Boldest directors in film making?

Sarge 2.0

Fire Walk With Me
Reaction score
First and foremost, let's differentiate between "bold" and "tasteless". Eli Roth, Gaspar Noe, Alexandre Aja, Catherine Breillat, Abel Ferarra, Virginie Despentes, etc. are tasteless.

For me, some of the boldest, most uncompromising directors in filmmaking are directors like Harmony Korine, Werner Herzog, David Lynch, Lars von Trier, people like that.

Who are some of yours?

So your definition of bold is self-absorbed?

So your definition of bold is self-absorbed?
No, bold as in uncompromising in their art, they make the kinds of films they want to make and everyone else can go screw themselves if they don't like it. Which director mentioned is self absorbed? :huh:

I think Roth may a combo of bold and tasteless...I like Aja quite a bit and don't really consider his films tasteless though, they're as visceral as they should be for their subject matter.
I thought Irreversible was good, but other than that haven't seen Noe's work.

Mel Gibson would be right at the top of my list.

I think Roth may a combo of bold and tasteless...I like Aja quite a bit and don't really consider his films tasteless though, they're as visceral as they should be for their subject matter.
I thought Irreversible was good, but other than that haven't seen Noe's work.

Mel Gibson would be right at the top of my list.
Roth seems like an OK guy and everything, but I've never seen a hint of artistic integrity in his work. Same for Noe, whose previous films should be viewed by people who were sucked in by Irreversible. They pretty much confirm his tastelessness and show that Irreversible merely masquerades as art. Abel Ferrara is another one who makes trash cleverly disguised as bold art, and unfortunately he's managed to fool a ton of people because they think Harvey Keitel kicked ass in Bad Lieutenant.

That's because Harvey Keitel did kick ass in "Bad Lieutenant".

John Waters.

Whether or not Harvey Keitel was any good in Bad Lieutenant is besides the point, the point is that typical Ferarra trash had people salivating because for some reason Keitel's performance created a mask of artistic legitimacy.

Not bold exactly per say but doesn't allow his vision to be tampered with. Terry Gilliam.

Not bold exactly per say but doesn't allow his vision to be tampered with. Terry Gilliam.

I'd like to add a big fat high five to this :woot:

Yeha there's plenty of guys who make more commercially driven films than Gilliam who also never compromise, James Cameron, Ridley Scott, Steven Speilberg, Martin Scorcese, etc.

As soon as I read the title I thought; Werner Herzog and David Lynch.

How awesome that they're making a movie together.

Abel Ferrara is another one who makes trash cleverly disguised as bold art, and unfortunately he's managed to fool a ton of people because they think Harvey Keitel kicked ass in Bad Lieutenant.

Thank you! I saw Bad Lieutenant and I couldn't believe what a garbage movie that is. Hated Keitel's performance aswell. I mean, that whining he does all the time must be one of the dumbest things I've seen in a movie. And when he's not whining he does...nothing.

Funny is that Werner Herzog has just made a movie with the title Bad Lieutenant, which is not a remake. Starring Nic Cage, Val Kilmer and Brad Dourif. It's one of my most anticipated.

Last edited:
While I'm not a fan of everything that he has done, I would say David Lynch for sure.

I'm a big Lynch fan.

Aronofsky fits the bill, as does Soderbergh (minus the O11 films).

Michael Moore may be a good candidate. Love him or hate him, he makes what he wants regardless of financial risk or public opinion.

Last edited:
No, bold as in uncompromising in their art, they make the kinds of films they want to make and everyone else can go screw themselves if they don't like it.
Uwe Boll fits that bill.

Jan Kounen is another.

Uwe Boll fits that bill.

Jan Kounen is another.
Which is why I should have added: "And they also must make movies with artistic legitimacy." :o

So Uwe Boll no longer fits that bill. :o

Woody Allen.

Although his films aren't necessarily artistic, he still makes films for the sake of entertaining himself.

"Of course, I would love everybody to see my films. But I don't care enough ever to do anything about it. I would never change a word or make a movie that I thought they would like. I really don't care if they come or not. If they don't want to come, then they don't; if they do come, then great. Do I want to do what I do uncompromisingly, and would I love it if a big audience came? Yes, that would be very nice. I've never done anything to attract an audience, though I always get accused of it over the years."

No, bold as in uncompromising in their art, they make the kinds of films they want to make and everyone else can go screw themselves if they don't like it. Which director mentioned is self absorbed? :huh:

In that case I would put Nolan, & M. Night Shyamalan in this category.

I think Guillermo del Toro is pretty bold.

Takashi Miike. I don't think I need to explain.

Danny Boyle
Mel Gibson
M.Night
That korean director who did OldBoy
David Fincher
Darren Arfonsky?

Uwe Boll lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads