ALL NEW Bought/Thought - November 14, 2012

JewishHobbit

Avenger
Reaction score
So, decent sized week for me. Six issues! Let's get on with it...

All New X-Men #1 - I've been listening to the slamming people are giving this book before it even comes out, for months now. I've been keeping up hope that Bendis is going to do something good here, and I could just assume that Immonen would be fantastic as always. All the crap puking and whining that people do about Bendis gets old and I was just really hoping to enjoy the issue.

Fortunately, I loved it. It's basically just setting up what we already know but I'm glad to find that Bendis seems to have everyone's voice down. Beast is apparently going through another mutation and he fears it will kill him. Looking at the world as Cyclops is making it, he takes a note from Bobby (who didn't realize Hank would take him literally) and goes in the past to recruit a young Scott Summers to, in essence, talk current Cyke out of committing mutant genocide. Yes, there's questions regarding the time-stream and all that but I'll wait to see what Bendis has to say on it in future issues. I don't need everything spoonfed to me at once.

On the Cyclops side of things, alongside Magik, Magneto, and Emma... he is going around the world rescuing new mutants with hopes of them joining him so he might redeam himself. Bendis handles this very well and introduces two new mutants who seem interesting.

All in all, Bendis did a fantastic job with the issue and I find myself anticipating the next issue. Good job, Bendis :up:

Eat that haters!

X-Men Legacy #1 - The other new X-Men launch this week. Unlike pretty much everyone on the hype, I was eagerly anticipating this issue! I've loved Legion since Legion Quest in the 90s and loved the arc of Legacy that Carey wrote focusing on him. I feel that there's a lot of potential there and I was eager to see how a series focusing on him played out.

It sucked.

The first, most noticable thing, that turned me off was the art. I've heard of Tan Eng Huat. I know I've read other things by him and wasn't impressed but this was just bad. It took me out of the story from the very beginning. The next thing was the scripting. I don't mind reading a lot of text but at least make it interesting. Spurrier wrote an issue so chalk full of words that just hit me in the forehead and bounced off that I was just eagerly anticipating the issue to end... and it took forever to get there. Third... the plot. I didn't care about anything happening.

The whole thing was basically Legion in some community where a guru helps broken people. We see inside his head and how the Guru is helping him destroy some of the personalities in his head. Some of the personalities aren't happy about it. Due to a tremor of Xavier's death Legion accidentally kills everyone in the community and is alone.

It wasn't a bad plot but it was tedious to read. The good thing though is that from here he's sorta on the run and I'm hoping that the plot and script improve. The art's gonna suck no matter what I'm assuming but I can deal with that. I figure I'm going to give this book another 2 or 3 issues and if it doesn't improve then I'm gone. Having been relaunched, I no longer feel an attachment to the title.

Wolverine & the X-Men 20 - To be honest... I sorta didn't care for this issue. Aaron's title is usually good but I think I just sorta don't give a crap about Angel. I don't like what he's become and I wish he would have just died in Uncanny X-Force.

Also, I hate sharks. They freak me out. So this new mutant girl turning into a shark wasn't very "cool" for me. It gave me chills when she went all evil shark-mode. Also, Mystique showing up here in the midsts of what she's doing over in Uncanny X-Force was just awkward. The lobster kid was just silly-looking and the group that Kilgore (I think that's his name) was pulling together is wierd. It looks like it's Wendigo, Sauron, a female Mojo, and other people.

I don't know, I just wasn't feeling this issue. It wasn't bad really, just alright. I think Angel being the focus hurt it for me.

New Avengers 33 - The second to last issue and MAN did Oeming's art hurt the book! I just don't like his art and it does NOT fit this title or this story. It hurts me to even look at it. Oh, and the cover has nothing to do with the interior. Jessica all bloody on the ground... she's barely even in it, and she's fine.

I mean, the issue is alright, besides Spider-Man being written a bit wierd, but any enjoyment I could have gotten from the plot was rendered void. The art just killed me. This issue, due to that, will be a blemish in my New Avengers collection. :(

Batman & Robin 14 - This title in on the drop-bubble for me. I was going to drop it but after looking through some comics I realized that I've actually enjoyed this book more than Batwoman, so I'm switching it up and Batwoman is dropped and B&R is being given a bit more time to wow me again, like it did in the first arc.

