The Winter Soldier Best CA stories?

A Necessary Evil

One. Bad. Day.
Reaction score
This film inspired me to start reading more CA. I've read TWS story arc, and I'm familiar with the Death of Captain America. However, anyone know more greats for him? Feel free to move this if needed, but I'm sure there's more than two good CA stories lol.

Well, I'm a fan of the more modern Cap stories, so needless to say, I'd pretty much recommend Brubaker's entire run.

Also Mark Waid's "Man Out of Time" from just a few years ago. In fact, I think Waid's earlier run in the 90's was also pretty great. "Operation: Rebirth" is definitely worth checking out, imo.

One classic Avengers story that I found to be mostly effective as a Cap story is Roger Stern's "Under Siege." I think it's from the 80's.

Last edited:
If you're looking for older stories, I've heard great things about Mark Gruenwald's run from the 80's, but haven't gotten around to reading them myself. The particular arcs I've heard the most praise for from that run are "The Captain" and "Captain America No More."

Looks like I'll be dropping some serious money at Stories soon. :D

I'd recommend Mark Waid's runs, the first is the last 12 or so issues of volume 1, and the second is volume 3.

I'm temped to give Man Out of Time and the Winter Soldier arc a look.

The Bloodstone Hunt by Mark Gruenwald is a favorite of mine and I haven't seen mentioned yet. It's a Indiana Jones/James Bond globetrotter and was the comic introduction for Crossbones. I also liked Red Glare by Mark Waid which is kinda a sequel to Operation:Rebirth. I'd recommend Secret Empire if you're looking for the '70s political conspiracy type stuff that partly influenced TWS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"