Bought/Thought 10/10/12 starts NOW!

JewishHobbit

Avenger
Reaction score
So I ended up getting a decent number of comics this week, including an issue that came out before now. I don't know when, as I don't read the book, but something just drew me to it and I gave it a shot. I'll get to that in a moment.

I'll get Marvel out of the way:

Wolverine & the X-Men 18 - Typical Marvel: a tie-in to a big event that's already over. That aside the issue was decent. I think the title has suffered from AvX and I'm glad that starting next issue it can get on with it. This issue focuses on some of the students, which is good, though I'm really hoping the ending isn't as it seems. Do Brood regenerate? Also, what's the point of Husk in this book? She apparently is going through... something... but Aaron never gets to it and now she's going through more and leaves the school. I know that teachers were leaving but I'm really hoping there's more to her leaving than just leaving the book because that would just get on my nerves and the last thing I need is to get annoyed at one of the only Marvel books that I actually like.

AvX: Consequences 1 - I went back and forth on whether or not I should bother with this. I decided to give the first issue a shot since it's likely to deal with some important issues raised in AvX. It ended up being decent, though there's still no excuse as to why Magneto is lumped in with the Phoenix 5. Danger I get since she never actually went against them but Magneto stood with the X-Men and even brought additional help to stop them. That part is realy annoying and until it's explained it will continue to be stupid. The Hope scene bored me because we pretty much had this exact same scene after Second Coming in which she decided to go to Alaska to learn about her parents. I liked the Wakanda scene though I hate the reasoning behind it.

So basically, I hate the scenerios that the issue is dealing with because of my disdain for AvX, but I think I liked this issue a little because it's dealing with moving beyond those issues and that event. I'll at least get the next issue but it's an issue at a time for me.

Uncanny Avengers 1 - Turns out I really liked this issue. There was only one real issue for me and that's Maria Hill being director of Shield. What happened to Quake?! Did I miss something? That aside, I thought Remender did a fine job. I really like what he's doing with Alex here and the Rogue/Wanda moment was decent. I love Avalanche and hope that's not the end of him because he's a great character. Not sure what I think about that ending though. I'll wait to see more explanation before deciding what I think of it.

All in all it's a good first issue. I'm on board for now.

Stormwatch 13 - This was the issue that I picked up on a whim. It wasn't new, though I'm not sure when it came out, but it's the newest issue. I had the comics in my hand and was walking out when I passed by the newer DC shelf and saw it. I remembered Mysti talking about it in the DC forums and I skimmed it and saw a quick image of Spectre. I'm always drawn to him and though I knew he wasn't really anything in the issue I felt drawn to it. I bought it, read it, and loved it. Has Stormwatch always been this good? I haven't been following this or Demon Knights but Etrigan seemed pretty interesting and I liked Apollo and Midnighter. I know nothing about this title, so I'm a blank slate, but this might be something for me to keep my eye on.

Batman & Robin 13 - I picked this issue up, put it back, picked it up, put it back, and repeat about seven times. I sorta want to drop this book but then I do sorta like it too. I just can't decide and I decided to take it an issue at a time for now, so I bought the issue. It was decent and it pulls from both the Batman title and Batman Incorporated. I read both of those so that's no biggie for me. It was decent though I honestly have zero interest in zombies. This is only a two issue arc though if I'm not mistaken so I can handle it. It was decent enough to keep going for now. Two issues of this, two issues of the Joker event... I can probably stick through those. I love Gleason's art and Tomasi as a writer so that's what keeps me. I like their Damian.

Batman 14 - The one I've been waiting for and I'm glad to say it pays off. Before explaining that though I will complain about one thing... die-cut cover... ugh. I thought these were cool when I was a kid, not so much now. I was disappointed that they didn't have a normal cover alternative. Oh well.

That aside I thought the issue was phenominal. This begins the Death of the Family event and it's off to a great start. I think Snyder's channeling Heath Ledger's Joker regarding his motives here and how he does things, which is a good thing. I'm hooked with the first issue! I did feel that the backup (making me pay the extra dollar that I so dispise) was useless. We didn't need to see that story as it added nothing to what we already knew about it. But oh well, it was decently told anyhow.