The issue was decent, though the 2-issue arc was pretty plain. The next should be good though, as it ties into the Death of the Family story. I will say this though, Tomasi writes a good Robin and that's why I stay with the title. In my opinion, he does a better job than Morrison even. And I love Gleason's art. He shared duties here but ever since Green Lantern Corps I've just loved Gleason's vision. I'd love to see him do some Marvel, primarilly some Iron Fist or X-Men.

Batman 14 - Death of the Family part 2 and it's just as good as the first. Batman goes after Joker after Jarvis goes missing and Gordon nearly dies. They have a confrontation and Joker reveals that he's discovered who Bruce and all those connected to him really are... and he's going after them with the help of some sort of book of Bruce's that he's discovered (Xavier Protocols perhaps? :D).

The main story was great but I found I didn't care for the back up. It felt useless, much like the Harley one last issue and the Alfred ones during the Night of Owls issues. I wish DC would just drop them and make the title $2.99. That'd make me so much happier.

The story was very good and Capullo's art was great as always. This, following the Court of Owls, is making for an astounding run by Scott Snyder. I hope he's on the book for the long haul. I can't wait to hear what he has planned next.

Also, I hate di-cut covers. I hated that issue 13 had no alternative to it, but then I saw a new edition today that was normal. I don't usually go for second printings or variants but this one didn't say either of those things on the cover... I just don't know if I want to spend another $4 on a comic I already have. Plus, I sorta have to have first prints or it bugs me. Should I or shouldn't I buy it? I'll have to ponder this.

Best and Worst of the Week

Best: All New X-Men 1 - This honestly was no contest. Most of the week was disappointing save for Batman and I enjoyed ANX a tad more than that. I think Bendis is off to a great start. He has a better voice for the X-Characters than he did for the Avengers Characters. There were no "Bendisisms" as people call them. It was just a good, straight-forward comic, and it got me eager for the next issue. Good job :up:

Worst: X-Men Legacy 1 - I am so disappointed with this issue and am really hoping that it picks up, a lot. It was just so tedious and boring. To make matters worse, Spurrier's mentioned wanting to use Chamber soon and I feel almost obligated to follow the book for HIM. 2 to 3 issues though, that's all I'm giving it, if that.

Last edited:
Glad to see that I am not the only one who loved All New X-men! I picked this up just to check it out, but after this issue I think I will add it to my pull.

Batman was awesome, nuff said.

Marvel Now is going great! Not a single dud out of the books I'm getting so far

All New X-men #1: There is a lot going on and Bendis does a good job balancing everything. I thought Cyclops was very justified. It's nice seeing mutants being proactive and I totally understand Cyclops not wanting to be victimized anymore. What I thought was great was how past Beast was written as fed up with humans. Bendis got everyone's voice right. Storm was the rational voice of reason, and I loved Bobby's quip about Hank no shaving. I can't wait to read more!

The Mighty Thor #1: Gorgeous artwork and compelling story! I really like how the God Butcher was weaved throughout the three time periods. Young Thor's dialogue was hilarious, and I loved current Thor's contemplative search for those missing Gods. Future Thor I felt was the weakest, but not enough to detract from the issue.

Fantastic Four #1: Great tone and great premise! I've never read the Fantastic Four before, but I definitely got a sense of what they stand for. I really like how the family was emphasized, and Fraction already has a couple of story lines that i'm looking forward to seeing play out. I can't wait to see more this education trip! The art was great too.

Marvel Now is going great! Not a single dud out of the books I'm getting so far

All New X-men #1: There is a lot going on and Bendis does a good job balancing everything. I thought Cyclops was very justified. It's nice seeing mutants being proactive and I totally understand Cyclops not wanting to be victimized anymore. What I thought was great was how past Beast was written as fed up with humans. Bendis got everyone's voice right. Storm was the rational voice of reason, and I loved Bobby's quip about Hank no shaving. I can't wait to read more!

The Mighty Thor #1: Gorgeous artwork and compelling story! I really like how the God Butcher was weaved throughout the three time periods. Young Thor's dialogue was hilarious, and I loved current Thor's contemplative search for those missing Gods. Future Thor I felt was the weakest, but not enough to detract from the issue.

