Batman: The Musical

ashtonu

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey everyone... Did anyone hear Warner Bros. plans for BATMAN: THE MUSICAL ? It was supposed to be writen by musical genius Jim Steinman, who wrote Bat Out Of Hell, and directed by Tim Burton (based on his films.)

I was skeptical at first, until I heard some of the music... Oh my God... NOT ALLOWED TO LOVE is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, and was to be performed by Batman/Bruce and Catwoman/Selina. Then there's the psychotic, dark and creepy LAND OF THE PIGS, which was Gotham City's anthem:

"Can't you hear the choir bells?
Listen to the animals sing!
Can't you hear the slaughter-house bells?
In the Land of the Pigs THE BUTCHER IS KING!"

Another song is the Joker's song (well, one of them) called WONDERFUL TOYS. much lighter than the other two, and just hysterical.

Unfortunately, the show was canceld after Jim's musical DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES bombed on broadway (which is a whole other story... they tried to to turn that show into a comedy, with all kinds of added crap... he was devastated by it.)

And I have some news!!! Jim has released the demo for WONDERFUL TOYS! And, more recently, the demo for the opening number, GOTHAM CITY (ANDGELS ARISE) /GRAVEYARD SHIFT. (Graveyard Shift is sunng by Batman.)

As for WONDERFUL TOYS, it would be in the museum scene, like in the 1989 movie, and Rob Evan (who played Jekyll and Hyde on broadway, and is now on the new JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION album, would have played Batman.

Aaaaaanyway, my friend Ryan has created a site about the musical. You can get mp3's of the demos there, in the MUSIC section. Here you go: :)

http://www.freewebs.com/batman_themusical/

batmanmusical2.jpg

I remember hearing about it a few years before BB came out. It sounded ******ed for only about two seconds before it started sounding awesome.. now I'm pissed for life that its not happening.

It would be perfect.... but only if it was exactly like the Batman musical at the beginning of the Batman Beyond "Out of the Past".

LOLOLOL.

But Jim's Batman isn't what you'd expect it would have been. Just listen to GOTHAM CITY / GRAVEYARD SHIFT. It's chill-inducing, especially when it gets to Batman's part: "Maybe it's a gift / Maybe it's a curse / But I see it all... / I work the graveyard shift..."

Ok, I'm one of the biggest Jim Steinman ever, and when I heard about this I got hyped, but didn't think it was gonna happen. I had not realised Steinman had started writing them before the musical flopped, so yesterday I got super hyped and as a Batman fan and as a Steinman fan, have started a petition to get a Batman Out Of Hell album, cause I don't think the musical will happen, but an album is possible, so please sign it :)

http://www.freewebs.com/bat_hell/

And yes, photoshopping the Bat I cover did take all night.

One-time it wasd rumored that Tim Burton was going to direct it but never happened so I'm glad cos I don't like musicals.

Ok, I'm one of the biggest Jim Steinman ever, and when I heard about this I got hyped, but didn't think it was gonna happen. I had not realised Steinman had started writing them before the musical flopped, so yesterday I got super hyped and as a Batman fan and as a Steinman fan, have started a petition to get a Batman Out Of Hell album, cause I don't think the musical will happen, but an album is possible, so please sign it :)
Fantastic! I love Steinman's work too, and it's certainly had an influence on my own.

I too would love to see an album; Jim is slowly but steadily releasing the demo for the show, but it would be soooooo awesome to have a full version. Price did his concept for Batman for B89, so why not let Jim do it??? Jim's version is SO, SO much better than anything Prince would dream of coming up with.

I'm dying to see the show put onstage too though. But I have heard that a BATMAN musical is still a possibility, though not with Jim's involvement. :(

Great job on the artwork, btw.

Several things. Firstly can I put a link to Batman The Musical on my petiton site. Secondly, if a whole Jim Steinman Batman album is out of the question, then they should at least stick em on The Dark Knight soundtrack. And thirdly, is there any poetition to keep the musical going (cause my one is just for an album) but I would love to sign it just to let one of the coolest things ever see the light of day. Thanks about the artwork and I can't stop listening to Graveyard Shift, it's like the ending of Bad For Good but far superior.:up:

You know, for a while, I've kind of wanted to see a Joker centric musical using the music of Queen and Tom Lehrer.

Several things. Firstly can I put a link to Batman The Musical on my petiton site. Secondly, if a whole Jim Steinman Batman album is out of the question, then they should at least stick em on The Dark Knight soundtrack. And thirdly, is there any poetition to keep the musical going (cause my one is just for an album) but I would love to sign it just to let one of the coolest things ever see the light of day. Thanks about the artwork and I can't stop listening to Graveyard Shift, it's like the ending of Bad For Good but far superior
I talked to Ryan (who operates the BATMAN: THE MUSICAL site) and he says he'd be thrilled if you linked to the site... Thanks a million!

However, there is no real, formal petition for the show. I'm thinking you ought to change you're petition to promote the actual show...

The musical is far from financially impossible. It was written, but simply never staged because damned Warner Bros. decided to cancel it.

AND, what's even worse, is that they're thinking about doing the musical still, but completely writing a new version WITHOUT Jim's collaboration. :eek:

So I'd say we support the show itself, and not simply an album.

Alright, I've been thkinkg about it, and I take back that you should change the petition... Sorry about that. I think though the show itself still needs support, an album is an amzing idea, and would probably be much more likely to happen. :)

This is the dumbest idea ever...just as dumb if we saw a Batman On Ice show. :down

Hahaha... this again. Someone posted their ideas about a Batman musical in the fanfiction forum a few months ago... an interesting concept in itself, but still ridiculous and nealry impossible to stage.

ashtonu said:
Alright, I've been thkinkg about it, and I take back that you should change the petition... Sorry about that. I think though the show itself still needs support, an album is an amzing idea, and would probably be much more likely to happen. :)

Sorry, I'd forgotten to report back to you. I was not dismissing your post. And if it's ok with you, we'll keep the petition as an album cause 11 people have signed so far with that in mind. Plus it is an easier option for Warner Bros Entertainment. But I will work on getting a link to Batman The Musical, just been very busy recently.

No hurry; I've been rather swamped myself with all my musical projects.

But please do keep the album petition; it was dumb of me to say to change it, because I love the idea, and signed it right away. :up:

i would so love to see a batman musical....now my dream is dead

batman and musicals dont go together in my opinion, but i didnt hear the music so idk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"