Superman Returns Blatant Foreshadowing In Novel Excerpt

Krin Sevrik

Civilian
Reaction score
But Lara knew as much as she prayed to Rao that one day she would cradle Kal-El’s own baby in her arms, tweaking its little nose, and gently pinching its soft, pillow cheeks, at some point in the next ten hours, when there was no longer any margin for error, she would wrap him securely in the brightly colored blanket she’d bought the previous month and kept boxed in the corner of the freshly painted bedroom next to theirs, then she would carefully tuck the blanket around him as she placed him gently into the crystal star they had kept hidden in a secret panel in their inner lab.

Crap.

jason lane will make you believe a boy can throw.

pianos

Still don`t and I will never understand the hatred against Superman being a father.

You're really reading into soemthing that doesn't exist. Obviously you've never been a parent.

SpiderDaniel said:
Still don`t and I will never understand the hatred against Superman being a father.

Because a hero gets the girl and a kid at the end of his quest. It is his reward, to have a normal life and love.

For Superman to be a babydaddy now makes no sense to me.

MatchesMalone said:
Because a hero gets the girl and a kid at the end of his quest. It is his reward, to have a normal life and love.

I agree,there were plenty of issues for him to deal with in this movie without adding superboy to the mix

It's the difference between Alan Moore's and Kurt Busiek's takes on the characters, and this "kid=emotional conflict" thing. In Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow", Superman ends up with a child, changes his name and ends his crime fighting career. He is content, happy, and at the end of his journey.

In Busiek's superior "Secret Identity", the twins are a natural progression of the character arc, and the character's dynamic is changed completely. Once the children are born, the story becomes less about Superman, and more of a metaphorical study of aging and self-actualization.

In Singer's supposed vision (based on the Mori, UGO, and AICN reviews), the kid is merely a plot device used to at first create a barrier between Lois and Superman, and then revealed to be the relationship saver as it is revealed who the child's father is. That smacks of lazy, hackneyed, and completely unmotivated storytelling.

MatchesMalone said:

His quest is just not getting the girl. His dreams is to make the world a better place and raise a family, be human. So, no, his journey is not over, just one step.

SpiderDaniel said:
His quest is just not getting the girl. His dreams is to make the world a better place and raise a family, be human. So, no, his journey is not over, just one step.

Spider, please put me on ignore. It will make this a happier place for your heart and my mind.

I`m not that stupid and close-mined. I just don`t agree that his quest is just getting the girl. What makes Superman great to me is that his quest is making the Earth a better place to live. He said that in Action Comics #775. So, if starts raising a family, its not the end of his quest. Its just another step. Read Secret Identity.

SpiderDaniel said:
I`m not that stupid and close-mined. I just don`t agree that his quest is just getting the girl. What makes Superman great to me is that his quest is making the Earth a better place to live. He said that in Action Comics #775. So, if starts raising a family, its not the end of his quest. Its just another step. Read Secret Identity.

I DID READ SECRET IDENTITY, READ MY POSTS IF YOU ARE GOING TO ARGUE WITH ME! CHRIST!

I never said his quest was getting the damn girl, you dolt! I said it was his reward at the END OF HIS QUEST. It is what he never expects to get, but ends up getting because of his hard work and selflessness.

Damn, have you ever read a heroic story outside of comic books?

Becoming human, a better person, fighting for truth and justice will not end with fatherhood. Its a fight the will endure all the days of his life and ours. He won`t stop fighting, unless he kills somebody and judges himself not good enough to be Superman, just like he did in Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow.

Spider. Understand this point. I don't care about what Superman will continue to do. I care about what will be a good story to tell. And a hero finding out he fathered a child and then left without saying a word to the mother is not one of them. Sorry. I will never see it as such.

Singer said that SII would not be in the continuity... So im thinking Jason is not superman's child.

MatchesMalone said:
Spider. Understand this point. I don't care about what Superman will continue to do. I care about what will be a good story to tell. And a hero finding out he fathered a child and then left without saying a word to the mother is not one of them. Sorry. I will never see it as such.
Superman: The Deadbeat Dad.:O...:D

MatchesMalone said:
I guess we agree to disagree. I just don`t see it like this. Superman didn`t even know he had a kid.

MatchesMalone said:
It's the difference between Alan Moore's and Kurt Busiek's takes on the characters, and this "kid=emotional conflict" thing. In Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow", Superman ends up with a child, changes his name and ends his crime fighting career. He is content, happy, and at the end of his journey.

Actually, to be more precise, he retires, and then decides to have a normal life. Which is something, I believe, he shouldn't do (retire), I believe he'll still be Superman even after Lois, Jimmy an everyone he knows die. But that was a great story.

In SR, he finds out he has a kid. It was something that was planned, so it's different form Moore's scenario.

He retires cause he doesn`t judge himself apt to be Superman anymore, to serve as an example, since he violated the precious code and killed, wich is amazing, understandable and one of the best Superman stories ever.

I don't think the majority of people is against the kid per se, but why in the first of what is probably a 3 or 4 movie stoy arc? I think people have a problem of how this will affect the sequels. Does Supe basically fight evil while worrying about a family now? Is theKal-el/Lois story essentially concluded (now that they have a kid)?

MatchesMalone said:

In Busiek's superior "Secret Identity", the twins are a natural progression of the character arc, and the character's dynamic is changed completely. Once the children are born, the story becomes less about Superman, and more of a metaphorical study of aging and self-actualization.

In Singer's supposed vision (based on the Mori, UGO, and AICN reviews), the kid is merely a plot device used to at first create a barrier between Lois and Superman, and then revealed to be the relationship saver as it is revealed who the child's father is. That smacks of lazy, hackneyed, and completely unmotivated storytelling.

This is probably one of the best points ever made in relation to the kid. You win.

THats on paper. One screen it can be amazing. Anyway, i really don`t care `cause you and Oldguy always criticize this movie. You guys wont ruin my enjoyment of the movie and i know it i`m going to like a lot, kid or not.

Krin Sevrik said:
But Lara knew as much as she prayed to Rao that one day she would cradle Kal-El’s own baby in her arms, tweaking its little nose, and gently pinching its soft, pillow cheeks, at some point in the next ten hours, when there was no longer any margin for error, she would wrap him securely in the brightly colored blanket she’d bought the previous month and kept boxed in the corner of the freshly painted bedroom next to theirs, then she would carefully tuck the blanket around him as she placed him gently into the crystal star they had kept hidden in a secret panel in their inner lab.

Crap.

that is some really bad writing right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"