Fantastic Four #1: Great tone and great premise! I've never read the Fantastic Four before, but I definitely got a sense of what they stand for. I really like how the family was emphasized, and Fraction already has a couple of story lines that i'm looking forward to seeing play out. I can't wait to see more this education trip! The art was great too.
I agree with you on all points :D

also loved how Immomen drew Bobby

Glad to see that I am not the only one who loved All New X-men! I picked this up just to check it out, but after this issue I think I will add it to my pull.
I thought it was pretty decent as well. I am looking foward to what happens next. :)

I also picked up the Thor #1 and it was just as great as the art promos suggested it would be. I am glad I didn't let it pass me by. :)

Wow, I've not heard this much praise over a Bendis-written issue since he left Alias and Daredevil.

I've always liked Bendis. :p Guess I am in the minority.

Yes, lol. Squeekness is a gurl! :D

Five comics, a mercifully below average quantity week as my wallet needed the break. Onward with the spoilerizing!

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 11/14/12:

INVINCIBLE #97: It rarely is a good omen when a writer uses a spare character as a mouth piece to explain his intentions to the audience with big speech ballons. As this creator owned series by Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley winds up to a centennial issue, we get this issue which can be summed up in one word: odd. After appearing as one of many background heroes for years and replacing Mark Grayson as Invincible recently, Bulletproof finally explains his origin. It involves an evil twin brother and pretending to be him, and ends with he and his girlfriend murdering his own parents. It really is great to have gotten past the era of every African American superhero being some sort of criminal (falsely or not), right? A reference to SEA BEAR AND GRIZZLY SHARK seems to hint that this sequence is partly intended as dark humor; it didn't quite work all the way for me. And then we have a page long tirade by the "comic within a comic" creator of Science Dog explaining that creators do weird **** on their own books and when big numbered issues come up, it's time to shake things up like it's a BOGGLE game. There's a reference to comic con with a WALKING DEAD cosplayer and I did sense a bit of self indulgence here. The issue ends with Mark getting his powers back during a bit of "recreation" with Eve. While I've nothing against superhero sex, the entire resolution of that subplot unfolding in such a manner reminds me of the sorts of ideas Mark Millar or Brian Bendis would consider good - which means it is a bit juvenile. This is the first issue in a while to feature no art by co-creator Cory Walker, and one can imagine Ottley got a bit of lead-in time from Walker's flashback bits. As the first issue to focus on most of the major characters after an arc of "THE AWKWARD MARRIAGES AND MONARCHIES OF ROBOT & MONSTER GIRL", it didn't all quite click to me. The artwork is great as always. And there are sequences and lines and panels that I liked or thought were clever. But maybe that "creator admission" was a bit on the nose; Kirkman is in a rut on this book and is in a phase where he performs free association and goes with whims in an attempt to find longer term inspiration and avoid it. While it is a nice that Kirkman admits this to his readers, that doesn't exactly negate it; if merely admitting something messed up made it go away, there'd be no addicts.

I am at a crossroads here. I have enjoyed INVINCIBLE for years and enjoy the characters and world it has created. I am eager to see what the broader goals of issue 100 will be and what the big plan is. However, this issue reminded me too much of "JUMP THE SHARK" from ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, which is a story where the writer literally injects himself into a panel and yucks, "Yeah, I'm coasting and just filling pages with crazy crap until I get my head on right, please pay for it at the register, sucker!" and that usually is the beginning of the end of a long commitment on a comic for me. I wasn't angry, and I didn't hate the issue, but I was disappointed in a manner I never have been with an issue of INVINCIBLE, and that's a rare feeling from me on this series. I certainly hope it does not continue, because this is too good a series to end on such a note. I fear Robert Kirkman may be reaching a point where his own internal editor has quit and his Id has control of the script, and very few writers can maintain that quality unless things sort out. It may be time Kirkman calls it a run or a series on this before this creation devolves into a series of sketches, like "FAMILY GUY" and other Seth MacFarlane shows have where plots don't exist and moment to moment bits in a row with credits as barriers are all that keep episodes apart. Here's hoping the next three issues right the ship.

SAGA #7: If it seems like it has been quite a while between issues of this spectacular creator owned series by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples from Image Comics, that is only because it has been. While Staples is the regular artist as well as the co-creator who handles pencils, inks, colors, and some of the lettering, meeting a monthly schedule is a chore for her without "lead in" time. To that end, the series went on a hiatus after August's sixth issue so that Staples could have a couple of months of time to get back to schedule and Image Comics could sell the trade paperback of the first arc of this series for the astonishingly cheap price of $9.99. However, the panels have been drawn, the script has been written and after a two month break, SAGA is ready to dazzle readers once more.

