Biggest Waste of a Character?

Dr. Doom. Hands down, every day of the week. It's like if Dark Helmet were the best onscreen portrayal of Darth Vader.

:lmao: That's great !

Cavill's Superman. He has all the attributes to make Superman an icon again. Unfortunately for him and us this Superman has been a huge let down.

Agreed, and I don't blame Cavill for that - he's no Laurence Olivier or Gary Oldman but he's got the acting chops and the look to be a great Superman. I would say "Snyder's Superman" is a massive waste. I mean, Superman was more fun in guest appearances in 2 Supergirl episodes than in nearly 5 hours of movie time - so it's not that hard to make him enjoyable and iconic.

I feel like this question can't really be answered by a single character - because there are so many terribly wasted cbm characters - I honestly don't think I could work out the absolute worst, but Doom, Superman and a few others certainly stand out above the rest.

Yet when I think about what Fox did with Galactus,

Oh God ! Don't remind me, I've been re-reading old Byrne FF issues, and remembering what an incredible character Galactus has been. Heartbreaking that they turned him into a cloud of space crap.

And for everyone who's said Cyclops, totally agree. For me Cyclops has always been the essential X-man. He was among the first, in the comics, and has always embodied Xavier's dream. The fact that the X-films (except for First Class and XMA) have been based around Wolverine has meant that he's been pushed to the very back. I mean, Colossus got better service than Cyclops ever has in a movie about freakin Deadpool.

Last edited:
F4, Dr Doom, and Cyclops

Doom, Galactus, and Mr. Freeze are three of the most immediately glaring ones that come to mind.

I've never personally felt that we've gotten a big screen Lex that's lived up to the source, but there's a lot of people who love Hackman, so maybe he doesn't count.

Ronan and Hank Pym are two I'd add from recent films. I want to add Everret Ross, but there's still a chance Marvel could turn that around.

I will say Henry Cavill as Superman.

On the surface level he is pitch perfection and looks 100%... not 80%, not 90%... 100% like you expect Superman to look. He also appears to be a genuinely good guy with all the positive traits necessary to inhabit the role of Superman.

To think we might have had a great Superman, someone who might have been able to take the baton from Reeve, only to have him completely wasted like this.

Baron von Strucker might as well have been HYDRA Agent #3.

Cavill's Superman. He has all the attributes to make Superman an icon again. Unfortunately for him and us this Superman has been a huge let down.

Agreed on this. Guy's committed and has shown love towards the character, unfortunately he's stuck in the DCEU.

Oh man, I had forgotten about that. A guy who was pretty much Cap's number 2 nemesis in the comics, and he dies offscreen - ugh, Whedon what were you thinking ?

The entirety of SHIELD.

Baron Strucker.

Madame Masque.

Crosbones, Agent 13, and Zemo are the hat trick of wasted Captain America characters.

Jimmy Olsen.

Last edited:

Completely forgot about this one. Though I've never read Strucker in the comics myself, I know he's a major villain, and he was a throwaway character in the MCU.

Last edited:

I forgot about Strucker. Which just shows how wasted he was. Villains in general tend to get the short end of the stick (Strucker, Ronan, Darren Cross INO, etc...)

I actually liked the portrayal of Strucker...for all of the two minutes he had on screen. So yeah, he was completely wasted.

Galactus

Venom

Dr Doom

Cyclops

Rogue

Mandarin

Jared Leto as Jim Carrey as The Joker comes to mind...
Gonna agree with everyone else tho, Dr.Doom has been criminally ****ed in the past.

Three times. Not many characters can say they were done badly three times in a row.

Three times. Not many characters can say they were done badly three times in a row.

Although his eternal rival Reed Richards is right there with him.

We can only hope it ends up like Punisher where they finally got it right on the fourth try.

We can only hope it ends up like Punisher where they finally got it right on the fourth try.

Actually, I thought they got a few aspects of Reed reasonably well - his preoccupation with work for one. Although I've always thought of Reed as a much colder, more rational person than he's been portrayed - but that would be tough to do without making him completely unlikeable.

Still, nowhere near the complete mess that has been Doom. :doom:

I didn't see much of a problem with Ioan Gruffud's (God, whatever happened to that guy?) Reed. Or even Chris Evans's Johnny Storm and Michael Chiklis's Ben. Sue and Doom were the ones that the Tim Story F4 movies really didn't get right at all.

I didn't see much of a problem with Ioan Gruffud's (God, whatever happened to that guy?) Reed. Or even Chris Evans's Johnny Storm and Michael Chiklis's Ben. Sue and Doom were the ones that the Tim Story F4 movies really didn't get right at all.

I don't have many complaints about Evans or Chiklis. I thought they were good.

I didn't like Gruffud or Alba at all though. And the entire team sucked in Fant4stic.

Venom. I look forward to his inevitable return in the MCU.

Oh man, I had forgotten about that. A guy who was pretty much Cap's number 2 nemesis in the comics, and he dies offscreen - ugh, Whedon what were you thinking ?

Either Strucker or Baron Zemo (particularly Heinrich) could have been used to relaunch Hydra or some similar entity. If Marvel Studios doesn't intend to recast Red Skull, it should have been reasonable to expect one of Cap's other iconic villains to assume an ongoing antagonist role with both Steve and the Avengers. But now we have Strucker dead, Zemo pouting in a cell with no mention of his father, and Zola presumably dead. I hope Marvel Studios has plans for Madame Hydra, Baron Blood, or Sin Scmidt since they have cleaned out the cupboard so quickly.

Venom is far out of this list for me, he was done perfectly the first time.
Topher Grace delivered an underrated performance as the dip**** character that was written.
Mostly this one.

The entirety of SHIELD.

Baron Strucker.

Madame Masque.

Jimmy Olsen.
Yeah to all those, especially Jimmy, he never had a shining silver screen portrayal.

Doom, Galactus, and Mr. Freeze are three of the most immediately glaring ones that come to mind.
I actually think :doom: was decent in the 2005-2007 movies, it was wasted potential to not have him as a monarch, but for the movies he was in he was reasonably fine.

Venom. He shouldn't have been in that movie at all.

Cyclops is definitely one of the best answers. He's been severely underutilized thus far.

Curt Connors in Raimi's SM series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"