Phantom Stranger 1 - Another one of my back and forth titles but it was only one issue in so I thought I should give it a few more. I ended up liking this issue better than the 0 issue. We get a pretty heartwrenching opening and then the introduction of Raven into the New 52. It was a good story and it seems like this whole "betrayer" storyline is building to something bigger where some sort of good comes from all this bad.

I'll stick with the title for now though I won't promise the long run. It's basically an issue at a time I think.

Best and Worst of the Week

Best: Batman 14 - Heck of a start to the major event that was originally going to be the opening arc of the New 52 Batman. I am suddenly more excited about this arc than I've been of any other book in a very long time.

Worst: AvX: Consequences 1 - It's not that this issue itself was bad as much as that it just didn't feel like it was necessary, or doing anything really. It's a set up issue and I expect the next 4 to be better but this one was just sorta blah. Plus, it brought back a lot of eye rolling regarding AvX proper.

I loved Uncanny Avengers as I stated in it's own thread. Since this thread is historically spoilerific, I just have to say that I wasn't expecting the (new) Red Skull to steal Xavier's brain to use it as a weapon a la the Infinity Gems or something. That last page was some real freaky s**t. Remender has shot the NOW era out of a cannon at light speed.

I also got AvX Consequences at the last minute. I wanted to see how Gillen handled other characters like some of the Avengers in particular. The story itself was decent though. The ending with Logan visiting Scott in prison was a good cliffhanger. I'll get the next issue to see how it pans out.

Wolverine & the X-Men #18: WHHHHHHHHY!? OH GOD WHY!? I LOVED YOU BROO! I LOVED YOU SOOOOO MUCH!
*runs away to cry in a corner*

Only read two of the four books I got today so far, but:

Batman #13 was the first issue of the series since #7 that I truly enjoyed. Since then, it's been either cliche, unmomentous nonsense, or just blandness. Snyder's depiction of The Joker is fairly twisted. I expect great things here, simply because of how well Snyder handled the Joker in the brief time he appeared during his run on Detective Comics. There's something quite chilling about Snyder's Joker. That said, I don't think Capullo's artwork does Snyder's take on Mr. J any justice at all. This is abundantly clear when one looks at Jock's artwork on the back-up. We get a generic looking superhero comic book followed by something totally unreal, atmospheric and incredibly horrifying. It only makes me wish more that Jock and Francesco Francavilla made the transition over to Batman with Snyder as full time artists.

Uncanny Avengers #1 was awesome. Not having read Avengers vs X-Men, I didn't really have a problem knowing what was going on so that was great. I actually really like Remender. I liked (most) of his Punisher run. And I tried getting on-board with his Secret Avengers but the AVX tie-ins prompted me to drop the book. So we'll see how long this goes before it stalls. Cassaday's artwork really makes the book look spectacular. It's definitely got something special about it. And not really knowing a whole lot about him, I bought the book mainly because there's just something all sorts of cool about Havok. But I was very impressed by this book. I'll be sticking with it.

AvX: Consequences 1 - Man I really didn't like this. So Marvel has gone with kicking Cyclops while his down approach.

I knew there would be repercussions but Scarlet Witch, Magneto, Doctor Doom, jean Grey and many others didn't get as bad treatment as Scott Summers is getting now with Prison beatings and what not.

Wolverine pontificating is silly as well seeing as his murdered hundreds of innocent people over his life span.

Batman & Robin 13 - Damien beating up a toad man after Talia put a bounty on his head. Very weird but enjoyable. I love the father son stuff with Bruce and Damien.

