Artist Wanted

daveswb

Civilian
Reaction score
Hello budding comic book artists. I am looking to write and publish an independent comic, but I’m not the greatest artist. So I am looking for an artist that is willing to work with me on a comic. I have a story idea worked out, and I’m looking for someone that is willing to collaborate on the idea with me. I figure we can work in the beginning via email I’ll send you the script and then you send back to me the sketches. I am looking to get some desktop publishing software for the comic. All initial cost for producing the book will be handled by me. I just am looking for someone willing to spend some of their free time doing what they already love to do.

If you are interested please email me at [email protected] I am willing to answer any questions you might have.

Once you contact me I’ll send you more detailed information on the story I am writing. And what my plan is. The initial idea will consist of 10-12 issue arc.

OK, so no one the boards is interested in doing an independent project. Does anyone know where I might find an artist that is?

Thanks

I don't think that it is that no one is interested. But you have to understand that this is a big undertaking here. Self publishing is a hard thing to do. Then you have to factor in what is the artist's cut of the profit going to be. That is something that you need to go over first. Yes art is something that an artist loves to do, but if they are going to be doing a 10-12 issue arc then they need to be paid for their time. Not that you don't plan to do that but, it is something an artist needs to know. That and where will these books be sold? If just in your area then what is the point to someone who lives on a different coast or even country then you?

Not trying to bring you down or anything, just talking from experience. I was all set to self publish about 10 years ago, and even had a team of 6 artists and 6 writers. We also had all of or copyrights and trademarks paid for, as well as a place that would print our books for 75 cents a book, so we knew we would make a profit. But it all blew up just before issue #1 came out. So be sure you have everything in place before you go forward.

You are going to need to copyright your stories and tradmark all of your characters. This is going to cost you a bit of cash but will be worth it in the end. You'll need to write to the US trademark office to get a pack that will get you started. Also it is wise to do fictious name search before hand to make sure someone else hasn't come up with the same sort of character, it is very posible for that to happen. Just make sure everything is legal before you sell your fist issue or any profits you make will go to pay for a law-suit against you.

If you have any questions I would be glad to give you any info I have, and advice you may need.

i would like to hear more about what exactly went wrong. and why didnt you give it another go?

I don't think that it is that no one is interested. But you have to understand that this is a big undertaking here. Self publishing is a hard thing to do. Then you have to factor in what is the artist's cut of the profit going to be. That is something that you need to go over first. Yes art is something that an artist loves to do, but if they are going to be doing a 10-12 issue arc then they need to be paid for their time. Not that you don't plan to do that but, it is something an artist needs to know. That and where will these books be sold? If just in your area then what is the point to someone who lives on a different coast or even country then you?

Not trying to bring you down or anything, just talking from experience. I was all set to self publish about 10 years ago, and even had a team of 6 artists and 6 writers. We also had all of or copyrights and trademarks paid for, as well as a place that would print our books for 75 cents a book, so we knew we would make a profit. But it all blew up just before issue #1 came out. So be sure you have everything in place before you go forward.

You are going to need to copyright your stories and tradmark all of your characters. This is going to cost you a bit of cash but will be worth it in the end. You'll need to write to the US trademark office to get a pack that will get you started. Also it is wise to do fictious name search before hand to make sure someone else hasn't come up with the same sort of character, it is very posible for that to happen. Just make sure everything is legal before you sell your fist issue or any profits you make will go to pay for a law-suit against you.

If you have any questions I would be glad to give you any info I have, and advice you may need.

Wow, sounds like somone screwed you. Sorry for that, I know about copyright and trade mark laws.

I was also serious when I said I would handle the initial cost. As for payment I would work that out with what ever artist is willing to work with me. Not looking for advice on how to do the book.

Looking for an artist.

Thanks

Wow, sounds like somone screwed you. Sorry for that, I know about copyright and trade mark laws.

I was also serious when I said I would handle the initial cost. As for payment I would work that out with what ever artist is willing to work with me. Not looking for advice on how to do the book.

Looking for an artist.

Thanks

Ouch, way to be a jackass. He was just trying to help.

No one is going to do your story without a concept or samples of your writing. Plus, how old are you? Do you have any experience doing this? That is a lot of time you want an artist for and you barely told us anything.

Ouch, way to be a jackass. He was just trying to help.

No one is going to do your story without a concept or samples of your writing. Plus, how old are you? Do you have any experience doing this? That is a lot of time you want an artist for and you barely told us anything.

Why is it when you post stuff like this you get people that think they know better than you? Anfd think they need to help you in areas you didn't ask for help.

My age is not important, but I am 34. I have written somgs, short stories and what not. I will not post any ideas on here, in the chance of them being stolen.

I'm sorry now I ever posted this thread.

If any moderators are reading this please remove this thread. I see now posting here was a waste of time.

Your age is important. If you were 16 then this would be just some silly fan-boy dream of being a comic writer... though I don't know what it is when you're 34...

Do you really think there are all these people running about just looking to steal your amazing ideas?

As for your qualifications, I sing random songs I make up all the time around my apartment. Everyone has written a short story. As for the "what not" I can't comment on it but I'm sure it's not unique.

Don't come in here and get pissy when someone tries to help you and when no one takes interest in your idea, when there is no idea and there is nothing for anyone to latch onto.

That would be like me making a thread asking if there are any directors out there because I have an idea for a movie. Gee thanks but what's the idea? You aren't going to get anywhere if you're afraid to tell anyone what you have in mind.

Say a genre, say a theme, say anything except "I have a story idea, But I won't tell you what it is until you show interest."

Why is it when you post stuff like this you get people that think they know better than you? Anfd think they need to help you in areas you didn't ask for help.

My age is not important, but I am 34. I have written somgs, short stories and what not. I will not post any ideas on here, in the chance of them being stolen.

I'm sorry now I ever posted this thread.

If any moderators are reading this please remove this thread. I see now posting here was a waste of time.

See I actually thought you were in your teens. That is why i offered my first hand knowlege of starting a comic company. I was just lending a hand. See you didn't say you had any knowlege of how to start it up, you just said you were looking for an artist and would be paying for everything. But speaking as an artist/writer I would want more info to spark my interest in the project. An artist wouldn't need your whole story break down buy would at the very least need to know something about your character. For one have you designed him or her yet? What do they look like? what are their powers. If you ask for an artist to come up with that part then they would get co-creatorship from you for legal reasons.

You see these are things that broke what I started up. My team had too many people saying they were sole creators of the whole company, and all of of it's characters. granted we had copyrights and trade marks, but that didn't stop some of the team from wanting a cut from everyone else's book.

As to why I never tried again. Well I did a couple of years ago, but what happened there was life hit me in the face. By then I was 32 and married not to mention a new father. So between being a full time husband, father and having a full time job I just lost track of time. Now I am 37 and just set in my ways. I still love to draw and to write, and mess around with Photoshop. But I just can't find the time to sit down and draw for profit anymore. Sad but true. And my time away fro it I have got rusty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"