Am I the only one who suspects this could be actually darker than the Singer ones?

ultimatefan

The Batman must come back
Reaction score
Because that´s the impression I been getting from the trailers of the movie. Not only there´s a sense of impending doom from Charles´ statements, but also someone seems to kick the buckett - for real this time -, Dark Phoenix raises and also, every trailer and spot so far has been completely humorless... I mean, even the X2 trailers had a couple humorous moments, like the mutant sticking the tongue or the cat licking Wolvie´s claw... Would Ratner be so determined to prove he won´t be the Schumacher of the X-Men movies that he could have made it maybe a bit TOO dark? That intrigues me.

I think the story lends itself to being darker. X2 set up the events for the Dark Phoenix Saga, so I think regardless of whether Singer or Ratner were directing X3, the subject matter would be a bit more dramatic and serious.

I do think, however, that because they are somewhat being forced to round this out as a trilogy, given the circumstances, that the various character deaths will add to the already established dark tone of the movie.

ultimatefan said:
Because that´s the impression I been getting from the trailers of the movie. Not only there´s a sense of impending doom from Charles´ statements, but also someone seems to kick the buckett - for real this time -, Dark Phoenix raises and also, every trailer and spot so far has been completely humorless... I mean, even the X2 trailers had a couple humorous moments, like the mutant sticking the tongue or the cat licking Wolvie´s claw... Would Ratner be so determined to prove he won´t be the Schumacher of the X-Men movies that he could have made it maybe a bit TOO dark? That intrigues me.

Hey Ultimate,

Well, considering this is the Dark Phoenix saga, I'd be dissapointed if it was a lighthearted affair. The Dark Phoenix represents betrayal, death, chaos and destruction. Her reappearance is going to wreak havoc on those she loves. And then the Cure For Mutancy plot digs into prejudice and racism. So this film can't be a happy-go-lucky take if it wants to be taken seriously.

I also don't think that Brett is trying to purposely prove anything because his other projects i.e. Red Dragon and Prison Break were also darker in theme. In a way that's why I'm glad he's doing this film--he's proven he can balance comedy, romance and dense tales. And to be honest, I always considered X2 to be a darker, serious film anyway--John Ottman's score was often anything but hopeful.

I believe there will be some humor bits to balance out this movie, but if death is going to be a mainstay theme it'd be innappropriate to give this climax a Fantastic Fouresque or even Spider-Manish treatment.

MoPlaYa43 said:
I love your Avatar LS

Thanks. Lex Luthor, The Weather Witch, DNSK and Hunter Rider have been hooking me up all day today. :)

Yeah, I agree with all above statements (even about the avatars haha), it wouldn't be true to the source if this was some light-hearted-go-lucky film. It should be darker, although not too too dark.

I love the fact that this movie will be darker than the last ones. I can't wait to see all of the emotion and drama in this movie!

I think Juggs and Beast will have a couple of humorus moments

ultimatefan said:

Were you expecting this to be a light-hearted comedy? :p

Pheonix=Dark

I can tell that there will be alot more fights, and alot of emotion. This will be by far the darkest of the trilogy. Plus, you got alot of Brotherhood mutants this time. And you got the bridge getting destoryed. I can't wait to see who Wolverine sticks his claws in this time, and I can't wait to see what and who Pyro burns up.

Yeah its fairly obvious that this film will be the darkest and most emotional.

Lightning Strikez! said:
Hey Ultimate,

Well, considering this is the Dark Phoenix saga, I'd be dissapointed if it was a lighthearted affair. The Dark Phoenix represents betrayal, death, chaos and destruction. Her reappearance is going to wreak havoc on those she loves. And then the Cure For Mutancy plot digs into prejudice and racism. So this film can't be a happy-go-lucky take if it wants to be taken seriously.

I also don't think that Brett is trying to purposely prove anything because his other projects i.e. Red Dragon and Prison Break were also darker in theme. In a way that's why I'm glad he's doing this film--he's proven he can balance comedy, romance and dense tales. And to be honest, I always considered X2 to be a darker, serious film anyway--John Ottman's score was often anything but hopeful.

I believe there will be some humor bits to balance out this movie, but if death is going to be a mainstay theme it'd be innappropriate to give this climax a Fantastic Fouresque or even Spider-Manish treatment.
I never said it wa going to be happy-go-lucky, and of course the general tone of the X-Men movies has been dark and serious, I´m just saying this one so far seems almost completely dark. Yeah, there probably will be humorous moments here and there... But even with the hint of the Dark Phoenix saga I confess I wasn´t expecting it to feel as dark as it seems right now... Anyway, we´ll find out next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"