Uncanny Avengers #1
A great start to the new Marvel status quo. Remender's writing was great as usual and Cassidy's art was better than anyone who's touched the Avengers titles in years. My only complaint was how large the panels were and how smaller panels (as in Secret Avengers) allow for much more story in a single issue. Regardless, this was a great issues and I'm extremely optimitstic about the Now direction. (4/5)

Secret Avengers #32
This series has been phenomenal since Remender took over a year ago. In my opinion, this has been the best Avengers title on the market for quite a while and this issue proved why. As the Abyss storyline concludes with a lead-in to a follow up adaptoid arc, the title shows no indication of slowing down. As I noted in my first review, the size of panels in this book make each issue seem so much meatier than most other title (*cough*Iron Man*cough*) and you really seem to get a lot of (high-quality) story for your money. Anyway, excellent witing combined with good (but not great) art make this one title I'll be sad to see end (4.5/5)

Invincible Iron Man #526
Despite the complaints of many on this board, Fraction can write decent stories when he tries. I can sympathize with the detractors though, as Fear Itself was unbelievably mediocre and his Punisher WarJournal was absolutely abysmal. So, I know where everyone's coming from. However, his work on Invincible Iron Man has been consistently good (despite a few hiccups) since he took over. This is one of those rare problems. Fraction's ideas for Iron Man have been great, the plots hve been intricate and complex, the art fits the characters (all armors look beatiful) and the large arcs have been pretty epic. That said, this issue concludes a 17 (!) issue storyline that's been years in the making without any real payoff. A year and a half to a showdown with the Mandarin ends in a 1/2 issue fight. As with his "Detroit Steel" arc (9 issues!), Fraction has once again written a horrible anti-climax to an otherwise great story. Also, Larroca's (formerly great) art has gotten really sloppy in the past few months. This might be due to the doubleshipping that's been happening since Fear Itself ended.

Additionally, as I keep noting, the panels in this book are huge (4 maximum per page), meaning that every issue seems incredibly short. At $3.99 and 20 pages, I expect to spend more than 5 minutes on an issue. As much as I have enjoyed Fraction's Invincible Iron Man, it's time for some new blood. I welcome the Marvel Now creative relaunch with open arms. In summary, a poor ending for an otherwise epic arc that could have been one of the greatest Iron Man stories ever written if it had been executed a little better. (2/5)

Avengers #31
I should preface by saying that I don't share most of the board's extreme hatred for Bendis. However, I do find him quite mediocre at crafting stories, his dialogue childish and predictable, and his lack of continuity respect maddening. Okay, I may not hate the man but I really dislike most of his work. That said, this issue of Avengers may have been his best work on the title since the post-Siege relaunch. For once, the dialouge is decent, the story is intriguing, and the art, my god the art. Finally, a decent artist on this title. The Avengers vs. X-men tie-in artist was okay but Romita, Jr. ruined the first 15 issues or so for me. This title finally got an artist worthy of drawing the Avengers in the 21st century! The "future" artist is a little rough (what's with the line shadows?) but the main artist is mind-blowingly good. At least, in comparison to prior artists anyway. So, to wrap up, this issue probably won't win over any Bendis haters but, IMO, it may be one of the best things he's written. I was pleasently surprised and hope this trend continues until the relaunch. (4/5)

I also picked up Venom #6 -15 (with all the .1 issues) but haven't gotten to read them yet. I expect good things as the first trade (issues 1-5) was amazing. Remender took a B-list Spider-man villain who I mildly enjoyed on the Thunderbolts and crafted a character that breaks into my to five favorite characters in the MU. If I had to give a rating to the first five issues, it would be my first 5/5 since the "Dark Angel" saga in Uncanny X-Force, Ellis' Thunderbolts run, and Ennis' Punisher Max title. Good stuff!

So, this was a pretty good week. Remender was great. Bendis was uncharacteristically good. Fraction was okay. No terrible writing or art for once. I really hope this trend continues into Marvel Now. If anyone can bring quality back to the Avengers franchise, it's Remender and Hickman. I'll raise a glass to the new MU!

Last edited:
I skimmed Avengers and was it me or was that Wasp running around all shrouded? I remember a future solicit making me think that she might return so I wonder if that's what Bendis is doing here.

I skimmed Avengers and was it me or was that Wasp running around all shrouded? I remember a future solicit making me think that she might return so I wonder if that's what Bendis is doing here.

Not unless she's a redhead now. However, if they're travelling to inner space that would make a little sense. I don't think anyone knows yet.