When readers last left the infamous intergalactic duo of Marko and Alana (and their hybrid daughter Hazel), they had fled to space in a mystical rocket-tree (it makes more sense when one reads it), only to find themselves invaded by Marko's parents. The issue starts off with a flashback to frame things properly as well as establish what a hard-line family Marko had in regards to the endless cosmic war between the mystical moon Wreath (home of horned mystics) and the planet Landfall (home of winged technological soldiers). This issue essentially typifies the general crux of the series in that while Marko and Alana have allowed love to supersede generational war between species, everyone around them has not. This includes Alana's new in-laws, who promptly start trouble which winds up involving more magical spells, secrets and giant naked ogres on other planets.

As always, SAGA is the sort of pleasure to read but is challenging to review because there are only so many ways to say, "it's awesome". Vaughan's dialogue is adept at mixing exposition with character progression and a sense of humor when most needed. Each issue fleshes out the two main stars as well as continues to seamlessly add more characters to the cast which aid in that progress. Yet despite Vaughan's skill with the keyboard, it would all be for naught without Staples' career defining work on this series. From flashbacks to facial expressions to all manner of wild and wacky creatures, Staples handles it all and does the presentation of this sci-fi world with a skill which appears effortless - which symbolizes how good she is. While the angle of an infant being a MacGuffin is hardly the most original fantasy plot point, it is the execution and presentation of it which makes SAGA such a wonder to behold.

In short, everything which has been written about SAGA is true. The hype is real. It is no accident that the first few issues were reprinted so many times and it is one of Image's best selling titles which isn't in Robert Kirkman's wheelhouse. If one isn't reading this, pick up the cheaply priced trade and catch up quickly on the latest gem in the Brian K. Vaughan library.

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #4: In a sign that sanity has finally penetrated other comic book publishers, this is the finale of the first arc of Valiant Entertainment's reboot of one of their hot 90's property. It is always a positive sign to see comic books abandon the "six issue or bust" style of writing which seemed to dominate the industry for at least half of the last twelve years. This also marks the last issue drawn by Clayton Henry, at least before the next arc is drawn by Emanuela Lupacchino come December. INCREDIBLE HERCULES writer Fred Van Lente continues on with this fantastically funny action/adventure, with Matt Milla on colors. The chase for MacGuffins to re-create "the boon" - the ancient device which grants immortality at a terrible cost - has ended and wound up in a secret monastery in Tibet. The enemies include Archer's deluded parents as well as an armada of lost Nazi with psychic monk powers. The figure who has been "speaking" to Archer turns out to not be Jesus himself, and the finale sorts itself out quickly. In some ways it is an homage to the finale of "RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARC". The enemy of the next arc is set up a bit awkwardly, but a new development involving Archer's crush Mary-Maria is a far more interesting nod to the future. The fists and one-liners, along with bizarre and imaginative enemies, make this series a pleasure to read every month. Fans who have been mourning the loss of INCREDIBLE HERCULES would be wise to hop aboard this spiritual sequel, as it continues the reign of wild and wacky adventure comics with inspired characters.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #697: As the historic and seemingly "final" issue 700 comes closer and closer in the rear view mirror, writers Dan Slott and Christos Gage, alongside artist Giuseppe Camuncoli (and two colorists) wrap up the three issue "Danger Zone" arc. That cover with Spider-Man taking a page from the various goblins he has battled is quite clever. While Slott only had so many issues between the end of "ENDS OF THE EARTH" crossover and the cut off 700th issue, he has been wise to develop a great deal of material in short three and four issue arcs to get in as much story as possible; once upon a time such things were not as notable. Hobgoblins young and old duel in the sky as well as chase after the key to Norman Osborn's complete weapons' cache, which is sought by Kingpin and protected by Peter Parker and his boss, Max Modell. Peter is forced to try to save the day without completely exposing his identity as Spider-Man to Max as well as attempting to function while a machine commissioned by Kingpin turns his "spider-sense" into agony. The resolution of the latter seems to occur a bit too easily, even if it does acknowledge previous stories in terms of kung-fu training. The best idea of the issue is Roderick Kingsley earning a fortune setting up super-villain "franchises" in the states and abroad. While these franchises include obscure identities such as Blaze, Blue Streak, Hitman and Tumbler, it does explain why there have been several versions of all of them. Subsequent issues make obvious teases of a showdown against Dr. Octopus to end this "series" on, which will be replaced by SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN. Overall, a cluttered but still satisfying finish to perhaps the last "simple" story before the next Spider-Man epic for 2013 is set up.

