''Breaking Into Comics the Marvel Way''

NightBeetle

Turbo Justice!!!!
Reaction score
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091217-breaking-in-marvel-way.html

2q0qbuh.jpg

In early 2010 Marvel will get even further ahead of the career curve in a March-debuting two-issue series called Breaking Into Comics the Marvel Way, a showcase that will not only spotlight a group of up-and-coming “breakout” artists, but also serve as a resource book giving tools, instruction, and advice to aspiring creators looking to become the future generation of Marvel “Young Guns”.

The project is outgrowth of Marvel Editor – slash – Talent Liaison – slash – Talent Scout C.B. Cebulski’s “ChesterQuest” (the “C” in C.B. is for “Chester” in case you were wondering), an initiative announced in 2007 that saw Cebulski hit the road and the air traveling around the globe to 20 cities over 9 months looking for the next wave of Marvel creative talent.

Each of the two 56-page issues will feature 6 brand new 8-page stories written by Marvel stars like Brian Bendis, Peter David, Mike Carey, Jonathan Hickman, and Marc Guggenheim, illustrated by one of the “Breakout” artists found during “ChesterQuest”, along with insider commentary from Cebulski on how the featured artists got their work seen and how they landed a Marvel gig, as well as comprehensive submissions information and a sample Marvel script.

For more details, Newsarama spoke with Cebulski, along with Marvel Associate Editor Daniel Ketchum (Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Psylocke) and Assistant Editor Jordan D. White (Incredible Hulk, Incredible Hercules, Son Of Hulk).

Newsarama: So fellas, for those of us old enough to remember it [guilty], Breaking Into Comics the Marvel Way sounds something along the lines of a contemporary, cooler The Official Marvel Try-Out Book. Is the comparison apt at all? How are the books similar and different?

Daniel Ketchum: I think I'm familiar with the The Official Marvel Try-Out Book that you're referring to. That particular book broke down a comic into its disciplines (writing, penciling, inking, etc.) and had short tutorials on each one, almost like a paperback book version of a trade school. I think this book differs in that it's not as much a guide to honing a craft as much as it is about garnishing work once you've mastered that craft. It’s meant to be a guide for breaking into mainstream comics.

C.B. Cebulski: Yeah, they're not the exact same thing.

Back in the day, the The Official Marvel Try-Out Book was an amazing project to show fans and artists just how comics are made and how it's all physically done and produced, with actual pages for prospective talent to work on. Or "try out" on, I guess.

Breaking Into Comics the Marvel Way will be a little bit different. This will be more of "how to" guide about breaking into comics in this day and age. It will spotlight Marvel's new policies on submissions for writers and artists, offer examples of samples scripts and penciled layouts & pages, talk to established creators on how they got their foot in the door, and most importantly, feature new, in-continuity Marvel stories, written by these established writers and illustrated by the 12 new artists I found during my ChesterQuest International Talent Search.

That's really cool. I've always wanted to be a comic writer, I'll have to check this out.

While there seems to be more opportunities for aspiring artists to get noticed than aspiring writers, if this book has some info for writers I'll be sure to check it out.

I'll probably check this out. There are plenty of resources out there already detailing ways of getting into the industry, but I'm always interested in seeing how people already within the industry managed to work, cajole, or stumble their way in. It always boggled my mind, for example, that Mike Wieringo was bagging groceries in his 40s or 50s before he got the idea to break into comics.

While there seems to be more opportunities for aspiring artists to get noticed than aspiring writers, if this book has some info for writers I'll be sure to check it out.
Step 1: Learn to draw...

hehe, believe me if I could draw I would have made my own comic by now

I'm pretty much the same way.

It's funny reading writers guides because they pretty much say that in all of them (because its true) its just a LOT easier to break into the industry from what I can tell if you can draw some.

Basically from what I know, the "easiest" way for a writer to break into the industry is to actually produce your own indie comic. Quite a few professional (and struggling) writers claim that nothing grabs the attention of an editor than someone who has the drive to invest their own time and money in an artist and sometimes even publishing. It helped get, say, Robert Kirkman off the ground with BATTLE POPE. It shows an editor that this writer/creator is passionate enough about comics to actually make his/her own without a golden parachute, and that builds respect. Part of the "paying your dues" process. Bendis started that way, too. It is why he used to joke that very few comic writers are under 30.

Either that or being lucky enough to get an intern gig and make quite an impression. :p

Or, winning a Wizard video contest (Zeb Wells).

Or, being a friend of Kevin Smith.

You can always make a hit TV show. Lots of writers are starting out that way these days:up:

Basically from what I know, the "easiest" way for a writer to break into the industry is to actually produce your own indie comic. Quite a few professional (and struggling) writers claim that nothing grabs the attention of an editor than someone who has the drive to invest their own time and money in an artist and sometimes even publishing. It helped get, say, Robert Kirkman off the ground with BATTLE POPE. It shows an editor that this writer/creator is passionate enough about comics to actually make his/her own without a golden parachute, and that builds respect. Part of the "paying your dues" process. Bendis started that way, too. It is why he used to joke that very few comic writers are under 30.

Either that or being lucky enough to get an intern gig and make quite an impression. :p

Or, winning a Wizard video contest (Zeb Wells).

Or, being a friend of Kevin Smith.

Or being friends with Geoff Johns. That's how Sterling Gates got his career started out of literally nowhere. Thankfully his run on Supergirl is phenomenal (turning on of DC's worst books and worst characters into something that is actually good makes him phenomenal in my eyes).

Now that I think about it, maybe if I read this book, maybe I can pitch my Power Rangers idea to Marvel :p

2yxiuiw.jpg

BREAKING INTO COMICS THE MARVEL WAY! #1 & 2 (of 2)
Written by C.B. CEBULSKI with BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS, CHRIS YOST, MARC GUGGENHEIM, STUART MOORE, MIKE BENSON, KATHRYN
IMMONEN, PETER DAVID, JONATHAN HICKMAN, MIKE CAREY, SIMON SPURRIER, KEVIN GREVIOUX & FRANK TIERI

Penciled by MICHELE BERTILORENZI, PAUL DAVIDSON, SERENA FICCA, DAMION HENDRICKS, CHRISTIAN NAUCK, JOE SUITOR, TOMASSO
BENNATO, THOMAS LABOUROT, MATTEO SCALERA, STEPHEN
THOMPSON, SHAUN TURNBULL & GABRIEL HERNANDEZ WALTA
Cover for issue #1 by MATTEO DE LONGIS
Cover for issue #2 by LOST FISH

Want to know what it takes to break into Marvel Comics like these guys? Then look no further than this two-part book which is a must-have for anyone wanting to be a Comic Book Breakout Star! After traveling the globe and meeting scores of talented illustrators, intrepid writer, editor and talent manager C.B. Cebulski is giving twelve rising star artists the opportunity to do their breakout work at Marvel Comics! But not only will BREAKING INTO COMICS THE MARVEL WAY showcase the work of these up-and-comers, C.B. will also provide an insider’s commentary on how these artists got their work seen and what it was that landed them the gig. And with step-by-step submission information and a sample Marvel Comics script, these books are MUST HAVES for anyone interested in doing their breakout work and breaking into the comics industry!
56 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"