When does Warzone (Punisher) come out!!!??:dry::hrt:

Just hours before the NYCC, and I'm in a rush. Spoilers, etc.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 10/10/12:

AVENGERS VS. X-MEN: CONSEQUENCES #1: Or AVX: CONSEQUENCES as the cover details. This is apparently a 5 issue epilogue mini series to the 12 issue AVX maxi-series written by Kieron Gillen with art by Tom Raney and colors by Jim Charalampidis. It helps lay down the new "Marvel NOW!" status quo alongside UNCANNY AVENGERS #1 this week. It covers the immediate aftermath, in particular Wolverine trying to do his best to lead his students from the Jean Gray School as well as attempt to help as best he can. It turns out Storm in general and mutants in particular are unwelcome in Wakanda after Namor's attack, which perhaps is the most flawed strategy the otherwise perfect nation has ever engaged in; the pristine jewel of Africa which has risen above the racism of the white man is now slipping into racism themselves in response to a disaster. There's some irony there but I wonder how much will be addressed seriously. Hope has another aimless scene where she decides all she wants to do after her big moment is live and be normal, which I thought AVX #12 covered well enough. She existed to fulfill this one thing; it's done and now she really has no reason to bother. It would be nice if she discovered a personality besides "teenage girl plot device", but I doubt it. Cap has a talk with Logan trying to sort out their next move, and Logan is crossed between wanting to live up to Xavier's ideals versus doing what he's wanted to do since the 1970's; kill Cyclops for some reason or another. Meanwhile, Cyclops is very much Hannibal Lector in red goggles as he's transported to a nefarious privately run prison for mutants which seeks to capitalize on the emergence of more mutants, and thus more mutant criminals. The nameless warden/CEO makes sure to deliver his antagonist's monologue as well as knock Cyke down a peg as much he can. The issue ends with Logan meeting with Cyke, which would be dramatic if UNCANNY AVENGERS #1 didn't essentially reveal that nothing too noteworthy happens.

Marvel NOW! is the new status quo after the crossover which pushes a slew of new launches and relaunches, much as SHATTERED HEROES was after FEAR ITSELF, HEROIC AGE was after SIEGE, and after DARK REIGN was after SECRET INVASION. As such this series will give clues as to the gist of the Marvel Universe for the next year, as per the norm for the past 5 at least. Much like the last, there is some genuine potential here, which merely requires the reader swallow a great wad of hokum. DARK REIGN, for example, was perfectly fine so long as one accepted a convicted terrorist, psychopath, and murderer Norman Osborn being made secretary of defense merely because he shot an alien on TV without any attempt to erase or explain his criminal past (not even blaming it on a Skrull falsely like Quicksilver did). To this end Marvel NOW! has the aim of mingling mutants and other heroes more to the degree that you have some extra X-Men in some additional Avengers rosters, as well as finally pitting a nail into M-Day's coffin after 7 years. The hokum one has to swallow is Cyclops being punished for crimes that Scarlet Witch and to a degree Wolverine have never been punished for when they committed similar crimes. It seems that Wanda is in like Flynn with the Avengers again merely because she's awfully sorry and because her dangerously unstable powers that the Avengers violently feared were recently convenient. True, THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE blamed much of her mania on Dr. Doom, but the fact of the matter was that M-Day did mere than merely erase powers; it KILLED PEOPLE. Many depowered mutants actually DIED, many of them violently. Sally Floyd had a whole mini series about that. Sure, you could argue that like Cyclops, it was due to an outside force (Dr. Doom's meddling); unlike Cyclops, Wanda hasn't been locked up or made to answer for it; all she gets is a punch from Rogue in another book. It is awfully convenient that both Wanda and Diamondback, two women with shady pasts and many unanswered crimes under their belts, happen to be ex's of Cap and also happen to be peachy keen with SHIELD now. Wolverine is another figure who has sporadically, and recently, been possessed and went on rampages. Under HYDRA possession he led a raid on SHIELD in which many agents as well as Hornet were brutally murdered (ENEMY OF THE STATE via Mark Millar); even Jason Aaron had Wolverine become possessed by Mephisto/Satan and go on a rampage. He's not been locked up for whatever reason or made to answer for it, apparently because he's been an Avenger a while and is buddies with Nick Fury. Yet Cyclops is a monster because he was possessed by the Phoenix and people died. Cyclops didn't seek such a thing; it only happened after the Avengers provoked a fight via the logic of a "preemptive strike" and Iron Man personally meddled with the Phoenix. Cyclops and the rest of the Five weren't even blowing up anyone but dictators before the Avengers again provoked them. It is terribly convenient that Iron Man and Cap, adversaries in CIVIL WAR in which people also got hurt and died in the effects of their squabble, stood united in oppression. It is hypocritical and artificial, existing only because someone twigged this would be a good angle for Cyclops regardless of it was consistent with other characters' actions, and it is hokum, plain and simple. On the other hand, one could argue that the fact that justice is delivered unequally based on who certain figures happen to know - nepotism exists, even with superheroes - is the most realistic element of Marvel. I mean, a Kennedy commits vehicular homicide and it's not even a speed bump in his career; a Joe or Jane Nobody does it, their life is ruined forever without any second chance. So it makes perfect sense that a woman who once swapped spit with Cap would get a free pass for things she did while possessed so long as she was awfully sorry, but someone else who wasn't wouldn't. In fairness I don't think Cyclops and Cap have ever gotten along much. But that's as close as I get to making sense of it. Cyclops can say that he was right, that had the Avengers not meddled and even helped, Phoenix would have done it's job and nobody would have had to die, but neither the Avengers nor the UNIVERSE ITSELF acknowledge him. The fact that Wolverine, someone who SHOULD know and understand the horror of what it means to be forced to hurt or kill people against your will by an outside force, even a force one invited - Wolverine supposedly was involved in founding Weapon X, after all, and was once friends and allies with Sabretooth and no end of nasty killers - yet seems to treat Cyclops as a monster because he's never liked him just makes Logan look like more of an immortal hypocritical jackass, unworthy to lead a barroom bathroom much less a school of impressionable youths. But, such is life.