VENOM #27: The mini crossover "MINIMUM CARNAGE" reaches a penultimate chapter here, as written by Cullen Bunn and drawn by Declan Shalvey. By this stage not only is the series an homage to MAXIMUM CARNAGE with the title itself alluding to the Microverse, it now bares some resemblance to "PLANET OF THE SYMBIOTES" from roughly 1995. The gist is that the Microverse tyrant Marquis Radu has lured Carnage and Venom to the Microverse because their symbiote are literally a cancer to it and he seeks to replace the enigma force as god of the realm. To this end he seeks to duplicate and weaponize their symbiotes. While Flash Thompson's symbiote has been chemically inhibited by Hank Pym and limited by Flash's will, Carnage is all gung ho for random slaughter on a cosmic scale. This leads to a bizarre battle between Venom, Carnage, and an army of mini duplicates which gives Shalvey a lot to run with in terms of wild and wonderful artwork. Katy Kiernan gets in a few good lines and the Redeemer continues dispatching Vague Exposition in such the manner that most walking sages do. In "PLANET OF THE SYMBIOTES", Eddie Brock was literally able to release such an intense psychic wail of "pain and despair" that an entire planet of symbiotes committed suicide - yes, to Brock, angst WAS a weapon. Here Flash is able to essentially do the exact same thing, which at least implies that Bunn and Yost did their homework. Overall the crossover has been fun but I can't shake the feeling that Bunn is riding on Remender's coattails a bit more than I would like. It still feels like a VENOM book but there seems to be some spark missing at times. Regardless, the sheer bizarre space opera element of this crossover was not expected and was a genuine surprise - and the dialogue often isn't bad either. Warts and all, it beats AVX.

Re: Bendis/ALL-NEW X-MEN

I didn't read or buy or even consider this debut issue at the shop. Naturally many people here as well as many of my friends have enjoyed it. I hope the fun continues because I got off the Brian Bendis bus after SECRET INVASION and aside for SIEGE I haven't looked back. I'm not surprised the debut issue was good; Bendis was always excellent at openings which offered a lot of pomp and potential before offering middles that muddle and finales that either under perform, are infuriatingly terrible or set up a non-conclusion to set up the NEXT arc which offers the same. It was his pattern, and one cannot say I never gave him a chance. I read over 100 issues of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN and roughly 35-40 issues or so of NEW AVENGERS. I read all of his events at Marvel to date. I've even read most of his run on DAREDEVIL, which is often considered among his prime. I refuse to believe the last six years of his career was a slump and suddenly he's a new man capable of actually writing a team or actually ending a story as well as he began it. While I won't say Bendis wrote the worst comics I'd ever read in my life, he's definitely written some of the worst comics I read as an adult and was the first writer whose issues became something I genuinely dreaded, like a visit from a mortician. I still believe that "ULTIMATE CLONE SAGA" is among the worst comics of anything ever written, at least besides ULTIMATUM. The concept of watching the guy who destroyed the Avengers and so many other decent characters ply his trade to the X-Men, a franchise which his been broken down and built up so often it may as well be JENGA, doesn't appeal to me.

Right now, Bendis, Jeph Loeb and Matt Fraction represent the "triforce of bad comics" at Marvel for me. All of their names on any product make it a non-starter for me. All three have produced many comics which have convinced me they cannot write and/or properly finish comic book stories, and I've invested too much money on them to rightly consider doing so again. DEFENDERS was the last straw for Fraction and Loeb is now busy making Marvel cartoons worse.

Maybe ALL-NEW X-MEN will be that one team book within the last decade that Bendis can write well. Maybe he'll actually figure out how to write more than one character. Maybe he will actually register that a good ending is worth twice as much as a good beginning, if not more. I'm simply not flushing $3.99 down the register taking a chance at this point. I cannot logically justify it under any reason. I would rather spend my money on comics I have reasonable expectations of quality. Frankly, I'd rather spend my money on almost anything else than Bendis comics. I bought DEFENDERS against my better judgement and that is not a mistake I will make again. Moon Knight couldn't get me back on the Bendis bus, and neither will Cyclops.

Just if by ALL-NEW X-MEN #6 or #12 or even #4 we have people flooding the forum with tirades, I will try to resist making "I told you so" noises. Bendis can't play with toys without breaking a few. Hope it won't be any that someone likes.

