Andrea Arnold's Wuthering Heights

Sgt.Pepper

Nowhere Man
Reaction score
puKhd.jpg

Andrea Arnold's follow-up to Fish Tank is a new adaptation of Emily Brontë's classic novel Wuthering Heights. I'm really interested to see this because I'm a huge fan of her films but also, to a certain extent, because this movie will be her first period-piece. The film has four clips that's available on Youtube but because it's NSFW, I can't post it. But, at least I can confirm that her own gorgeously distinctive style is present on the film. The film will premiere soon at the Venice Film Festival, so it won't be long until we get some verdicts on Andrea Arnold's take on Wuthering Heights.

Plot:

A Yorkshire hill farmer on a visit to Liverpool finds a homeless boy on the streets. He takes him home to live as part of his family on the isolated Yorkshire moors where the boy forges an obsessive relationship with the farmer’s daughter.

ZVatr.jpg

e2L06.jpg

beroy.jpg

I like Arnold's previous films but doing a new adaptation of a classic novel wasn't what I expected she would do next so I had mixed feelings, however after seeing the clips while it's short it left me with a good impression and the camera's work is very evident of Arnold. It's a refreshing and realistic look that'll make it stands out when comparing to the other versions. Looking forward to the reviews when it's premiering at Venice.

Visually it looks appropriately bleak and Gothic but why is Heathcliff black? He was gypsy in the novel.

Visually it looks appropriately bleak and Gothic but why is Heathcliff black? He was gypsy in the novel.

In the novel, it was ambiguous which ethnic background Heathcliff is, but he's definitely of an undistinguished dark skin tone. I, for one, are glad that Arnold don't have a white actor as the previous version, and actually cast a more faithful (albeit not 100% precise) actor for the role of Heathcliff.

Wuthering Heights premiere at the Venice Film Festival to a-I would say-positive reception. Additionally, the film won the Osella for Best Cinematography award at the festival. Personally, I can't wait to see the film, and reading the reviews made me more excited than I was previously.

The Playlist

‘Wuthering Heights’ Is A Superb, Groundbreaking Adaptation Of The Classic Tale

The Hollywood Reporter

An audaciously and satisfyingly stark, direct and radical approach to an oft-filmed literary classic.

The Telegraph

Andrea Arnold’s raw and affecting adaptation of Wuthering Heights will bring a new audience to Brontë’s moorland classic.

Evening Standard

This is an updating in tone rather than time, often without the essential explosiveness of the book. But it's one way of reinterpreting Brontë's words and visually, at least, an extraordinary achievement.

Teaser Trailer

[YT]hoOuB9PAVug[/YT]

The trailer doesn't reveal much (as it is a teaser) but it's definitely a representative of an Arnold film, with the gorgeous visuals and the same ratio aspect as Fish Tank. As strange as it may sound, this trailer made me excited (again!) for the film. :p

In related news, Oscilloscope Laboratories has acquired the North American distribution rights of Wuthering Heights with plans to release the film in 2012. So it won't be long until you lucky Americans get to see the film.

Source

Teaser Trailer

[YT]hoOuB9PAVug[/YT]

The trailer doesn't reveal much (as it is a teaser) but it's definitely a representative of an Arnold film, with the gorgeous visuals and the same ratio aspect as Fish Tank. As strange as it may sound, this trailer made me excited (again!) for the film. :p

In related news, Oscilloscope Laboratories has acquired the North American distribution rights of Wuthering Heights with plans to release the film in 2012. So it won't be long until you lucky Americans get to see the film.

Source

Not sure. There have been a lot of Wuthering Heights and other than introducing the element of race....there doesn't seem to be a lot to make this one stand out.

I loved Fish Tank, so I want to see this just out of curiosity (hate the novel).

Not sure. There have been a lot of Wuthering Heights and other than introducing the element of race....there doesn't seem to be a lot to make this one stand out.

I haven't read the novel and I've only seen the 1939 movie, but I'm excited to see this simply because Arnold is helming it. I'm a big fan of Arnold and I'm intrigued by the sole fact that her follow-up to the excellent Fish Tank is an adaptation of a classic novel. Which seems, to me, an odd fit.

Man, that Kaya Scodelario is one pretty young lady.

I saw the Tom Hardy version a little while back and, while decent, was a bit too bright for my tastes. This version looks to have a more accurate dismal atmosphere.

Needs more crazy creepy eyed Kate Bush !
[YT]BW3gKKiTvjs[/YT]
:shrugs:

I like the vibe of the trailer, very Malick-esque. Arnold is taking more of an unconventional and experimental approach, at least when it comes to the ones who are adaptations on a classic novels but that's what got me intrigued, can't wait to see the end results myself.

One of the best films of this year, or last year, or whatever.

I hate Wuthering Heights but I am intrigued by it as well. Heathcliff is such a crappy individual, lol. And Cathy is pretty much a witch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"