Bottom line? Gillen writes good characters and a good script. Raney's art is good. And it is nice after 60 years of mutants being slaughtered in broad daylight by robots or bigots with fancy weapons and virtually no superhero giving a damn about it, Cap's decided the best strategy is what he's always done for inclusiveness; add tokens to his teams. The Marvel NOW! banner like most others has some potential, so long as you can swallow a whopper. Admittedly, it's not as big as "Norman Osborn, America's Most Beloved Hero Ever" was.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #18: This issue marks the penultimate issue of Ed Brubaker's award winning and franchise defining run on this series. Considering his first issue of CAPTAIN AMERICA was in January 2005, this run will stand at over 7.5 years long; a run which few writers can brag about at Marvel these days besides J. Michael Straczynski on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. For this arc Brubaker has been joined by Cullen Bunn on the script, although the next and final issue of the run will a solo Brubaker affair. On hand for the art is Scot Eaton, with Rick Magyar on inks and Guru-EFX on colors (which is hopefully a pen name). The simplest way to describe this issue is that it is the action packed Hollywood blockbuster style end to the past year and change's worth of stories. The game of cat and mouse with Codename Bravo and the new Queen Hydra has reached a climax and this issue features a lot of explosions and battle from three fronts. Falcon and Diamondback (Cap's ex) attempt to save Manhattan from giant Mad Bombs while Sharon Carter and Dum Dum Dugan fight Baron Zemo to stop a mind-altering satellite. Finally, Captain America leads a SHIELD squadron against the HYDRA stronghold itself. Bunn and Brubaker attempt to make some commentary about how destructive and venomous the "entertainment news media" can be to society, but the effect is so hackneyed that it seems to exist to set up some final duels. The issue succeeds because those sequences are satisfying and well paced, as Brubaker seems to always manage in his comics. The bad guys lose, Cap keeps the girl and everything seems to work out right, making it hard to imagine how the next issue could top it. It will be difficult picturing this franchise without Brubaker as its steward, but at least that era doesn't begin for another few weeks.

