Are there some comic book characters who shouldn't get their own movie?

One, because "badass" is a bad reason for giving someone a movie. A character needs a lot more than "is badass" to actually build a movie, they need compelling characterization and a solid story. *cough*

Two, the fundamental problem with "Cyborg, Solo Hero" is that, ultimately, he has almost never been intended or created as a solo hero. Almost all his characterization and interesting stories revolve around his relationship to a team, the Teen Titans. As such, its a really bad idea to start by distancing the character from that which defines him. It'd be like making a solo Cyclops movie before doing an X-Men movie.

( After you've introduced the team-oriented character in a team-oriented context, *then* you can consider doing a solo spinoff, once you've established that there is both audience demand and creative chemistry. )
The attempts to give Cyborg an ongoing series in the comics have all failed because he just isn’t that interesting to headline an ongoing series. Now, could he do all right headlining a two hour film? Yeah. Probably in the right creative hands. Would he spin out to be a franchise? I don’t see it at all.

The attempts to give Cyborg an ongoing series in the comics have all failed because he just isn’t that interesting to headline an ongoing series. Now, could he do all right headlining a two hour film? Yeah. Probably in the right creative hands. Would he spin out to be a franchise? I don’t see it at all.

I would never say its *impossible*, since movies are a fundamentally different medium and audience than comics. But yeah, most likely a Cyborg solo movie would never work, or would work *once* as an interesting spinoff that uses up all the narrative material in one go. Not every character is intended to work as a solo hero.

Ya know, I like him just fine, but I don’t know that Lobo needs his own movie.
Yeah. I’m not a fan of Lobo. He was originally created as a farce and the fact that he is taken more seriously as a character is a poor reflection on society.

Last edited:
Ya know, I like him just fine, but I don’t know that Lobo needs his own movie.

Yeah. Lobo is a joke who at *best* works as an inferior, lamer Deadpool. In practice, you'd get an inferior lamer Venom instead. Its just a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"