Last edited:
Your opinion is entitled obviously, but I personally think the best of Bendis' Avengers run was in his final years with New Avengers (vol. 2), and even Moon Knight was very good for the first 8 or 9 issues that I could afford to buy.

Really, I think Bendis has been on an upswing since Secret Invasion (which I also enjoyed) and I hope he keeps going. The only exception was one arc of Dark Avengers and the last couple of Avengers arcs. So yeah, a few mediocre stories over a period of, what, 4 or 5 years?, isn't really that bad considering how much he's come out with. Especially being that the stuff he HAS done well on during that time period has been some of the best he's come out with. :up:

Heck, I think people horribly overexaggerate when they talk about how bad his 9-year Avengers run has been. I can only think of a few things that weren't spectacular. The rest has been mediocre at worst and amazing at best. He rocked on Daredevil, Alias, Spider-Woman, and Moon Knight. He outwrote most of the other writers on AvX and I look forward to him applying that to the X-Men. I wish Xavier was still alive because Bendis wrote the best Xavier since Carey, and no one's written him well for years and years before Carey did.

I rather liked the recent Bendis New Avengers stories. :) I haven't read the other Avengers books, I had to cut back on titles.

I thought his recent New Avengers was great. I think Bendis had finally assembled HIS Avengers and he knew how to make them work. I loved the entirety of his second New Avengers volume and wish he didn't have to pause twice for events (Fear Itself and AvX). I hate that the team is no more. It was one of my favorite books each month.

Adjectiveless Avengers was good for the first 12 issues or so (particularly the Hood storyline) but I think it fell apart after that. I couldn't get into it after the roster shifted with Storm and Vision and eventually dropped it an issue into AvX. I don't know, I just couldn't get into it at all. I didn't think Bendis had a good grasp on the characters and I didn't much care for the cast that was assembled (though individually I liked most of them).

Plus, by that point I was tired of constantly rotating casts of Avengers per event. New Avengers was mostly the same or very similar from Civil War onward. It always had Cage, Jessica, Iron Fist, Spider-Man, and Wolverine. Dr. Strange was there for most of it and others came here and there, but not to the extent of other Avenger teams and runs over the past 9 years. By the time Bendis changed them again to include Storm, Vision, and Quake... I'd just lost interest.

Give it time, All-New X-Men will fail. Marvel will ignore it because it's Bendis.

I really liked the first issue of All New X-men (both writing and art). Even if the writing starts to drop, at least Immonen's art will stay great.

I loved their run on Ultimate Spiderman. The two of them work well together so I expect the book will at least be decent if not great. :)

They worked well in the early issues of New Avengers vol 2 as well.

I haven't read any of my Marvel books ... just my DC titles. I just feel the need to vent. It seems like the DC books are just getting worse and worse. Sure, there are a few exceptions, like the Batman titles; but, for the most part, I am getting more than a bit P.O.ed that every title I get has to tie into two or three other books. For example, today I read Superboy. Not only does it tie into a few Superman books (because of the Superman mini-event currently going on); but, it lets me know that it also ties in with Ravagers, Teen Titans, and another title I dropped recently. (I refuse to pick it up, too!)

Here's the thing, though. If the storylines were good, like with Snyder's Batman, I wouldn't mind reading all the Superboy appearances. But, NO, these stories are just getting worse and worse. I find myself enjoying Pre-New 52 a lot more than the crappy stories I've been reading.

Another thing. Is it me, or does it seem like half of the original New 52 titles have switched writers? Grifter was slightly interesting before; but, since Liefeld has taken over, it's garbage. (Oh, and it ties in with Stormwatch, Voodoo, and some other books. At least Voodoo got cancelled.) Don't even get me started on the Red and the Green. Sheesh, now we have The Grey!

It takes a lot for me to cancel a book. I stick with crap year after year; but, DC has taken it's toll on me. I'm at the point where I'm about through with 1/2 their books. (The completist in me is screaming, though.) I'll stick with the Bat-books (not Batwing, though ... that got cancelled a couple months ago), the Superman titles (only because I have a complete Superman collection since the early 80's ... but, I think the current books are some of the worst I've ever read), and some of the few that still hold my interest.

I've definately noticed that DC is hit or miss. Fortunately, it sounds like I've gotten a lot of the hits. And while I do notice that there's a lot of 1 and 2 issue tie-ins at DC I don't find that they bother me much.