FANTASTIC FOUR #611: Another week, another false FINAL ISSUE from Marvel. They really have to stop this because they're quickly becoming a parody of themselves. At any rate, Jonathan Hickman ends his extended run on the franchise (roughly 4 years) with a bit of a confusing and complicated issue. He dedicates it to Reed, Nathaniel, Val, and Dr. Doom; the characters he cared the most about. Apparently Dr. Doom utilized a universe of his counterparts to make his own universe, which has turned on him and required Future Val get Reed and his allies to save him, because he's their franchise villain. They do, and that's it. It is supposed to mix tenderness with sci fi but it just didn't quite work for me. Val seems to be Layla Miller 2.0 at times which gets bland. Ryan Stegman's art is good although none of these issues I feel were worth yanking him from SCARLET SPIDER over. I won't say this ended with a whimper, but it sure as hell didn't end with a bang to me. It's left me less than convinced to give Hickman a try on Avengers, but it may come down to whim.

SCARLET SPIDER #10: With AVENGERS VS. X-MEN finally over, Marvel Comics' editorial push has shifted into the "Marvel NOW!" era; the finale of every crossover seems to lead to a new editorial push. Yet while this week brings about several launches of new series (ongoing and mini), and the finales of other franchise runs, there actually is a smaller crossover going on between two titles which are standing pat. Those titles are this one as well as VENOM, and that small crossover began last week with the title of "MINIMUM CARNAGE". Thus, after nine issues of being allowed to exist in its own world, writer Chris Yost has begun the first step towards branching out the titular Scarlet Spider - the reformed clone of Spider-Man named Kaine - beyond simple adventures in Houston. A one shot last week started the ball rolling and this issue keeps it moving, with Khoi Pham and Reilly Brown on art with tag teams of inkers and colorists in tow.

The crossover began with the symbiote alien empowered serial killer Carnage being released from prison by an unknown power and making his way to a NASA space lab in Houston. Carnage has apparently made a deal to kill for a group of small alien beings in exchange for his freedom, and his latest spree is intended to bring his partners back home to their dimension. This naturally brought on the attention of Agent Venom/Flash Thompson as well as Kaine. Naturally, this issue is centered more on Kaine's point of view as well as his contrast with Thompson. While Flash has his control issues, at heart he is a soldier who seeks to do good because he's inspired by Spider-Man, while Kaine practically stumbles into vigilantism by accident and subconscious pangs of guilt. After Thompson's symbiote goes haywire for an unknown reason to get the standard "battle of misunderstanding between heroes" out of the way, the two eventually team up to follow Carnage and his partners into the next world. It not only leads to new and bizarre landscapes and creatures, but delving into the mythology of another long time Marvel Universe dynamic - the "Microverse" in general and the Micronauts in particular.

Much like with the previous arc in SCARLET SPIDER which featured the Rangers, most of the fun in Yost's script comes from Scarlet Spider's angry and impulsive narration as well as his contrast when compared to a more straightforward hero. He is a very much a "darker Spider-Man" in that while he is often funny, it is via a darker and more aggressive form of humor and manner than the traditional web-slinger is. The artwork by Pham and Reilly is quite good, with some exceptionally clean inks and color work despite such work being split among four people. The biggest risk the story has is connecting a well known figure like Carnage to the relatively obscure world of the Micronauts. Originally a licensed property from a Japanese toy company from 1979 to 1986, Marvel Comics have managed to retain the rights to use most of their notable characters from that era as well as the general framework of that universe. Having gone out of print before many modern Marvel fans were reading their comics (or reading in general, or even born), it does run the risk of cluttering a simple team-up story with a reference from a prior generation. Fortunately, Yost is wise to capitalize on his star characters not knowing the Micronauts either and thus introducing them to readers rather than instantly demand understanding. While mixing Carnage with the Microverse only seems to relate due to both relating to space, that absurdity is also part of the charm.

While this is more of a bizarre story than some other small crossovers such as "The Omega Effect" between DAREDEVIL, PUNISHER, and AVENGING SPIDER-MAN was, it also is a crossover which is willing to take that risk. Team-ups between heroes are old hat, so any story which seeks to offer something unexpected while still hitting expected tropes is to be commended. The weakest link in the chain is writer Cullen Bunn, whose work on VENOM isn't quite as strong as Yost's work on SCARLET SPIDER is, but this still continues to be a weird but completely enjoyable adventure.

