ADI Goblin Make up test what Green Goblin was gonna look like

That's some pretty damn good make up, I like it.

Yes, it's very good and I like it very much, but... I don't know why, but I don't think it would have worked.

I like it, but for some reason I think it would have looked kind of cheesy. Maybe we need to see it 100% all done and in costume.

I liked what we got for the most part. I agree it needed some work but I thought it held up really well in the night time scenes.

Agreed that it needs to be worked on if it didn't want to come out as cheesy, which that video does, but, that and what we got were still chessy, imo.

I understand that the GG mask in SM1 is part of an armored suit but does anyone know why they ditched the make-up mask in the first place? Too expensive or something??

See that was the way they should have gone. Can you imagine that with Willem Dafoe's already creepy as **** face?

Maybe dirty it up a bit, make the texture of the skin a bit rougher. But it's vastly superior to the Power Ranger esque mask we got in the finished film.

It still baffles me to this day why they got Dafoe, then covered his entire face up in that mask. The best Goblin moment of the movie was him talking into the mirror.

They didn't go with the expressive mask for the same reason as the mech webshooters- they felt it would be too hard to explain its existance. And yes, the overall design of the Goblin suit they at first wanted to use would've been too expensive.

I understand the latter argument, but not the former. As Iron Man and so many films since have shown, if the audience likes what they see, the improbability of it doesn't matter. Again, we're talking about a story with a guy being able to climb walls after a spider-bite.

This mask would've worked perfectly and added dimensions to the character. There'd be no reson to worry about it looking cheesy- we're only seeing tests with poor lighting and camera angles. The only thing I think they should've worked on was the eyes.

They didn't go with the expressive mask for the same reason as the mech webshooters- they felt it would be too hard to explain its existance. And yes, the overall design of the Goblin suit they at first wanted to use would've been too expensive.

I understand the latter argument, but not the former. As Iron Man and so many films since have shown, if the audience likes what they see, the improbability of it doesn't matter. Again, we're talking about a story with a guy being able to climb walls after a spider-bite.

This mask would've worked perfectly and added dimensions to the character. There'd be no reson to worry about it looking cheesy- we're only seeing tests with poor lighting and camera angles. The only thing I think they should've worked on was the eyes.

I'm not saying that they were right, but I do see where they were coming from.

Things like Spider-Man & Green Goblin's superpowers are covered by the Anthropic Principle. They are central conceits without which, there is no story, so the audience is automatically expected to suspend their disbelief. Mechanical webshooters and an expressive mask, on the other hand, have nothing to do with these conceits, and perhaps might not be covered under that principle. On the other hand, this didn't stop Spider-Man and Green Goblin from wearing elaborate costumes without justification.

I personally really do like the Green Goblin design in the movie. Dafoe helps it a lot. It could be better though.

Sometimes it looked a little goofy (but sometimes he did in the comics too). At night though, I think he looked great. I really like it in Aunt May's room, with the fire and orange light reflecting on him.

gg2pu.jpg

I personally really do like the Green Goblin design in the movie. Dafoe helps it a lot. It could be better though.

Sometimes it looked a little goofy (but sometimes he did in the comics too). At night though, I think he looked great. I really like it in Aunt May's room, with the fire and orange light reflecting on him.

gg2pu.jpg

It was a lot better than the Alex Ross piece of crap that many praise.
greengoblin_concepts_full.jpg

Yeah that looks great.

For something from the Star Wars prequels. :o

I love it, and it depresses me that they abandoned the idea.

But then again, the forehead appears to be controlled remotely, which would have limited Dafoe's performance. The only part of him we'd really see is his mouth. As an actor, I imagine it would be quite frustrating knowing that somebody else is shaping the physicality of your performance.

Last edited:
Of course, the mask we got stripped Dafoe of any facial acting :o.

Besides his mouth and sometimes his eyes. :D

But for the most part, his eyes are covered and his mouth is pretty well silhouetted. Thank God for those close-up, intimate scenes between Green Goblin and Spidey.

Dafoe would've made it awesome if he was just wearing a green robe.

Dafoe is a creepy looking dude. He could have pulled just about anything off between his crazy facial expressions and acting ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"