I'm still enjoying Batman, Batman & Robin, Batman Incorporated, Green Lantern, Justice League, and Justice League Dark. I'm currently testing out Phantom Stranger and Stormwatch, though I don't see them both lasting due to how much I currently spend and needing to make a couple more cuts.

I just dropped Nightwing and Batwoman. They were decent but of my buy list they were the least. Nightwing, I noticed, I was loving moreso for Eddie Barrows' art (if I'm remembering his name right). While the stories were decent without him, I noticed that my enjoyment slacked when someone else was drawing the story. It's the same with Batwoman. Williams III's art is amazing, but after his first arc the story just bombed for me. Another recent drop that I miss was Grifter. I loved the first 8 or 9 issues but it really did shift when Liefield came on. I love the character though and hope he eventually makes it onto the Justice League or something. There's supposed to be some sort of shift coming for Stormwatch so he might fit in there and that'd keep me on board for a while longer.

Coming up, I plan on trying out Justice League of America and Green Arrow once Lemire comes on board (issue 17 I believe). I like the artist and Lemire's impressed me with Justice League Dark, and I hear Animal Man is still doing well. I wanted to get into Green Arrow but just couldn't adapt to the change in character. I think I'm finally ready to give it a shot with Lemire. With JLA I just want to test it out. I like Finch's art and am curious how the team works together. If I'm not impressed by the first issue or two of the second arc I will likely drop it.

I've definately noticed that DC is hit or miss. Fortunately, it sounds like I've gotten a lot of the hits. And while I do notice that there's a lot of 1 and 2 issue tie-ins at DC I don't find that they bother me much.

I'm still enjoying Batman, Batman & Robin, Batman Incorporated, Green Lantern, Justice League, and Justice League Dark. I'm currently testing out Phantom Stranger and Stormwatch, though I don't see them both lasting due to how much I currently spend and needing to make a couple more cuts.

I just dropped Nightwing and Batwoman. They were decent but of my buy list they were the least. Nightwing, I noticed, I was loving moreso for Eddie Barrows' art (if I'm remembering his name right). While the stories were decent without him, I noticed that my enjoyment slacked when someone else was drawing the story. It's the same with Batwoman. Williams III's art is amazing, but after his first arc the story just bombed for me. Another recent drop that I miss was Grifter. I loved the first 8 or 9 issues but it really did shift when Liefield came on. I love the character though and hope he eventually makes it onto the Justice League or something. There's supposed to be some sort of shift coming for Stormwatch so he might fit in there and that'd keep me on board for a while longer.

Coming up, I plan on trying out Justice League of America and Green Arrow once Lemire comes on board (issue 17 I believe). I like the artist and Lemire's impressed me with Justice League Dark, and I hear Animal Man is still doing well. I wanted to get into Green Arrow but just couldn't adapt to the change in character. I think I'm finally ready to give it a shot with Lemire. With JLA I just want to test it out. I like Finch's art and am curious how the team works together. If I'm not impressed by the first issue or two of the second arc I will likely drop it.

Looks like we're on the same page. I didn't know about Lemire; but, with him going to Green Arrow, I'll give it another try. (That's four writers in two years. I tried all three previous writers, then just gave up around issue 8.) Stormwatch was just unreadable for me. I stuck with it for much longer than I should, simply because Superman was suppose to tie into it. Depending on how you look at it, the way each title ties into another makes me have no problem dropping titles. I soon discovered that what I was read in Stormwatch had very little to do with Superman. It involved some of the same characters, but it did nothing to enhance each other. Of course, the plot is such a bore as to not make me care that much. (On the other hand, Batman's Owl and Joker storyline was/is very interesting; so, I'll pick up any book that it appears in.)