SECRET AVENGERS #32: The OTHER Avengers book by Rick Remender this week wraps up its Abyss storyline, playing with dozens of spare villains as well as leftovers from Brubaker scripts. Venom and Ant-Man are forced to battle an entire island of possessed allies and enemies alike to try to stop the mystical Abyss from spreading. Having Taskmaster as its central host, Venom eventually catches on that since his symbiote is toxic to it, donning the magic crown will undo it. Considering Black Widow's strategy to submit and hope authorities on the ground will stop the plane full of spreaders backfires, it is good that Thompson came through with the save. By this stage it seems obvious who Remender's favorite member of the team is, but I don't mind since Bunn's VENOM is a bit underwhelming thus far. Thompson and Valkyrie finally bump uglies and O'Grady stands revealed as being an Adaptoid impostor. Hawkeye dismisses the fact, which causes Black Widow to leave in a huff. O'Grady calls his evil alter ego "the Black Ant", which made me laugh because it reminded me unintentionally of "The Black Adder". I mean, "Black Ant" has to be the least threatening codename since Black Canary or Night Gerbil. Yet a robotic being acting oblivious to a lame codename works for me. The art by Matteo Scalera and colors by Matthew Wilson are good, and this remains the best run this third string series has had.

UNCANNY AVENGERS #1: Kicking off the bold new "Marvel NOW!" editorial era is this new ongoing series team title written by Rick Remender, drawn by John Cassaday and colored by Laura Martin. The roster does what the title implies; merge some X-Men (Havok, Wolverine, Rogue) with some Avengers (Capt. America, Thor, Scarlet Witch) to represent the new era of cooperation between teams and species. Delivering 22 pages for $3.99 - which counts as "extra sized" these days - all of the characters appear and the main antagonist is established, although like many debut issues the actual team has yet to be formed. The issue features Logan holding a funeral for Professor X, SHIELD attempting to recruit Havok as a leader figure intended to replace the imprisoned Cyclops, Cap and Thor in action and a cat-fight between the two mutant ladies with potent powers and checkered pasts. The art is up to Cassaday's usual fantastic standards with terrific color work; while it is unlikely Cassaday will be able to maintain a monthly schedule for many issues, at least those issues will be beautiful to behold. The issue offers some great dialogue and narration by Remender which manages to get the gist of each character right as well as offer an obligatory battle against a known villain (which at least unites half the team). In fact the biggest downer is how aside for Rogue, Scarlet Witch is getting a pass for her own crimes since 2004 due to her Avengers past while Cyclops has become Hannibal Lector with red goggles. The lead villain is also a villain who had been notably killed off by Ed Brubaker several years ago, although his appearance is quite disturbing and effective. All in all, while not a flawless introduction into the "Marvel NOW!" era, it is better than some cynics may believe.

Oh I see. I wonder if thats fair, after all they let Wolverine join.

Uncanny Avengers was pretty good. The ending was pretty freakish, but I'll see where Remender goes with it. Kind of glad Thor was just on civilian duty this time. I swear, the way he's been going, that inanimate building probably would've found a way to kick his ass if he'd done anything more. :csad:

Punisher Warzone still isn't out yet! :(

Thanks!!! Now the next issue he's fighting Black Widow. I don't wanna see that, they seemed to have some chemistry going in in volume 1 Punisher War Journal issue 9.

"Go back to Queens to the Red Clown!"

When I was a snot nosed teenager I'd use this line to women when theyd inform me they were returning to their ex boyfriends.

So that being said, I hope they don't end up fighting each other and instead wind up in some nowhere motel. :D I can't wait to see how Punisher and Thor interact. I think since they are both warriors, (Im hoping Thor has knowledge of his encounter with Ulik) they might end up becoming vatos. I had a dream I saw Thor Punisher and Moon Knight having burritos at a taco truck. Maybe a premonition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"