American Gods Coming to Starz

It became background noise for me last season anyway, so suffice it to say I won’t even bother this go-round.

Really sucks about Mr Nancy, such a "weird" reason to get rid of a beloved character... I'll still give season 3 a chance when it airs, mostly out of curiousity. If it's bad I'll just quit watching

Orlando Jones Opened Up About His ’American Gods’ Firing

Orlando Jones Explains His ‘American Gods’ Firing In Detail

On this week’s episode of People’s Party, Jasmin Leigh and Talib Kweli chopped it up with comedian, writer, and all-around renaissance man Orlando Jones. In this clip, Jones details how he wore multiple hats on American Gods — acting, writing, and creating the “show bible” for the character of Anansi (Mr. Nancy) before being fired from the series. He attributes his departure to new American Gods season three showrunner Charles Eglee.

According to Jones, Eglee didn’t like the radical politics of Mr. Nancy, whose speeches had gone viral multiple times. Two of these iconic speeches were by Jones himself.

“Dude thinks he’s the blackest dude in the game, hats, style, the way he carries himself, he’s from Boston, this is a Boston white dude… what was really crazy to me was that there was a studio, a network, and a cast full of black people and people of color who were not willing to stand up and call this dude out for being a culture vulture, particularly on a show that is so multicultural.”

It wasn’t just Eglee’s treatment of Mr. Nancy that got under Jones’ skin, it was his disregard for the universe that had already been established by the previous American Gods team.

“We established these characters before you got here, at least be respectful enough of human beings to have a conversation with them and allow them to be in the discourse, whether you keep the character or not keep the character is not the point, but it was coming in like ‘oh you’re going to tell me what black is, and he’s gonna tell all ya’ll what it is and you’re just going to go along with it?’

Premiere in a little under a week. Perhaps it's because I don't have Starz, but I haven't seen a lot about this upcoming season. Either way, like Season 2, will tune in.

I also thought it was pretty obvious.
For me, it would have actually been a bigger "twist" if Wednesday wasn't his father. Like if maybe Shadow was something else but Wednesday was just messing with him. (He still might be)

Hopefully we haven't seen the last of Sweeney. That storyline feels unfinished... and he might be my favourite character on the show

Have you read the book mate ?
The relationship between Shadow and Wednesday is probably the most essential element of the story, its the foundation on which everything rests. There are plenty of things you could change about the series, but I don't think that's one of them.

Mad Sweeney could have some after Death adventures, possibly even carry a series of his own - there are these small asides in the novel that only tangentially impact the main story - I still have no idea how the Ifrit in NYC or the founding of Haiti had to do with the main story.

Anyway, if you haven't, read the book - I can't think of a better read ( if you're enjoying the series) . There's a novella "Monarch of the Glen" which contains a further adventure of Shadow.

Have you read the book mate ?
The relationship between Shadow and Wednesday is probably the most essential element of the story, its the foundation on which everything rests. There are plenty of things you could change about the series, but I don't think that's one of them.

Mad Sweeney could have some after Death adventures, possibly even carry a series of his own - there are these small asides in the novel that only tangentially impact the main story - I still have no idea how the Ifrit in NYC or the founding of Haiti had to do with the main story.

Anyway, if you haven't, read the book - I can't think of a better read ( if you're enjoying the series) . There's a novella "Monarch of the Glen" which contains a further adventure of Shadow.

I kind of forgot about this show, there doesn't seem to be any hype for the new season. I barely even remember what happened, except for the controversy with the cast... (I do watch a lot of shows though)

I havent read the book yet, (so I'll skip your spoiler for now :D) but I'll give it a try. It sounds good. I do like the concept of the show so I'll probably enjoy that too.

I kind of forgot about this show, there doesn't seem to be any hype for the new season. I barely even remember what happened, except for the controversy with the cast... (I do watch a lot of shows though)

I havent read the book yet, (so I'll skip your spoiler for now :D) but I'll give it a try. It sounds good. I do like the concept of the show so I'll probably enjoy that too.

It's a good read, but it meanders a bit. Hope you enjoy it ! Cheers.

Liking it so far. It does really feel like the show wants to try and recapture the magic of Season 1. Whether it succeeds, we'll see.

That said, the Lakeside scenes reminded me of Fargo. Whether that's intentional, I'm not sure, but I kept thinking of that. Also, I had no idea that Dominique Jackson would be in this season as now Ms. World. Feels similar to the recast of Media in Season 2.

Cancelled

media.gif

I haven't seen S3 as I never made it all the way through S2. Sorry to see how far this show fell off, as I really did love S1. The BTS shake-up really killed it, imo.
Too true and there was one common name behind all the BTS drama and I say that person has no one to blame but himself.

I enjoyed Season 3, really, and considering where it left Shadow at the end, I was curious to see where a fourth season would take him. Visually, this was a step above Season 2, as I really enjoyed the look, but ah well. It was fun while it lasted.

I knew it... :csad: Now with this ending it kind of feels like a waste of time

I immediately cancelled my Starz add-on for Hulu.

Was the only reason I signed up for it in the first place.

Neil Gaiman said it's not over yet but I don't know where it will go.

Well once again Fremantle seems to be at the center of the problems regarding this show from start to finish so somehow you got to fix that in order to make it work.

Neil Gaiman said it's not over yet but I don't know where it will go.

Maybe they can finish the story with a movie. I heard that they were pretty close to the end of the book anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"