Here are my rundown on the titles:

Before Watchmen (Fantastic. I've really enjoyed these books.)
Flash (While not a bad book, I'm still waiting to find myself with some interest in it. If I dropped it, I probably wouldn't miss it. It's the competionist in me that mainly keeps me going.)
Justice League (Flash is better. I keep hoping it's just a storyline away from wowwing me. Right now, the team is just a bunch of egos with attitude.)
Aquaman (Good title, especially considering it's Aquaman. I heard Johns is going to drop the title; but, nothing's happened yet.)
Wonder Woman (One of the big disappointments. I love Azzarello, but he's bombed with this one.)
Green Arrow (Dropped a while ago.)
DC Universe Presents (I should drop this one. The stories aren't terrible; but, they feature C-list characters that I really don't care about much.)
Savage Hawkman (Dropped. It's an extremely boring character with extremely boring storylines. Liefeld didn't do anything to enhance it, either.)
Earth 2 (Good beginning; but, it's starting to get a bit more dull. I'll hold out, though, as I've only been bored by the last couple issues.)
World's Finest (I like this book. The writer seems to be having fun with both characters. Even though the stories might not be great, something about them keep me coming back. I do think DC could have really been daring and made the two superheroines an item. This screams "Power Girl and Huntress are in love with one another.")
Action Comics (Total crap from the beginning. This might be some of the worst stuff Morrison has ever done.)
Superman (I miss the original writer and artist. At least they brought something new with the throwback style of the 80's. Plus, a full issue would take a lot longer than 5 minutes to read! Now, this is rather dull stuff.)
Superboy (Stuck in a rut. This book isn't going anywhere after Superboy broke out of his prison. It needs a new storyline fast. Plus, the character is jumping around from book to book so much, I'm getting seriously tired of him.)
Supergirl (Stuck in a rut, Pt. 2. I see no direction for this title or character Now it's stuck in the Superman "Hel On Earth" storyline.)
Talon (Interesting enough; but, the premise isn't exactly mindblowing. Reminds me too much of Azrael.)
Batman, Batman Inc, Batman and Robin, Batman: The Dark Knight, Detective Comics, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Red Hood and the Outlaws (I dropped Birds Of Prey and Batwing. I should drop Nightwing. The first three books are pretty interesting; but, Dark Knight is almost more like a Legends Of Batman book. Detective is good. Batgirl was much more interesting before Barbara came back in the suit; and, Batwoman has steadily been getting rather dull. Love the art; but, they need a better writer. Catwoman just makes me miss Brubaker on this book. Red Hood is the exception. Fantastic book that I absolutely love.)
Green Lantern, Red Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Threshold (Green Lantern Corps is the best of them. New Guardians is the worst. Green Lantern and Red Lantern are okay. Now, we're getting a fifth Lantern title. That's too much Green Lantern.)
Phantom Stranger (Loved the first issue; but, the second one kind of bored me. This is not a very interesting character, and I see things getting worse. It might be best to drop it now.)
Sword Of Sorcery (I have a fondness for the Gemworld stories, as I read Amythest as a kid. It's only been okay so far. I hate that it's one of those books that DC fills with a second story and charges an extra buck.)
Animal Man, Swamp Thing (Good books with a storyline that seems like it will never end. I'm completely bored with both books, while still appreaciating the good writing in both. Someone at DC needs to tell them to wrap it up already. The Red and The Green is sucking the interest in these books dry.)
Justice League Dark (Good book, but it started to get a bit more dull lately. I'll stick with it, though.)
Dial H (Dropped.)
Frankenstein (I miss Lemire on the book. Kindt brings a different feel.)
Demon Knights (Dropped.)
I, Vampire (On the edge. I have been getting more into the book, though.)
Team 7 (I still have to read issues 1 and 2. Hope they are good.)
All-Star Western (Good book; but, will they ever get Hex out of Gotham now? The idea can get old quick.)
Deathstroke (Dropped.)
Grifter (I think I'll be dropping it.)
Stormwatch (Dropped.)
Suicide Squad (I like this title. It's in no worries about being dropped.)
Bue Beetle (Dropped loong time ago. I think I went up to issue 4.)
Teen Titans (Kind of a dull book. It does tie heavily into Superboy at times, though.)
Ravagers (Big tie-ins with Superboy and Teen Titans; but, I'm bored by it. Think I'll drop it.)
Legion Lost and Legion of Superheroes (Both books dropped.)

There, I think those are the main books.

I've only bought the past two issues of Stormwatch and liked them a lot. Apollo and Midnighter taking on Etrigan was really good.

If you liked Lemire on Frankenstein he's making Frank a perminant member of Justice League Dark. As far as Justice League goes, the most recent issue seemed to be showing some character and team growth, so hopefully that'll continue.

I'm drawn to Lemire's Green Arrow for several reasons. He's a good writer. I like what he has to say in his interviews about it, and that he has long term plan for the book. Also, the I, Vampire artist is drawing it... which I liked the look of when I, Vampire crossed over with JLD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"