel to Hard Boiled in an alternative universe where the first film took place in the United States (and some people thought Watchmen was confusing?).

The original film has garnered cult status and is considered one of the greatest and most influential action films of all time (#9) and of the the top cult films of all time (#18) by Entertainment Weekly . Empire Magazine said that it was “more exciting than a dozen Die Hard’s” and even went on to include the film’s lead protagonist, Tequila, as #33 on their list of the greatest movie characters of all time. The film includes a famous action sequence in a burning hospital that was shot in one long take lasting 2 minutes and 42 seconds with a single handheld camera. If you haven’t seen Hard Boiled, you really should. Normally I’d recommend Netflixing the movie, but this time I’m going to tell you just to buy it — there is no excuse not to own it. Amazon is selling copies of the double disc Ultimate edition for around $11. Strangely enough, the PlayStation 3 version of the Collector’s Edition of Stranglehold contains the only high-definition version of the film currently available as a bonus option.

Tequila tracks a suspect to the US and John Woo is allowed to direct with no restrictions then maybe....maybe......this could work.

I never saw the first one, but I plan to. I guess this could work, we'll see.

Tequila tracks a suspect to the US and John Woo is allowed to direct with no restrictions then maybe....maybe......this could work.

Ditto. I loved the first one... and there is no way that I'd watch a 'requel' without Woo AND Yun-Fat involved.

I don't think Gammy is going to like this, especially if Woo, himself, is not directing it. :o

I'm always uneasy about sequels being made so far after the fact. And I have such a ridiculous love for the original, I will watch the development cautiously.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Hard-Boiled needs to be seen to be believed.

this probably won't happen anyway. John Woo takes 30 years to make a movie these days.

Go ahead, it's not like it could hurt the original.

which is overrated if you ask me. Yes, the finale is great, but the action before that is standard fare, and the plot is told terribly... not that it was very unique either.

That said... I'm down for a sequel. I just want more Woo

Disagree completely with the last two posts *resists Guy Richie dig*

I think you are right though Octoberist, it's pie in the sky stuff and Woo will be very cautious about coming back to the US after Paycheck.

Yeah, but I didn't take a shot at John Woo now did I? Just Hard-Boiled. ;) Next time just say that Rocknrolla sucks or something. :p

It's all good. :up:

Hard Boiled = Die Hard in a Hospital..... Mr. Woo = GOD

This reminds me , I need to pick up Hard Boiled on dvd. I'm not interested in the remake.
I thought they did a bad job with Bangkok Dangerous by putting Nicolas Cage in the wrong setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"